The Student Room Group

Homesickness :(

I know this is so pathetic... and I havent even left yet! but I feel so sick at the thought of going to university and leaving my family and home behind. I'm a massive 5 hours away! and I'm just so nervous and shy and in attempt to 'put myself out there' I just come across really strange :frown:

Has anybody got any advice for shy people leaving the home nest?
Reply 1
Original post by la Mia Cara
I know this is so pathetic... and I havent even left yet! but I feel so sick at the thought of going to university and leaving my family and home behind. I'm a massive 5 hours away! and I'm just so nervous and shy and in attempt to 'put myself out there' I just come across really strange :frown:

You have to get over the inhibitions you feel when contemplating speaking to someone for the first time. This is how you make friends. Also, don't worry about feeling homesick. You will miss home for the first couple of weeks maybe, but as the weeks go by you will not want to go back home :P
Keep positive, you don't want to go to uni with a negative attitude or else you'll want to come home after the first few weeks. Keep reminding yourself why it is you're going to uni and this should help you persevere. I'm a shy person too, there's no denying it but I can't let that get in the way of me having the best damn experience of my life so I'm gonna throw myself in at the deep end during freshers and talk to everyone.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Homesickness is something everyone experiences and unfortunately you will too. However, if you put in an effort to get on really well with your flatmates and make as many friends as possible during freshers this will go away in no time. It always helped me to think that all my flatmates and friends were in the same position too.
Reply 4
Thanks for all your replies, they were really reassuring! :smile:

Original post by modini
You have to get over the inhibitions you feel when contemplating speaking to someone for the first time. This is how you make friends. Also, don't worry about feeling homesick. You will miss home for the first couple of weeks maybe, but as the weeks go by you will not want to go back home :P

I definitely need to master this! I guess I think I need to have a brilliantly witty and profound conversation or people will think I'm silly, which obviously is just me being silly....!
Reply 5
Original post by lee_vassallo
Keep positive, you don't want to go to uni with a negative attitude or else you'll want to come home after the first few weeks. Keep reminding yourself why it is you're going to uni and this should help you persevere. I'm a shy person too, there's no denying it but I can't let that get in the way of me having the best damn experience of my life so I'm gonna throw myself in at the deep end during freshers and talk to everyone.
Hope this helps :smile:

ahh!! thanks for this reply, your completely right. Sometimes I forget that I'm not the only shy person in the world and it's alright to be a little shy sometimes! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Elwyn
Homesickness is something everyone experiences and unfortunately you will too. However, if you put in an effort to get on really well with your flatmates and make as many friends as possible during freshers this will go away in no time. It always helped me to think that all my flatmates and friends were in the same position too.

This is definitely reassuring thank you!

Sorry, I'm rubbish and don't know how to reply in one post...
Reply 7
Original post by la Mia Cara

If you're so nervous that you actually feel 'sick,' and you haven't even started yet, why didn't you choose a University closer to home?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending