The Student Room Group

Open Days Clashing?! What should I do?

Hi. I didn't know where to post this, and because I'm asking about Durham as well, I thought I would just post it here :s-smilie:

I've picked 6 universities I want to go visit...

Durham
East Anglia
Nottingham
Cardiff
Bath
Keele

My problem is that Durham's open day at Queen's Campus is the 14th September, and so is Cardiff.
Then on the 15th September, both Nottingham and Bath are on the same day.

East Anglia is on the 6th October, and Keele is the 19th August.

But what do I do about the four that clash (because they don't have any others, and my school wants my application in by the middle of october I think - they do things early)

How important is it to visit the campus'?
I'm from the north-west, near Manchester, but I don't want to apply there, so I'm really worried that I can't make two of the Open Days!!

My priority *probably* would be Durham and Nottingham, as apparently Queen's Campus is a bit bare, and my school reccommended me to *definately* see it before applying, because it doesn't suit everyone. I'm a little concerned that it's too quiet??

Hope someone can answer and help - thanks :smile: x
Often Universities have more than one open day, though the next ones will probably be next year. And with most, you can also ring up and organise a visit. (Or, that's what I was told last year!)
Reply 2
Email the department/colleges and ask for a visit/tour. That's what I did (although in Durham city but it should be the same). Our college is constantly having people be given tours when it's not open days. And my now favourite professor was the tour guide for my department visit :smile:
Original post by britash
Hi. I didn't know where to post this, and because I'm asking about Durham as well, I thought I would just post it here :s-smilie:

I've picked 6 universities I want to go visit...

Durham
East Anglia
Nottingham
Cardiff
Bath
Keele

My problem is that Durham's open day at Queen's Campus is the 14th September, and so is Cardiff.
Then on the 15th September, both Nottingham and Bath are on the same day.

East Anglia is on the 6th October, and Keele is the 19th August.

But what do I do about the four that clash (because they don't have any others, and my school wants my application in by the middle of october I think - they do things early)

How important is it to visit the campus'?
I'm from the north-west, near Manchester, but I don't want to apply there, so I'm really worried that I can't make two of the Open Days!!

My priority *probably* would be Durham and Nottingham, as apparently Queen's Campus is a bit bare, and my school reccommended me to *definately* see it before applying, because it doesn't suit everyone. I'm a little concerned that it's too quiet??

Hope someone can answer and help - thanks :smile: x

I think I'll move this into the Applications and UCAS forum, should get some broader opinion from there. :smile:

For Durham v Cardiff, I recommend checking out whichever one you're least familiar with - if you're more used to cities, make sure Durham isn't too quiet for you, because it really can be quite a different atmosphere (I went to Durham from Birmingham). Similarly if you're from a smaller place, make sure Cardiff doesn't seem overwhelming, since it's pretty busy.

Then Notts v Bath, not sure what to recommend, since they're both campus universities in cities, so relatively similar.
im from Durham and its a lovely little city but very small (you can walk the full main city in half an hour lol) but were only a 10 min train ride from Newcastle if you want somewhere bigger and crazier to go out, the one thing that might sell Durham most (it does to tourists) is for a tiny city we have an amazing history and beautiful buildings (only rivaled by Edinburgh in my opinion)
there also places for different nights out here you have:

the angle - mainly for rockers, bikers and punks (great if you like that little scary if not lol)
the elm - across from the angle quite quiet you mainly get old men and a few students in there
spoons/waterhouse - great for food and conversation, no music but big football screens, friendly staff and warm fires on cold days
varsity - a very studenty club up by the cathedral
head of steam - small but has live bands
chase - a typical loud night club
love shack - this is in the new secton of town and sells cocktails also surrounded by lots of restaurants
the gala - theater and cinema, some times has great shows from comedians to Chinese acrobatics to circuses
the fish tank - ive never been in myself but ive head its quite small and has live bands

these are just a few there are many more pubs, clubs and venues in durham

hope that helps
You can just phone up and organise a campus tour. Universities have teams of student ambassadors, so you will be able to see around, and ask questions about student life there. It could be difficult if you want to see halls unless you organise them soonish before freshers move in.
Original post by rattusratus
im from Durham and its a lovely little city but very small (you can walk the full main city in half an hour lol) but were only a 10 min train ride from Newcastle if you want somewhere bigger and crazier to go out, the one thing that might sell Durham most (it does to tourists) is for a tiny city we have an amazing history and beautiful buildings (only rivaled by Edinburgh in my opinion)
there also places for different nights out here you have:

the angle - mainly for rockers, bikers and punks (great if you like that little scary if not lol)
the elm - across from the angle quite quiet you mainly get old men and a few students in there
spoons/waterhouse - great for food and conversation, no music but big football screens, friendly staff and warm fires on cold days
varsity - a very studenty club up by the cathedral
head of steam - small but has live bands
chase - a typical loud night club
love shack - this is in the new secton of town and sells cocktails also surrounded by lots of restaurants
the gala - theater and cinema, some times has great shows from comedians to Chinese acrobatics to circuses
the fish tank - ive never been in myself but ive head its quite small and has live bands

these are just a few there are many more pubs, clubs and venues in durham

hope that helps

Note that they'll be living in Stockton, not in Durham City! Also thanks for reminding me that I should mention the Gala on my FAQ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending