The Student Room Group

University of Peninsula

Hi,
As you all would probably know that from 2013 the University of Peninsula is split up into University of Exeter and University of Plymouth. So does that mean we can apply to both of them or just one?

Scroll to see replies

You can apply to both but they'll have the same admissions criteria so there's no point.

Also it was peninsula college as it was a joint venture between uni's so it wasn't a uni itself.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
You can apply to both but they'll have the same admissions criteria so there's no point.

:dunce: If you don't meet the criteria there's no point applying to either, and if you do meet the criteria why on earth wouldn't you apply to both?
Reply 3
University of Peninsula :lol: ...
Original post by Ronove
:dunce: If you don't meet the criteria there's no point applying to either, and if you do meet the criteria why on earth wouldn't you apply to both?

you only need one offer, going for 2 just because you can is selfish, not to mention the only difference there will be in the programs is the location, in which case you can probably figure out a preference before applying.
Reply 5
you only need one offer, going for 2 just because you can is selfish, not to mention the only difference there will be in the programs is the location, in which case you can probably figure out a preference before applying.

How is it selfish :confused:? You should be able to apply where ever you feel you would have the best chance at getting an offer and it's not like you're stopping anyone from doing the same.
Reply 6
Original post by myyrh
How is it selfish :confused:? You should be able to apply where ever you feel you would have the best chance at getting an offer and it's not like you're stopping anyone from doing the same.

Well yea, but applying to both Plymouth and Exeter would be like applying to the same course twice.
Reply 7
Original post by _sparks
Hi,
As you all would probably know that from 2013 the University of Peninsula is split up into University of Exeter and University of Plymouth. So does that mean we can apply to both of them or just one?

Firstly, it is/was Peninsula College of Medicine and Density or Peninsula Medical School.

Secondly, you can apply to both of them but that would count towards two of your four choices of medical schools on UCAS. Applying to both would be counter-intuitive considering they both have the same course, but differ on location and rotation locations in Yr3-5.

So making your descions between the two should be based on those two factors. (and the Social life of the two universities)

Thirdly, I currently go to Peninsula. I am about to start my clinical rotation in what will be one of Exeter Medical Schools localities. So feel free to ask me anything about the course (preferably about Year 1-3 as I know most about those years so far.), or anything else.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by myyrh

Exactly, you should apply to be getting an offer, one, not two, and yes you could be stopping someone from doing the same if you put one as your firm and another as insurance, or possibly someone could not be interviewed because your name pushed them down the list.
Reply 9
Original post by carcinoma
Well yea, but applying to both Plymouth and Exeter would be like applying to the same course twice.

I understand that but It's not exactly an alien concept. People apply to Durham and Newcastle and Liverpool and Lancaster. As far as I know in both cases they're the same courses.
Original post by myyrh
I understand that but It's not exactly an alien concept. People apply to Durham and Newcastle and Liverpool and Lancaster. As far as I know in both cases they're the same courses.

I thought you could only apply to either one of Newcastle or Durham (or have an open application sort of thing), not too sure about Liverpool and Lancaster though :erm:

Anyway, OP, if you really like the course and you meet/exceed the entrace requirements, then you might as well apply to both to double your chances of getting onto a course you like...
I really want to go to either Exeter or Plymouth but I'm not sure if I stand a good chance atm, so am not sure if its worth 'wasting' a space. My other options are HYMS, Liverpool and then Lancaster and Barts are backup options if I don't go for any of my first 4 options due to not meeting criteria.
Original post by AishaTara
I really want to go to either Exeter or Plymouth but I'm not sure if I stand a good chance atm, so am not sure if its worth 'wasting' a space. My other options are HYMS, Liverpool and then Lancaster and Barts are backup options if I don't go for any of my first 4 options due to not meeting criteria.

Are you currently an AS student? If so, do you know yet what your A2 predictions will be?
Reply 13
Exactly, you should apply to be getting an offer, one, not two, and yes you could be stopping someone from doing the same if you put one as your firm and another as insurance, or possibly someone could not be interviewed because your name pushed them down the list.

Oh my mistake, I forgot you had to put other applicants best interests in front of your own. Whilst your intentions seem to be extremely noble, I assure you other applicants will be doing their utmost to make sure that they're the ones who get made the offers. Also you're not garunteed to get two offers, there is every chance that you could mess up one of the interviews (if you even get both). Personally I believe that if you're lucky enough to get more than one offer you should be able to make what ever choice you want because after all you earned them.
Original post by thegodofgod
Are you currently an AS student? If so, do you know yet what your A2 predictions will be?

I am an AS student, A in Maths and Bio
Chemistry haven't decided yet- they decide upon your AS grade not what you're capable of :l and my 4th option is an A but im dropping it.
Reply 15
Very good of you I think that is impressive keep it up

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Chemistry haven't decided yet- they decide upon your AS grade not what you're capable of :l and my 4th option is an A but im dropping it.

Barts give out interviews based on your UCAS tariff score, so if you get an AAAa prediction/real, that is 420 UCAS points, which, I think, was under the boundary for the 2011-2012 UCAS cycle.

Ask Barts applicants for the cut-off score to be sure though :redface:
Reply 17
I thought you could only apply to either one of Newcastle or Durham (or have an open application sort of thing), not too sure about Liverpool and Lancaster though :erm:

Anyway, OP, if you really like the course and you meet/exceed the entrace requirements, then you might as well apply to both to double your chances of getting onto a course you like...

I'm pretty sure about Lancaster and Liverpool as I applied to both :tongue:
As for Newcastle and Durham, this is what is written on their admissions page.

You are permitted a maximum of four choices on the UCAS application form for medicine. The closing date for applications is 15 October.

For the five-year MB BS course (A100) you may apply for Stage 1 entry to either/both Newcastle University or Durham University, Queen’s Campus, Stockton.

Please note that each will be considered as a separate choice

Barts give out interviews based on your UCAS tariff score, so if you get an AAAa prediction/real, that is 420 UCAS points, which, I think, was under the boundary for the 2011-2012 UCAS cycle.

Ask Barts applicants for the cut-off score to be sure though :redface:

The cutoff was 500 ucas points, or A*AAA
Original post by myyrh
I'm pretty sure about Lancaster and Liverpool as I applied to both :tongue:
As for Newcastle and Durham, this is what is written on their admissions page.

You are permitted a maximum of four choices on the UCAS application form for medicine. The closing date for applications is 15 October.

For the five-year MB BS course (A100) you may apply for Stage 1 entry to either/both Newcastle University or Durham University, Queen’s Campus, Stockton.

Please note that each will be considered as a separate choice

Heya :smile: youre really good with responses so was wondering if you know the answer to my question - Do you know which medical schools only look at predictions rather than AS? Any ideas about Pensinula, Manchester, Liverpool or Lancaster as the websites dont say :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending