The Student Room Group

I have missed all the open days what can I do?

Unfortunately in my indecisiveness I was too late to sign up to any of the open days.
I was also unaware that an open day at any respectable university would of been beneficial for me to decide on a degree.
Now being too late I am suffering the consequences. Without the guidance of an open day I have not got focus on a certain degree and this is preventing me writing my personal statement!

Is there anyway I could get similar guidance? Or still go to an open day before September?

I really need to speed things up now, and with August quickly slipping away I cannot help feel that I've messed up.

Is there anything I could be doing to decide?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could be looking at the course descriptions on the websites of unis you like to see what sort of courses interest you. Make a list of your interests/possible career options and see what fits the course. Some unis will let you book an individual campus tour at the uni, and some will have further open days throughout the year.
There are still open days to go, most places have some in September and October. If you can't book those you can arrange a private visit to nearly all universities. Just e-mail them and ask.
Unis have lots of open days usually, but if you don't have time to wait until the next ones (I'm assuming you at least know which unis you are interested in), then call/email them and see if you can arrange to look around or something similar.

There were no open days before I needed to make a decision for me (although I knew which course I wanted), so I emailed the head of faculty to ask them if they could give me any advice. He invited me to come along to the auditions/tour/interviews that were happening for the year in front of me, to get a feel fo the place and the course, and it really helped.
You never know what they could do, so just contact the unis and ask.
Original post by Shelly_x
You could be looking at the course descriptions on the websites of unis you like to see what sort of courses interest you. Make a list of your interests/possible career options and see what fits the course. Some unis will let you book an individual campus tour at the uni, and some will have further open days throughout the year.

Well I have looked at prospectuses, course descriptions and emailed some possible universities about various courses and they have not made up my mind and the people who replied were not specific enough. So I thought if I could talk face to face with someone it might trigger some higher insight of what course to choose.

I really do not know what degree to do, they all sound interesting, how do people even choose???
Original post by SpiggyTopes
There are still open days to go, most places have some in September and October. If you can't book those you can arrange a private visit to nearly all universities. Just e-mail them and ask.

What will a private visit entail? What can you do on them?
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Unis have lots of open days usually, but if you don't have time to wait until the next ones (I'm assuming you at least know which unis you are interested in), then call/email them and see if you can arrange to look around or something similar.

There were no open days before I needed to make a decision for me (although I knew which course I wanted), so I emailed the head of faculty to ask them if they could give me any advice. He invited me to come along to the auditions/tour/interviews that were happening for the year in front of me, to get a feel fo the place and the course, and it really helped.
You never know what they could do, so just contact the unis and ask.

How did you find the course for you?
What did you do at these visits? Was it helpful?
Reply 7
There's still open days to go, Birmingham has one in september for example. In fact, I think most run them between september and december.
Original post by LittleMissNoface
How did you find the course for you?
What did you do at these visits? Was it helpful?

I already knew which course I wanted to do (subject wise), and visiting just made me sure which uni was right for me.
The thing I was invited to was actually the auditions for people who were applying to start the year before me. We turned up, and the head of faculty spoke to everyone about the course, how it works, what to expect, etc. Then we went to a hall and everyone did their audition (I actually did one, even though I hadn't applied yet. It was a taster, a practise I guess). Then he showed us around the uni, gave us a tour, and took us to the main building for our course where we got to try things out while he called everyone in one by one for an interview in his office.

It really helped, a lot. I fell in love with the uni on that visit, and knew that's where I wanted to go. I did make it to open days at other unis I was interested in, but I just didn't like them nearly as much.
I am graduating now, just so you know.
What will a private visit entail? What can you do on them?

Somebody from the university will just show you around wherever you want to go.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I already knew which course I wanted to do (subject wise), and visiting just made me sure which uni was right for me.
The thing I was invited to was actually the auditions for people who were applying to start the year before me. We turned up, and the head of faculty spoke to everyone about the course, how it works, what to expect, etc. Then we went to a hall and everyone did their audition (I actually did one, even though I hadn't applied yet. It was a taster, a practise I guess). Then he showed us around the uni, gave us a tour, and took us to the main building for our course where we got to try things out while he called everyone in one by one for an interview in his office.

It really helped, a lot. I fell in love with the uni on that visit, and knew that's where I wanted to go. I did make it to open days at other unis I was interested in, but I just didn't like them nearly as much.
I am graduating now, just so you know.

But prior to this how did you know what course you wanted to do?
This is really useful, I did not know that you could ask of such things from universities.
This is really useful, I did not know that you could ask of such things from universities.

A lot of people just know. Maybe if you're not sure you should wait a year and give yourself sometime to think about it rather than rushing a decision.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
A lot of people just know. Maybe if you're not sure you should wait a year and give yourself sometime to think about it rather than rushing a decision.

I thought about waiting a year, but don't you still have to apply this year and ask for deferred entry?
Well I have looked at prospectuses, course descriptions and emailed some possible universities about various courses and they have not made up my mind and the people who replied were not specific enough. So I thought if I could talk face to face with someone it might trigger some higher insight of what course to choose.

I really do not know what degree to do, they all sound interesting, how do people even choose???

Have you looked at the subjects you'll be doing in your third year, for your dissertation? This is important as your dissertation gets you a lot of marks. Do you have a gut feeling about a certain course? What do you like to study most? Also, choose something realistic to your interests i.e. don't just pick something that you think you could be interested in.

A tip for picking uni: look at the location of the uni too. The course should heavily influence your choice, but you might want to be in the city centre or on a campus. For example, I liked Warwick's Psychology course but didn't like how it was just a bubble (it's out of town) so I put Newcastle down as it's a great city. Also, don't focus too much on the Times university tables, because a uni could be low down in general, but could be really great for your course. I went to Sunderland which is fairly low down on the table, but it great for Psychology, and was voted best in country for teaching excellence.

I take it you're applying for 2013 entry? Because if so, you have loads of time! Start writing a general statement, and you can go to open days in October/November
(edited 11 years ago)

It's always worth asking, usually they're quite happy to help out because they want people to apply there obviously.

I knew because it was something that I've worked towards for years and had been interested in for a long time. I never really had to ask myself "I wonder what course I would like to study" because I just knew. I know it's not the same for a lot of other people.
I thought about waiting a year, but don't you still have to apply this year and ask for deferred entry?

Some people do that but you can apply next autumn. There would be possibly be less support from your school but they should still offer you advice on personal statements and they have to still give you a reference. The benefit of this is you'll have you A Level results so unless you need to do any retakes you'll get unconditional offers.
Reply 16
Surely you have some idea which subject you would like to do. Open days will help you to decide which uni. but not which degree, hence it's always advisable to choose the same subject for the 5 choices of uni.

It's not too late to attend open days, many uni. holds them in Sept.and Oct.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by RowingGoose
Have you looked at the subjects you'll be doing in your third year, for your dissertation? This is important as your dissertation gets you a lot of marks. Do you have a gut feeling about a certain course? What do you like to study most? Also, choose something realistic to your interests i.e. don't just pick something that you think you could be interested in.

A tip for picking uni: look at the location of the uni too. The course should heavily influence your choice, but you might want to be in the city centre or on a campus. For example, I liked Warwick's Psychology course but didn't like how it was just a bubble (it's out of town) so I put Newcastle down as it's a great city. Also, don't focus too much on the Times university tables, because a uni could be low down in general, but could be really great for your course. I went to Sunderland which is fairly low down on the table, but it great for Psychology, and was voted best in country for teaching excellence.

I take it you're applying for 2013 entry? Because if so, you have loads of time! Start writing a general statement, and you can go to open days in October/November

I have multiple gut feelings with many courses, and not just one in particular.
I keep wondering if I have searched all possibilities and if there is a perfect course out there for me.
I am currently study: Maths, Art, Physics and Product Design.
and I love them all!
I wish I did not have to sacrifice them for only one choice.
Original post by poony
Surely you have some idea which subject you would like to do. Open days will help you to decide which uni. but not which degree, hence it's always advisable to choose the same subject for the 5 choices of uni.

It's not too late to attend open days, many uni. holds them in Sept.and Oct.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well we need to have our personal statements completed by the end of the summer holidays and this is before September (just when all the open days start) so waiting for these would be too risky.

And I do not have an idea what subject to do :frown: it's highly frustrating and I do not know how to choose.
I have multiple gut feelings with many courses, and not just one in particular.
I keep wondering if I have searched all possibilities and if there is a perfect course out there for me.
I am currently study: Maths, Art, Physics and Product Design.
and I love them all!
I wish I did not have to sacrifice them for only one choice.

Hmm...you kinda study polar opposites - Maths and Physics, Art and Product Design.

What about a design engineering course? Or advertising? Animation?

I guess if you love them equally, you'd have to look at other aspects such as which you'd have better job prospects in (maths trumps art in our current economy I'm afraid), which you can imagine a future in, which subject you want to learn more about and which subject you are best in? For example, you might like maths but only get Ds, in which case you might not be able to deal with university maths. Try and imagine what it might be like to study these subjects. Maths would mean lots of problem solving, using the mind and mostly sitting at desks, whereas an arts degree would be lots of on your feet, active work, and lots of extra hours to get things finished.

I did Psychology, French, Art and Maths at Alevel (a broad range right!), but decided to keep the french and art as a hobby (plus I dreaded French oral tests) and focus on Psychology which I wanted to learn more about and focus on. Psych also involves some statistics so the maths came in that way.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending