The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Uni Accommodation Process..Deposit ?!

Hi Guys,
last Saturday I submitted my application for a room in the halls of University (postgraduate). In particular, I also asked if I had to do something, since I have not received an answer to my "MSc offer acceptation".
Today, they have said to me that I have to pay a deposit...What deposit ? For the course o for the accommodation ? I would specify that I'm Italian, so not an international student.:smile:
Original post by SevenNationArmy
Hi Guys,
last Saturday I submitted my application for a room in the halls of University (postgraduate). In particular, I also asked if I had to do something, since I have not received an answer to my "MSc offer acceptation".
Today, they have said to me that I have to pay a deposit...What deposit ? For the course o for the accommodation ? I would specify that I'm Italian, so not an international student.:smile:

All students pay a deposit, I believe it then gets taken off the first rent installment.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hannmatt92
All students pay a deposit, I believe it then gets taken off the first rent installment.

Yeah, everyone in Halls pays a deposit. It gets taken off the overall cost for the year.

The instalments are paid at 3 points in the year with the 1st being the most and the 3rd being the least.

If something were to happen and you couldn't take the place at the Uni then I assume they will refund the deposit - but don't quote me on that.

Hope this helps :smile:
I thought I have to pay a deposit only AFTER that they give you a room, not before.
However, thanks a lot ! :smile:
Reply 4
It's quite mad how they expect you to magically be able to get hold of £300 before you get hold of your loan - not everyone has that sort of money just lying around. Thankfully I was able to borrow it until I get my loan, but surely there's some people who won't even get that lucky?
Reply 5
Original post by SevenNationArmy
I thought I have to pay a deposit only AFTER that they give you a room, not before.
However, thanks a lot ! :smile:

Yeah sorry, you get an email containing a link to Tenancy Agreement and Room number etc and you are given 10 days to pay the deposit.

Completely forgot to mention that bit :colondollar:

I should add, I was in Peris and the deposit was £300. It may be different for other halls.
Reply 6
I've just found the email I got about accepting the Tenancy Agreement, hopefully this will be a better worded version of what I am saying (and I apologise for saying 10 days earlier):

"This email contains important information about your allocated room in Halls and requires action on your part. If you do not take this action within 7 days of the date of this email you may lose your allocated room.

We are pleased to offer you accommodation for the 2011-12 academic session. Please click here to view and accept your Residence Agreement. You must also read the Residence Conditions and other relevant information.

If you wish to accept your room allocation, please follow the instructions once you have logged-in. You will also need to pay a deposit of £300, so please make sure you have your credit/debit card with you. If you are an international student who has already paid a £300 application fee, you will not need to make any further payment, but you still need to tell us that you’re accepting the room you have been offered. Please also let us know if you don’t want the room you’ve been allocated after all.

You must accept or decline the room within 7 days of receiving this email. If you accept the offer of a room you must pay the deposit of £300 as requested."

Quick Reply

Latest