The Student Room Group

General Olympics Thread MKII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
lol bbc news, tom daley's bronze getting a mention over kayaking guy's gold
Reply 81
Original post by Benniboi1
Well thats the Second Super Saturday! Was just chuffed that Daley got a medal :biggrin: is there still 2 boxing finals left tonight with brits in?

Yeah. Should be at least one gold. I'm expecting Joshua to beat the Italian who is a little past his prime but still a very tough test. Hopefully 2 so we can get up to 30!
Didn't think there were any interesting events tomorrow, but the men's basketball final is on :woo:
Can't believe it's pretty much over :frown:

Original post by Hackett
Great contendor, but has to be Wiggo surely?

Ohmygod what happened to your sig :frown:
Original post by stefl14
You stop trying to act that Bolt can't even be questioned. Just because he was a great junior it doesn't mean he would have DEFINITELY achieved the times he has without drugs. All I have said is that it is a possibility whereas you are acting as if there is no way. So many hugely successful athletes in the past have later been found out to be cheats (drug tests mean nothing until they are retested about 10 years later).

Re-read what I wrote, because I explained it all there. I never said Bolt can't be questioned. I clearly said it is merely logical to assume that he is clean based on his prodical youth career. It's actually impossible to prove a negative here, that an athlete is 100% clean, so pointing out that he could be doping based solely on the fact that it's impossible to prove a negative is stupid and pointless because we know Bolt could be doping. He could be a homosexual, he could be a transvestite, he could be a terrorist sympathiser, he could be a serial killer etc. but there is actually no evidence at all to suggest he is any of those. He has never failed a test and he didn't come out of nowhere, coupled with his prodical youth and junior career make it a logical step to assume he is clean.
Now is there anything else you want to waste my time on?
Reply 85
Original post by Hackett

I don't see why you were negged for this, what both of them have done is pretty unprecedented. I don't think you can really separate them, give it to them both! If Andy Murray wins the US open then give it to all 3!
Original post by KingMessi
Hi again guys.

Just looking over the post count - do I get a medal or something for first place? :tongue: :king1:

where did you find that?
Original post by stefl14
Again this would be silly. All top athletes train hard from young age. I am nowhere near top level but training 25 hours/week was normal for me in boxing from 15. And even an 11 year old boxer at the gym trained similarly hard.

On the one hand, proponents such as Jeanne Dopbrak, a sports medicine physician at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, contend that "[a child athlete's] immature skeleton just isn't ready to handle the day-to-day stresses that will occur."[9] and that the stresses imposed on only partly developed muscular/skeletal system by gymnastics are almost certain to cause damage that would persist into adulthood. Proponents also point to a 16-year American study of gymnastics injuries which concluded that gymnastics is the most dangerous sport for girls, with injury rates comparable to those found in boys who play soccer, basketball and hockey.[10][11] An athlete whose bones are still growing is more likely than an adult to suffer skeletal injury, because the bones are more porous and the joints not yet fully formed.[12] Lesions that are precursors to stress fractures occur in 11 percent of young female gymnasts, compared to 2.3 percent of girls and women in general.[12] The International Gymnastics Federation says that intense physical activity, such as that engaged in by gymnasts training at the elite level, affects the functioning of growth hormones, possibly causing delayed bone growth and the onset of puberty although the body is able to recover and catch up later if given rest periods.[11]
In addition, proponents contend that practicing elite sports is mentally and emotionally demanding. Young gymnasts at these levels are often pressured to perform by coaches and parents,[11][13] and ex-gymnasts have spoken out about behavioural and psychological problems common to the sport

thats from wikipedia why theres a limit. It backs up what my dad said about reproduction being problems and such in the future and stuff.
Original post by Hackett

I think that Wiggins will win but I personally want Farah to. Ah well.
Reply 89
Original post by Jack93o
lol bbc news, tom daley's bronze getting a mention over kayaking guy's gold

Typical.
Hi again guys.

Just looking over the post count - do I get a medal or something for first place? :tongue: :king1:

How do you check the post count? :dontknow:
Reply 91
Hi again guys.

You need to be given something, because you clearly don't have a life :wink:
Reply 92
I think that Wiggins will win but I personally want Farah to. Ah well.

I think and want Wiggins to win - he deserves it. If Murray wins the USO then Ennis won't be on the podium! I hope this happens as Ennis is no more deserving than any other gold medallist.
Reply 93
I love that Bolt did the Mobot. Great guy!! Both of them

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 94
I was wondering why there weren't more pages when I refreshed, then I scrolled down and saw the link to the new thread :tongue:

Can't wait for the disappointed "fans" to come out after Tom's bronze :rolleyes:

What a day! 3 gold medals, Mo "The Nearly Guy" doing it again, Jamaica performing the sweep, and of course Tom holding his nerve :biggrin:

Commiserations to the men's USA 100 metres relay team, they were absolutely miles ahead of everyone at the end.

Except Jamaica :biggrin:
Original post by gingerrama
Didn't think there were any interesting events tomorrow, but the men's basketball final is on :woo:

I can't wait for this - who are the USA playing? :cookie:

Original post by JordanS94
where did you find that?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2067084
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Can somone tell me where/when toms medal ceremony will be? :smile:

It has now already been, but if you missed it then check the bbc website :smile:
Damn, brilliant finale to the final full day of events. It's been a brilliant two weeks for Britain. Was very happy to see Daley get his medal. Before the olympics I voted '0' on the "how interested are you in the olympics?" poll, but even I was on the edge of my seat to see Farah get his second gold and Daley win a medal :biggrin:
ooo he does deserve the gold medal then :lol:
Reply 99
Original post by secretmessages
One of the fastest, but there have been faster :p: A level results thread I think.

Ah okay makes sense. I've never been in that one.

This was my fastest one though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest