The Student Room Group

Google's Home Page Image causes race controversy - Black man running on watermelon

http://www.webpronews.com/google-accused-of-subtle-racism-over-black-guy-running-on-a-watermelon-doodle-2012-08

But it was the first Doodle, the hurdling one, that sparked a bit of controversy on the interwebs. The game (which you can see above) drew claims of subtle racism from people on social media who said that the black athlete was running on a surface that too closely resembled a watermelon.

Whether or not you believe that this was an intentional joke, a coincidence that was blown out of proportion, or an example of an eager public waiting to jump on anything (no matter how far-fetched), there’s no denying that Google could have been a lot more racist with their Doodle.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm offended at the blue sky. Are our grey British skies not good enough for his highness lord google?
Reply 2
I will only believe this was deliberately racially offensive if a wider shot shows that he's running towards a piece of fried chicken.

For ****s ****ing sake, have these people ever LOOKED at a ****ing running track!?
Reply 3
Original post by democracyforum
http://www.webpronews.com/googles-racist-doodle-gets-the-conan-treatment-2012-08

But it was the first Doodle, the hurdling one, that sparked a bit of controversy on the interwebs. The game (which you can see above) drew claims of subtle racism from people on social media who said that the black athlete was running on a surface that too closely resembled a watermelon.

Whether or not you believe that this was an intentional joke, a coincidence that was blown out of proportion, or an example of an eager public waiting to jump on anything (no matter how far-fetched), there’s no denying that Google could have been a lot more racist with their Doodle.

That's ridiculous. It only looks like it if somehow had told me what it looked like. Otherwise, it's perfectly acceptable, given that grass is green and the track is made of reddish polyurethane. There's nothing racist about that. The fact that Google used a black athlete instead of a white one completely diffuses that claim, as it shows the importance of black people in international sport.
Reply 4
Er its on Conan...its a joke.
Reply 5
Original post by Vazzyb
Er its on Conan...its a joke.

I truly wish that were the case, but it's not : http://www.webpronews.com/google-accused-of-subtle-racism-over-black-guy-running-on-a-watermelon-doodle-2012-08

Now the fried chicken relay. That was Conan.
Reply 6
They're looking for racism...

if you look at this see the black guy and YOU see a watermelon without it being pointed out I have to tell you, you're subconsciously racist.
They could just be trolling everyone :P
Reply 8
Bet it was a white person that complained.
Reply 9
People see racism in everything. I'm scared to eat watermelon or go to KFC incase people think i'm mocking black people when I eat these foods. I don't want to be locked up for hate crimes, man. I have a life. I have a family.
Reply 10
It was very racist, buying into that age old stereotype of black people running on watermelons. Obviously.
Reply 11
People make a big deal out of nothing. gosh.
Thats only a track!
On another note, I passed some time playing that. fun :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Wait - why is it racist if a black guy is running on a watermelon? What's up with the watermelon?
Reply 13
This is extremely stupid so much so that my superior intellect could not handle it
Reply 14
Am I the only person that doesn't get the racist watermelon context? I wasn't aware that black people steriotypically eat watermelons :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by S'Class
Wait - why is it racist if a black guy is running on a watermelon? What's up with the watermelon?

Original post by NR09
Am I the only person that doesn't get the racist watermelon context? I wasn't aware that black people steriotypically eat watermelons :s-smilie:

It's an associated stereotype with black people (like fried chicken).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Xotol
It's an associated stereotype with black people (like fried chicken).

Well I agree with the person above who said that if you immediately see a black person running on top of a watermelon you are at least subconciouslybracist yourself.

It is a picture of a black athlete (of which there are many) running on a running track (which are red) surrounded by grass (which is green).
I don't see how this is racist. Is it offensive towards watermelons or something because it doesn't make a difference whether the athlete is black or white.
Reply 18
Original post by NR09
Well I agree with the person above who said that if you immediately see a black person running on top of a watermelon you are at least subconciouslybracist yourself.

It is a picture of a black athlete (of which there are many) running on a running track (which are red) surrounded by grass (which is green).

Well yeah, I agree. You just seemed to be unaware of the stereotype between black people and watermelons so I was just telling you that it exists. :P

Original post by Captain Hindsight
I don't see how this is racist. Is it offensive towards watermelons or something because it doesn't make a difference whether the athlete is black or white.

Read the first answer here, there is a stereotype associated with black people eating a lot of watermelon. That's why there is controversy over the black athlete running on a track 'resembling' a watermelon.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't see the problem. Chinese people are associated with rice all the time as that's a large part of their culture. Italians associated with pasta and so on and so forth.

What's so wrong/bad about a black man being associated with watermelon? Watermelon is bloody lovely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending