The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aamin96
Oh right hopefully I get a good score too then. Hmm that's tough you'll have to email or call the university if they'll allow you even if you missed the mark by 0.5 because they're really strict. I took toefl earlier where I needed 100 and only got 97 and they said they still wouldn't accept me because the basic requirement is given there for a reason. So I really don't know sorry.. You'll have to ask the uni if they will allow you
I'm from India btw !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh right!! Thanks for your advice!
Btw I am technically from India too (Mumbai) but brought up in Bangkok!
Goodluck with your IELTS score and I hope you get into the university you wish to go to mate..Goodluck!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by Yohann
Ohh right!! Thanks for your advice!
Btw I am technically from India too (Mumbai) but brought up in Bangkok!
Goodluck with your IELTS score and I hope you get into the university you wish to go to mate..Goodluck!

Thanks man you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Econla
I think this ultra-strict english requirement is stupid to say the least.
I'm in the same situation but with UCL (graduate degree). I took the TOEFL and scored above the minimum for each section, but overall I scored only 4 points below the minimum required. Guys...WTF....I mean, they selected you from a competitive pool of applicants considering your grades, your honors, and all that stuff, and finally they decided that you would be a perfect student for its programme. I understand that proficiency in english is important since you'll be breathing english for all the time that your programme lasts. For this, they have to ask you some minimum level of english proficiency. However, they should also apply some level of criteria when an applicant like you and me, filtered before by themselves, don't get exactly the minimum that they ask for just a marginal difference.
I took a look to other top universities to see what level of english they ask for and I was impressed by some universities like Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton and many other that ask for english proficiency levels much lesser than top UK universities. For example, the three mentioned before set a minimum between 80 and 90 in TOEFL which translates to a 6.0 or 6.5 in IELTS, and we are talking about highly prestigious institutions.

One reason US universities are less strict is that if you go there you need to take English classes and pass a writing requirement. The broader requirements mean you have more time before hitting core courses in the degree.
This is nice to see other people sharing the same situation, I feel less lonely now even if I'm totally stressing out >.<
I'm french and the universities I apply to require the IELTS (7 overall). The exam is in february so I have time to prepare it (though I don't even know how. Any advice ?) but I'm so afraid my english isn't good enough... if I fail the exams it would mean I can't go study in the UK... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by aamin96
Thanks man you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I got my score got an overall of 8.0
Reading-8.0
Speaking-8.0
Listening-8.5
Writing-7.0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Hey,

I am in the exact same situation as you. How did you proceed to get accepted? I was thinking on calling them and asking what to do.

What's your advice?

best,
i dont understand. why don't all of you just resit the ielts exam? I thought you could take the test as many times as you wanted to, to achieve the required scores.
My IELTS requirement for Imperial Maths is 6.5 in each. However, I only got

Reading : 7.5
Listening : 7.5
Writing : 6.0
Speaking : 8.5

Is their any chance I will still be accepted?
Reply 48
Hi! May I ask did lse finally give you unconditional offer?
Reply 49
Hey guys

just got a conditional offer for the LSE. I took the toefl exam a few days ago, here's my score :

Overall : 106
R 29
S 29
W25
L 23

They ask for 107 overall... do you think it could be ok ?
Original post by a5a09
Guys, I really need help. My offer still remain as conditional though I failed my IELTS. Do I still have a chance of getting an unconditional offer from LSE?

Hi, can you tell me how your situation ended? I have a conditional admission from LSE right now, and they required TOEFL 107. I scored 106 (27R, 27L, 28W, 24S). Do you think they will accept the 106?
Original post by star999
One reason US universities are less strict is that if you go there you need to take English classes and pass a writing requirement. The broader requirements mean you have more time before hitting core courses in the degree.

Hi, can you tell me how your situation ended? I have a conditional admission from LSE right now, and they required TOEFL 107. I scored 106 (27R, 27L, 28W, 24S). Do you think they will accept the 106?
Hi, can you tell me how your situation ended? I am in a similar situation. I have a conditional admission from LSE right now, and they required TOEFL 107. I scored 106 (27R, 27L, 28W, 24S). Do you think they will accept the 106?
Original post by chickenm
Hey guys

just got a conditional offer for the LSE. I took the toefl exam a few days ago, here's my score :

Overall : 106
R 29
S 29
W25
L 23

They ask for 107 overall... do you think it could be ok ?
Original post by nick29
hey guys,

I am an international student from Romania and I am looking to apply in UK. One of my choices was initially the Economics degree at Warwick. I got 104 in my TOEFL, reaching or exceeding the minimum scores for each section. However, they ask for a 105 overall score. So what do you think? Does it worth to take my chances and apply? Or I will just waste one of my 5 available options?

Hi there, i guess this depends on how far you missed the requirement and what course you're applying for.
I applied for BSc Management, missed my IELTS writing by 0.5 mark and they still give me an offer :smile:
Original post by May-o2q
Hi there, i guess this depends on how far you missed the requirement and what course you're applying for.
I applied for BSc Management, missed my IELTS writing by 0.5 mark and they still give me an offer :smile:

Are you joining this year? Can you plz give any advice to me😭 I'm an offer holder of BSc Management this year. I got 7.5s in writing, listening and reading but scored 6.5, that is just below the minimum IELTs requirement... Additionally, I fulfiled the a level requirements.. However they just dropped off. WTF.. Plz help me, I'm soooo desperate.
Hey guys, plz give me some extraordinary advices.. I applied to BSc Management at LSE and fulfiled the minimum requirement of AAA, but failed to enter due to english requirements. I got 7.5 s in listening, reading and writing but 6.5 in speaking in IELTs wtf.. Not enough time to take another tests and have remark. What should I do.. 0.5 pt missing from even speaking is so unfortunate to be dropped off, isn't it? It's too strict.😭😭
Reply 57
Same problem here, may I know if you guys managed to get the offer at the end?
Original post by Igetlifted
Hey guys, plz give me some extraordinary advices.. I applied to BSc Management at LSE and fulfiled the minimum requirement of AAA, but failed to enter due to english requirements. I got 7.5 s in listening, reading and writing but 6.5 in speaking in IELTs wtf.. Not enough time to take another tests and have remark. What should I do.. 0.5 pt missing from even speaking is so unfortunate to be dropped off, isn't it? It's too strict.😭😭

Latest

Trending

Trending