Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

USA entry/exit stamps on a UK passport

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just a little thing I was wondering really. Next year I'll be going to the USA to visit some friends and relatives. I'll fly into the country and will then take a number of internal flights to visit various places and will probably go over the border by land into Mexico for a couple of days when I visit my friend in Texas.

The thing I was wondering was; will I only get entry/exit stamps for the flights I take into and out of the country (and over land to Mexico) or will I get stamps for each place I fly into and out of on internal flights?

Can anyone who has a British passport and has visited the US and taken internal flights let me know?

I've only been to America once before on a typical family Disney holiday where we flew into and out of the same airport and didn't take any internal flights.

Many thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    assuming that your a British citizen, you don't need a visa but you're going to have to apply for an ESTA before going to America. an ESTA should cost you around $14 dollars and can be done online; however there are scammers out there, so be careful. To be on the safe side, try to find a link on an American embassy website.

Firstly, i would recommend that you do your research before crossing the texas/mexican border dude to gang warfare, as it is particularly Hostile around that area (gangs fighting to claim smuggling routes into America). depending on where you want to visit in Mexico, i recommend that you visit a well trusted friend and keep your wits about you. If your going to be out late at night looking to buy weed or get involved in drugs during your visit, then you should not be surprised if it ends up in violence.

i recently visited a friend in Nuevo Leon, Monterrey and it was awesome.

regards dude.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Just a little thing I was wondering really. Next year I'll be going to the USA to visit some friends and relatives. I'll fly into the country and will then take a number of internal flights to visit various places and will probably go over the border by land into Mexico for a couple of days when I visit my friend in Texas.

The thing I was wondering was; will I only get entry/exit stamps for the flights I take into and out of the country (and over land to Mexico) or will I get stamps for each place I fly into and out of on internal flights?

Can anyone who has a British passport and has visited the US and taken internal flights let me know?

I've only been to America once before on a typical family Disney holiday where we flew into and out of the same airport and didn't take any internal flights.

Many thanks
    You'll only get stamped when you cross an international border as far as I remember

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaintingJupiter)
    assuming that your a British citizen, you don't need a visa but you're going to have to apply for an ESTA before going to America. an ESTA should cost you around $14 dollars and can be done online; however there are scammers out there, so be careful. To be on the safe side, try to find a link on an American embassy website.

Firstly, i would recommend that you do your research before crossing the texas/mexican border dude to gang warfare, as it is particularly Hostile around that area (gangs fighting to claim smuggling routes into America). depending on where you want to visit in Mexico, i recommend that you visit a well trusted friend and keep your wits about you. If your going to be out late at night looking to buy weed or get involved in drugs during your visit, then you should not be surprised if it ends up in violence.

i recently visited a friend in Nuevo Leon, Monterrey and it was awesome.

regards dude.
    Thanks for this, I already have my ESTA sorted. I just really wanted to know if I'd end up with lots of stamps in my passport from all of the internal flights.

I'll be crossing into Mexico with a friend of mine who is American but was born in Mexico and he has family there so he'll know where is safe/where to avoid etc.

We aren't the types who are interested in drugs etc so we'll be staying well clear of that kind of stuff.

Thanks for your advice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbyheat)
    You'll only get stamped when you cross an international border as far as I remember

Thank you. Where did you fly between?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Thank you. Where did you fly between?
    Various places - Charlotte, NYC, Houston, Chicago, Boston

• 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no immigration (ie no passport control on landing) for domestic flights, and therefore no stamps. You'll just get asked for ID on check in and boarding. Much like no immigration for UK domestic flights.

The US also only do entry stamps; your passport will not be stamped on exit (unlike Australia for example).

So you'll likely get two: one on arrival from the UK, and one when coming back over from Mexico. It's also important that you tell American immigration officials that you're coming back to the States after you go over to Mexico for a bit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    There's no immigration (ie no passport control on landing) for domestic flights, and therefore no stamps. You'll just get asked for ID on check in and boarding. Much like no immigration for UK domestic flights.

The US also only do entry stamps; your passport will not be stamped on exit (unlike Australia for example).

So you'll likely get two: one on arrival from the UK, and one when coming back over from Mexico. It's also important that you tell American immigration officials that you're coming back to the States after you go over to Mexico for a bit.
    Great, thanks for this. I dug out my old passport from when I last went to the states and as you have rightly said, it appears I only have an entry stamp in it for when I went to Florida and no exit stamp.

One of the Lonely Planet books I was reading said something about telling immigration that I'd be returning from Mexico, so thanks for backing that up. That's particularly useful considering I'll be with an American when I cross over and he's unlikely to know the ins and outs of having a UK passport at the US-Mexico land border. Especially as he was telling me he often crosses without his passport and only some other form of ID like his driving licence.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 12, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.