The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Applying to Edinburgh again. Never giving up!

Hello TSR,

I applied to Edinburgh to do MA Japanese on predicted grades ABBBB and was unfortunately rejected. However, Japanese is what I wanted to do with life since I was a 10 year old boy so I really worked hard and got AAABB. I also did a JLPT and felt that that went really well. I am applying again this year, do you think Edinburgh will appreciate my dedication and my academic improvements alongside a strong personal statement when I apply again? I am doing 3 advanced highers this year and hoping for an unconditional offer. Current students, does this seem feasible?

Yours,
Scottishshinigami
Reply 1
Are you in 6th year now, and was in 5th year when you were rejected?

Sorry not a current student, just curious.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Arianto
Are you in 6th year now, and was in 5th year when you were rejected?

Sorry not a current student, just curious.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That is me just going into 6th year, when I applied the first time I had nothing but standard grades and predicted highers so I understand why I didn't get in but I did well in my highers and I am just curious as to whether or not my chances are a lot better this year :smile:
Original post by Scottish Shinigami
Hello TSR,

I applied to Edinburgh to do MA Japanese on predicted grades ABBBB and was unfortunately rejected. However, Japanese is what I wanted to do with life since I was a 10 year old boy so I really worked hard and got AAABB. I also did a JLPT and felt that that went really well. I am applying again this year, do you think Edinburgh will appreciate my dedication and my academic improvements alongside a strong personal statement when I apply again? I am doing 3 advanced highers this year and hoping for an unconditional offer. Current students, does this seem feasible?

Yours,
Scottishshinigami

The typical offer tends to be AAAA at Higher so you don't actually meet that, although you do meet the basic entry requirements. In your case I think you'll just have to wait and see because even if you did have 4 As at Higher, its still really competitive and a lot of people get rejected. Just ensure that you have other realistic options (you will probably have to apply in England for Japanese) where you do meet the typical requirements in full and have Edinburgh as an aspirational choice.

If you were given an offer I'd probably expect it to be conditional on the basis of 1 or 2 AH grades - maybe AB at AH. I doubt you'd get an unconditional simply because you don't have the grades for it.
Reply 4
That is me just going into 6th year, when I applied the first time I had nothing but standard grades and predicted highers so I understand why I didn't get in but I did well in my highers and I am just curious as to whether or not my chances are a lot better this year :smile:

Definately yeah, I mean practically no-one applies in 5th year, let alone gets an offer. Did you have a particular reason for applying in 5th year, or was just eager? :rolleyes:

Can't comment on competitiveness on japanese in particular, but like what Oxymoronic said Edinburgh's extremely competitive overall. You should look at other options in scotland aswell (if there are any and if you'd want to stay in scotland)

AAABB is pretty solid, I know someone who got an unconditional with that at Ed, though that was for engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by Arianto
Definately yeah, I mean practically no-one applies in 5th year, let alone gets an offer. Did you have a particular reason for applying in 5th year, or was just eager? :rolleyes:

Can't comment on competitiveness on japanese in particular, but like what Oxymoronic said Edinburgh's extremely competitive overall. You should look at other options in scotland aswell (if there are any and if you'd want to stay in scotland)

AAABB is pretty solid, I know someone who got an unconditional with that at Ed, though that was for engineering.

I also got an unconditional with AAABB (Electrical & Mechanical MEng). Just make sure that your personal statement is strong, and I think you'll be in with a shout.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I missed my offer but I'm thinking of applying into second year as I'm already to old to wait another year. :/
Reply 7
Wow! I think they'll really appreciate the fact that you've taken the JLPT (: What level?

I'm a bit confused, as my conditional offer was BBB at A level :O I think that's because I was studying A level Japanese. I was quite shocked at getting such a low offer, but some people said that offers might consider things like social background (I come from a very poor family/area) :s-smilie: Hope I'm actually studying MA Japanese from sept rather than some short course :')

I'm sure you'll get an unconditional offer this year with such good grades and hopefully see you next year ^_^!
Reply 8
Hello TSR,

Yours,
Scottishshinigami

Hey there! I'm a Scottish student and I'll be going to the University of Edinburgh for Italian and Spanish this September but I'm definitely wanting to do Japanese as well! :smile: I think your grades are fantastic and that you stand a pretty good chance in at least getting a conditional offer. What subjects were your grades at? And what are your Advanced Highers? It's true that Edinburgh is especially competitive. My offer was quite low as my school's from quite a poor background and so it was BBBB over two sittings as with most of the people from my school However, I have a few friends from schools from better areas and I know of a girl who was rejected for Spanish and Linguistics yet received an unconditional for single honours Spanish with her grades being at AAAAB.

Simply put, I think you have a good chance at receiving at least a conditional offer. :smile: I really, really hope that you get in; but just in case also apply to universities like Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham or Newcastle. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
Hey there! I'm a Scottish student and I'll be going to the University of Edinburgh for Italian and Spanish this September but I'm definitely wanting to do Japanese as well! :smile: I think your grades are fantastic and that you stand a pretty good chance in at least getting a conditional offer. What subjects were your grades at? And what are your Advanced Highers? It's true that Edinburgh is especially competitive. My offer was quite low as my school's from quite a poor background and so it was BBBB over two sittings as with most of the people from my school However, I have a few friends from schools from better areas and I know of a girl who was rejected for Spanish and Linguistics yet received an unconditional for single honours Spanish with her grades being at AAAAB.

Simply put, I think you have a good chance at receiving at least a conditional offer. :smile: I really, really hope that you get in; but just in case also apply to universities like Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham or Newcastle. :smile:

Thanks, I wouldn't like to go to an English university. Edinburgh is my hometown and I have wanted to return for ages, also Edinburgh being so prestigious is why I want to go so much. My grades are as follows:
A - Maths
A - French
A - Physics
B - English
B - Biology

I also sat the JLPT N5, teach a small basic Japanese class (We just got sponsored by the Japan Society actually) and I will be doing the N4 soon :smile:

I hope I am good enough :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Keznbiccy
Wow! I think they'll really appreciate the fact that you've taken the JLPT (: What level?

I'm a bit confused, as my conditional offer was BBB at A level :O I think that's because I was studying A level Japanese. I was quite shocked at getting such a low offer, but some people said that offers might consider things like social background (I come from a very poor family/area) :s-smilie: Hope I'm actually studying MA Japanese from sept rather than some short course :')

I'm sure you'll get an unconditional offer this year with such good grades and hopefully see you next year ^_^!

I hope to see you too :biggrin: Edinburgh is the one I want really, I was born there and the city itself means a lot to me. Also, the Uni is quite prestigous :smile: My school is a free school but is quite a successful one in a rural area, I hope that doesn't count against me. :s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I hope to see you too :biggrin: I can't afford an English University but Edinburgh is the one I want really, I was born there and the city itself means a lot to me :smile: My school is a free school but is quite a successful one in a rural area, I hope that doesn't count against me. :s

You don't pay upfront you know?
Original post by Norton1
You don't pay upfront you know?

I know, but my main reasoning is that I was born in Edinburgh, I know the city well. I am not too far away from parents. Cost is a minor factor. I could manage but I want to go to Edinburgh for loads of reasons as well as the prestige it has.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending