The Student Room Group

Help with CPR issue

Hi, I previously attended university of teesside on an engineering degree. the course would of ran 4 years. I started in 2005. I completed the first and second year, although I should of done a couple of resits on the second year but didnt as I had to stop my course and return to full time work.
I am now in a position to return to university and on applying to student finance I have been told they will only pay the last three years of the degree I wish to do in engineering so this coming first year 12/13 I wont get Fees or special support grant (sick for over 28 weeks)
I would like some advice on what evidence I will need to provide so as to ensure my claim for CPR is dealt with effectivley without delay.
My reasons for dropping out where down to stress and blood pressure issues brought about by financial difficulties, as well as my partner having heart problems. Although I didnt attend my doctors regarding the blood pressure at the time I am sure I will be able to get a letter from my doctor confirming I have a history of excessivley high blood prressure throughout the period I was at uni and afterwards (until it nearly killed me in Feb this year), also that the diagnosis given by my doctors for the blood pressure was stress brought about by financial problems. I can also get a letter from my landlord confirming I fell behind quite severely with the rent at the time I left university. I had to leave effectivley to pursue full time employment to ensure myself, my partner our daughter were not made homeless. Also throughout 2007 my partnet had been suffering chest pains which we had attributed to mild panic attacks due to the financial stresses, her doctor had simply advised lose weight and exercise. She consequently suffered a major heart failure requiring emergency bypass surgery in February 2008. She wasnt unfit etc, she had a congenital heart fault causing a kink in an artery. I can prove this by ways of her discharge letters from hospital in February 2008. I cannot prove the pains throughout the previous year as her doctor didnt record it as her having any heart problems.
I am now ready to go back to university as in Feb this year my doctors were proved wrong with their diagnosis of blood pressure issues being caused by stress. I too had a congenital heart fault, this caused my blood pressure to get so high one of my main arteries literally burst inside me. Once in hospital the heart fault was soon diagnosed and I now have a permenent metal valve inside my heart and take a lot of medication, hence my 28 weeks special support grant.
Anyway after that very long explanation I would like to know if that would be considered as just cause for CPR and what evidence would be required?
Thanks
Richie
Reply 1
You might have issues convincing them that you were too ill to study but were not too ill to work. That doesn't really make any sense, unfortunately. And if you mention financial difficulties they will ask why you didn't use the access to learning fund or just work part time.

Submit as much evidence as you can and hope they accept it.
Reply 2
I did use access to learning fund and did have part time job, as said though I also have a partner who was very ill at the time and a daughter to support. I have evidence of her being ill throughout and the surgery required soon after, I have proof of the access to learning fund. It wasnt a case of being too ill to study, it was a case of how ill I would become if I continued to study which I have proof of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending