The Student Room Group

Does a gaming blog count as Journalism experience?

sdff
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't do Journalism but one of my best friend's has studied 2 years of Journalism at College and he was openly told and encouraged by his lecturers to have a blog. So he created a Sport's Blog whilst doing his course.

Going by that, i would say yes and put it on your personal statement.

EDIT:

Out of Interest, what website do you use to host your blog? And do you get a lot of traffic? Because i am a Games Development student and i have always toyed with starting a blog.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheKonspiracy
Hello,

I want to apply to a Journalism Degree in 2013 and want to know if having a gaming news blog is credible enough to put on a personal statement and whether it counts as experience?

Im kinda panicking as its difficult to get work experience for me currently and a gaming blog is the only experience I have aswell as College work. I wasnt sure if its feasible as a hobby in relevance to Journalism, but it is an adamant interest of mine as I would like to get into video game journalism.

Appreciated

If its a good blog with a different perspective on things, it should help you. And what site are you going to use to host it? I'm thinking of starting a blog so I was just wondering.
Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheKonspiracy
Thank guys, Currently im using WordPress. Its simple and free but has a lack of customisation.

I doubt ill get a lot of traffic though. Also will having a blog make up for my lack of work experience?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Not sure! But i'm almost certain they will have a look at the blog if you put it down.
Yes. It shows that you have a working knowledge of how to target articles towards specific audiences. I'd also use Twitter to increase traffic and post on related gaming forums too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending