The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by censorshipsuks
Actually, I just got an email from UCAS saying that my place for LSE is confirmed despite failing TOEFL by 1 point.
So I guess failing by a few mark really won't prevent you from getting accepted.

Lucky you......congratulations you deserve to be there.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
I failed TOEFL by 1 point (I scored 114 exceeding the overall requirement but I only scored 24 in speaking failing the requirement by 1 point), but I still manage to get accepted. So go ahead. I don't think a few point matters.

114 in TOEFL :eek::eek::eek::eek:
you mean you had 30 in every other part???
How did you manage to get that score?
Where are you from and what qualifications do you have?
yeaaaa.....I mean I was in US for 4 years even though I am asian...

I only felt the speaking section is weird because you get timed and you have to speak to a machine. I guess thats why my score in speaking is so low.

I applied with my AP grades, I got 5s in 14 subjects, and 4 in Physics C EM, and 1 in Biology.
Reply 23
yeaaaa.....I mean I was in US for 4 years even though I am asian...

I only felt the speaking section is weird because you get timed and you have to speak to a machine. I guess thats why my score in speaking is so low.

I applied with my AP grades, I got 5s in 14 subjects, and 4 in Physics C EM, and 1 in Biology.

wow again...
And your score in speaking isnt considered low at all.
Reply 24
Hi there!
So!
One year later, and I'm in your situation as well. I'm an italian student and I took 105/107 in the TOEFL test, which was half of a miracle considering how stressful is that test. I applied both for King's college and for the LSE, and I accepted the king's conditional offer... before learning that they didn't ask for 100/120 at the TOEFL for my MSc, as I thought, but for 109. And they rejected my 105, telling me that I had to take no less than 109 to get in (So, for any other person in my situation at King's... they are damn strict). By the way, I was so frustrated that I reconsidered LSE's offer, which, luckily, was still available.
Now, I'm waiting for LSE answer. I have to say that I met the other conditions...
Reply 25
hi. i'm an international offer holder and i scored 107 in the toefl with 24 in the speaking section. however they require a score of 107 with a minimum of 25 in the 4 different sections.

if they are so strict concerning english language requirements, i think that my only choice is to retake the toefl and get the required score....
Reply 26
Original post by a5a09
Hi guys, I am an international student. LSE require me to get a certain grade in a english test (IELTS) but unfortunately I failed to achieve that level which means I will be absolutely miss my offer. Does it mean that I will be 100% rejected by LSE? Did anyone who failed the english test but still get into LSE? I have sent an e-mail to LSE to ask already and I am still waiting for their reply.

To be safe, retake the exam until you meet their requirement. You still have time until August which is the cut off dateline. My friend was rejected when his grades are above LSE requirements and his IELTS was above requiremnt ie 7 for 3 section and he missed only 0.5 for his writing section. He got 6.5 vs 7 as per the requirement. A terribly narrow miss but they are terribly strict. you may hear some ple being accepted and there again that depends on demand and supply for that year if you do not want to take chances.
Original post by max muller
hi. i'm an international offer holder and i scored 107 in the toefl with 24 in the speaking section. however they require a score of 107 with a minimum of 25 in the 4 different sections.

if they are so strict concerning english language requirements, i think that my only choice is to retake the toefl and get the required score....

I had a similar issue mate, got the same score as you overall in my first go at it, but I genuinely think there was an issue with my microphone or something because I got a 21 on the speaking, and LSE told me that wasn't enough.

I Re-took it, and got a total of 118/120 thankfully. Just re take it to be fully safe, maybe do a practice test or two before you go in. The lack of familiarity to the nature of the test kind of unsettled me the first time I took it.
Reply 28
Original post by abhiksetia
I had a similar issue mate, got the same score as you overall in my first go at it, but I genuinely think there was an issue with my microphone or something because I got a 21 on the speaking, and LSE told me that wasn't enough.

I Re-took it, and got a total of 118/120 thankfully. Just re take it to be fully safe, maybe do a practice test or two before you go in. The lack of familiarity to the nature of the test kind of unsettled me the first time I took it.

I'm pretty worried, also because I was so happy of my 105/120 and I'm not so confident that I could achieve an higher score in TOEFL. That speaking thing just freaked me out, I was surrounded by people screaming with kind of volunteering they would have chosen in 45 seconds, can't help it I just got confused... What do you think of the IELTS?
Original post by starrover
I'm pretty worried, also because I was so happy of my 105/120 and I'm not so confident that I could achieve an higher score in TOEFL. That speaking thing just freaked me out, I was surrounded by people screaming with kind of volunteering they would have chosen in 45 seconds, can't help it I just got confused... What do you think of the IELTS?

Thing is mate, the english in that test is really really basic, there's nothing that would challenge anyone whose had a full education based in english from the outset. If you practice and familiarize yourself with the nature of the test, I bet your score will increase. When I took it for the first time, I lost like 4-5 points just because I didn't know what kind of essays they look for, what kind of notes to take in the speaking section etc. Once you familiarize yourself it'll be a very basic formality, so don't worry about it.

I have no clue about IELTS btw sorry.
Reply 30
Thanks! :smile: I appreciate.
I know it's basic, even though I've heard of native english speakers who got less than 113 just because of all these tricks (i.e. the way of taking notes, the structure required for the essay and, again, the irrational speaking test). By the way I have to take again either the TOEFL or the IELTS, cos I just received a short message from the admission department where they state that i have to meet the conditions etc. I think I'll try the IELTS once, and if it doesn't work, I'll go back to my dear TOEFL...
Reply 31
Glad to know I'm not alone! Got an offer for an msc in Oxford. I scored 109 in the toefl ibt, and they need at least 110. So now I need to sit for the exam again to get just 1 additional point!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Hey guys

I recently got a conditional offer from LSE in MSc Accounting Organizations and institutions. One of my condition states the following:

"You are required to pass the British Council's Test of English (IELTS) with 7.0 overall (and at least 6.0 in each section) or 107 overall in the internet-based TOEFL test (and at least 21 in writing, and 20 in the other three elements). Alternatively, you may submit official documentation confirming your entire degree was taught and examined in English."

Iam from Pakistan and my entire undergrad degree was taught and examined in English. To waive off my condition, i attached a certificate from my undergrad university corroborating the same and emailed it to the admissions department at LSE. After a week, i got a reply that just a scanned copy of the certificate was not enough and i was directed to post the certificate(in original) to them. Now i have done as the email stated and waiting for their reply.
Do you guys think this will waive off the condition??
Also the LSE website clearly states that if your first language is not English and your first degree was not taught and examined in English THEN you should provide evidence of your
proficiency in shape of toefl/ielts.
Reply 33
Hey guys i want to apply to dentistry and the universities require a score of 100. i got 97 do you think they'll still consider me?!?!?!
Reply 34
Original post by jo1692
To be honest, the answer to that only LSE can judge, not students on an online forum. So I would phone/email LSE. But unfortunately I think it looks pretty unlikely. Universities tend to be strict about the IELTS exam results because they can afford to be as they have plenty of international students who attain the right grade.

What about GCSE English Language requirement of a B? Say if you get a C in it, but have a good/okay personal statement and have good AS grades and meet all other entry requirements, do you get 100% rejected, or is still some hope of getting an offer:frown:?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
I have a good friend from France that got the grades for Imperial, but not for English. He wrote a nice letter asking for a chance of an interview to prove his English level. They agreed, and he is now at Imperial.
Reply 36
Hey there,

Hey, I got an 8.0 in my
IELTS test with
8.5 in listening,
8.0 in reading,
8.0 in speaking
but only a 6.5 in writing.

I am considering to apply in Nottingham university and Bristol for Economics.
Nottingham needs an IELTS of 7 overall, including 7 in Reading and Writing and no less than 6 in Listening and Speaking.
Will my application be completely disregarded or there is any English course/test which I can do in my first year of the university if at all I am selected?
At Bristol, however, the website states the requirements to be same as Nottingham's but the Economics undergraduate prospectus (2014/2015) states that the requirements are :
IELTS 7.0 with 7.0 in Listening and Reading and
6.0 in Speaking and Writing
Its quite baffling!
Please Help!
Reply 37
Original post by Yohann
Hey there,

Hey, I got an 8.0 in my
IELTS test with
8.5 in listening,
8.0 in reading,
8.0 in speaking
but only a 6.5 in writing.

I am considering to apply in Nottingham university and Bristol for Economics.
Nottingham needs an IELTS of 7 overall, including 7 in Reading and Writing and no less than 6 in Listening and Speaking.
Will my application be completely disregarded or there is any English course/test which I can do in my first year of the university if at all I am selected?
At Bristol, however, the website states the requirements to be same as Nottingham's but the Economics undergraduate prospectus (2014/2015) states that the requirements are :
IELTS 7.0 with 7.0 in Listening and Reading and
6.0 in Speaking and Writing
Its quite baffling!
Please Help!

Wow that's a good score my results come out on 23rd I'm worried I thought my writing and reading went ok but my speaking and listening went well. I need 7.5 were you confident after your test?or were you as scared as me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by aamin96
Wow that's a good score my results come out on 23rd I'm worried I thought my writing and reading went ok but my speaking and listening went well. I need 7.5 were you confident after your test?or were you as scared as me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I wasn't confident at all ! I didn't really plan to study in the UK but then the decision was quite sudden. I decided after I completed my IELTS :P
When it comes to preparation, I din't even know the format of the questions :P This probably resulted in me messing up in writing :frown:
I was not expecting an 8.0 at all ! And 8.5 in listening is still a shock to me !
However, now I have to worry with the admissions and stuff...can u help me with my previous question. It would be a great help.
P.S. I am an international student from Thailand
Reply 39
Original post by Yohann
To be honest, I wasn't confident at all ! I didn't really plan to study in the UK but then the decision was quite sudden. I decided after I completed my IELTS :P
When it comes to preparation, I din't even know the format of the questions :P This probably resulted in me messing up in writing :frown:
I was not expecting an 8.0 at all ! And 8.5 in listening is still a shock to me !
However, now I have to worry with the admissions and stuff...can u help me with my previous question. It would be a great help.
P.S. I am an international student from Thailand

Oh right hopefully I get a good score too then. Hmm that's tough you'll have to email or call the university if they'll allow you even if you missed the mark by 0.5 because they're really strict. I took toefl earlier where I needed 100 and only got 97 and they said they still wouldn't accept me because the basic requirement is given there for a reason. So I really don't know sorry.. You'll have to ask the uni if they will allow you
I'm from India btw !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending