The Student Room Group

how hard is computer science

I am goiing to be studying computer science this september but i haven't done maths a level before. What i was to know is what did all of you think of the course as well as how hard did you think it was as well as how much hours a week did you roughly put in.
thanks
Reply 1
Original post by simms11
I am goiing to be studying computer science this september but i haven't done maths a level before. What i was to know is what did all of you think of the course as well as how hard did you think it was as well as how much hours a week did you roughly put in.
thanks

Well I'm doing something similar to computer science, but not all of it.

In programming such as the coursework at my uni, there is some maths, but nothing hard, just basic, but long multiplications, etc But it does get a bit harder, like vectors, etc not the maths part, but trying to use them and stuff :s-smilie:

However the thing I don't do is their maths modules which are statistical, logic and discrete, matrices and probability , which isn't like maths equations out, as it says it logic, etc Venn diagrams, box proofs,truth tables, etc

It shouldn't be too bad, depending on your uni, it could be different, but also there should be support classes if you think your maths isn't up to standard, and should extra classes for your maths modules
Original post by Iqbal007
Well I'm doing something similar to computer science, but not all of it.

In programming such as the coursework at my uni, there is some maths, but nothing hard, just basic, but long multiplications, etc But it does get a bit harder, like vectors, etc not the maths part, but trying to use them and stuff :s-smilie:

However the thing I don't do is their maths modules which are statistical, logic and discrete, matrices and probability , which isn't like maths equations out, as it says it logic, etc Venn diagrams, box proofs,truth tables, etc

I'm currently going into my final year of computer science, there's not really a lot of maths, but it is mainly logical.
I had a lot of maths while doing networks such as binary (mainly), decimal and hexadecimal.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Really depends on the Uni.
Reply 4
Generally speaking, the more traditional the university the more maths will be involved. What maths is involved is mostly a branch called discrete mathematics; you'd do good to get a book on it, but your university will probably recommend you one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending