The Student Room Group
Include these sections:

Prediction (predict what will happen and say why. Include anything you learnt in AS to support the prediction. Use info from at least 2 different sources)

Preliminary experiment (if you did one- say what you did and what it helped you decide.

Equipment (and say why you will use certain pieces of apparatus)

Method (what you did and how many times you rpeated it)

Fair test (give details of why you have do do certain things to make it fair- how could it affect your results if you didn't?)

Control (if you did a control then explain why)

Safety (use hazcards)

Oh, and don't forget to look at the mark scheme. Make sure you don't miss anything.
Reply 2
thanks for rep. thing is i don't understand the main concept of the question so i can't do it. plz help me if you can.
:confused: :confused:
Reply 3
^^i'm in the same boat, our deadline is after easter hols but i want to get a draft done so i know where am going
Reply 4
anyone plzzzzzzzzzzz help me out i got to give rough draft on this friday.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
Reply 5
anyone plzzzzzzzzzzz help me out i got to give rough draft on this friday.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
What is the coursework question? I can't help you more unless I know what the question is...
Reply 7
plants are able to withstand fluctuations in environmental conditions, such as temperature, wind , speed, light intensity, humidity and availability of water.

plants show adaptations to these environmental conditions

You are required to plan an investigation to compare
the effect of a named factor on the rates of
transpiration of two different named species

your plan mus be based on assumption you will be
given:

* leafy shoots from two species
* laborotory resources

your plan must include:

* apparatus and materials to be used
* detaile method including procedures to ensure
results obtained are as precise and reliable
* a risk assesment and safety precauctions
* indicate briefly how you will present and
analyse your data to draw your conclusions
tshah
plants are able to withstand fluctuations in environmental conditions, such as temperature, wind , speed, light intensity, humidity and availability of water.

plants show adaptations to these environmental conditions

You are required to plan an investigation to compare
the effect of a named factor on the rates of
transpiration of two different named species

your plan mus be based on assumption you will be
given:

* leafy shoots from two species
* laborotory resources

your plan must include:

* apparatus and materials to be used
* detaile method including procedures to ensure
results obtained are as precise and reliable
* a risk assesment and safety precauctions
* indicate briefly how you will present and
analyse your data to draw your conclusions

You use a potometer to measure rate of transpiration (by measuring the distance a bubble goes in a certain amount of time (look for a diagram via google). In the experiment you would be asked to change one of the factors mentioned (assuming you do the experiment) so you have to decide a way to change any of the factors that affect transpiration (e.g. 'temperature, wind , speed, light intensity, humidity and availability of water'). And you need to say that you will do this for 2 different species of plant and repeat the experiment a certain number of times (and why). In the prediction, write about how transpiration works, why certain factors affect it and anything else relevant that you learnt in Biology. And do the other things I mentioned in the earlier post.
Reply 9
heya
in the same boat, except we have to have at least decided on the pleminary work by thursday!

however, i cant for the life of me figure out a relatively simple method for any of the factors!

ive narrowed it down to temperature, light intensity and humidity.

just need to decide on which one!

any help would be appreciated!

will contribute to thread, and hopefully turn it into a Q&A thingy?!
When wind speed increases then transpiration rate increases for a normal plant species. What happens when wind speed increases for a Xerophyte plant? This species is designed to restrict the amount of transpiration as it s present in climates with low water content. So does this mean wind speed increases transpiration rate but at a slower speed than the normal plant would???? If not what would happen????

Also, it says use two different plant species. If u are using a normal plant as one what would you say-i.e. just say a normal plant or give it any specific name

Thanx!
Reply 11
Hi is that the full question posted up because i;ve been ill and not had a chance to go to college this week but i'd like to start it this weekend
Reply 12
heya
yeh, that is the full question.

so, if we were to use say one desert plant, like a cactus, and one 'normal' garden plant, by altering light intensity, in theory, the 'normal' plant would retain or lose water?(i think it would lose, am i wrong?)

going to read around it today, make notes and post back!
Reply 13
i think the normal plant will lose more water then say the desert plant
Can somebody help me out on this qns:

When wind speed increases then transpiration rate increases for a normal plant species. What happens when wind speed increases for a Xerophyte plant? This species is designed to restrict the amount of transpiration as it s present in climates with low water content. So does this mean wind speed increases transpiration rate but at a slower speed than the normal plant would???? If not what would happen????

Also, it says use two different plant species. If u are using a normal plant as one what would you say-i.e. just say a normal plant or give it any specific name???
Reply 15
could u use a Xerophyte and a hydrophyte plant ?
Reply 16
Anyone going to do a background section all about transpiration? :confused: I don't know how detailed it should be:confused: :confused:
Reply 17
^^i did i jus explained what it was and blended my prediction with it and said why and how so and so will happen, you prediction has to be pretty detailed as its the main part
A Shining Light
You use a potometer to measure rate of transpiration (by measuring the distance a bubble goes in a certain amount of time (look for a diagram via google). In the experiment you would be asked to change one of the factors mentioned (assuming you do the experiment) so you have to decide a way to change any of the factors that affect transpiration (e.g. 'temperature, wind , speed, light intensity, humidity and availability of water'). And you need to say that you will do this for 2 different species of plant and repeat the experiment a certain number of times (and why). In the prediction, write about how transpiration works, why certain factors affect it and anything else relevant that you learnt in Biology. And do the other things I mentioned in the earlier post.

i looked up potometer in this teacher practical book,and actually it measures uptake...but if you use a Photosynthometer, that measures transpiration itself.
greensurf
Anyone going to do a background section all about transpiration? :confused: I don't know how detailed it should be:confused: :confused:

not mush just a couple of lines. just say what it is, how it helps the plants etc etc....

might as well as us to do the whole thing for you hehe just joking.

Latest

Trending

Trending