The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2013 entry)

So I'm hoping to apply this year for psychology for 2013 entry and was wondering who else was and where they're hoping to go? :biggrin: this might be a bit early but I'm excited haha :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was hoping that someone would start this thread soon :biggrin: I'm applying to Sussex for psychology with neuroscience/cognitive science and to psychology, clinical and cognitive neuroscience at Royal Holloway. I'm going to visit the open days at Sussex and Royal Holloway (or I hope that I can make it to both, since it's the same day). I'm quite unsure about which other unis I should apply to. Also I need to find out what kind of grades these universities would expect from a Finnish student.
Original post by BIJ0U
I was hoping that someone would start this thread soon :biggrin: I'm applying to Sussex for psychology with neuroscience/cognitive science and to psychology, clinical and cognitive neuroscience at Royal Holloway. I'm going to visit the open days at Sussex and Royal Holloway (or I hope that I can make it to both, since it's the same day). I'm quite unsure about which other unis I should apply to. Also I need to find out what kind of grades these universities would expect from a Finnish student.

royal holloway is soooooo nice :smile:

im looking at either royal holloway or reading.

royal holloway - psychology (AAB)
Reading - psychology and philosophy (AAB)
Bucks uni - psychology (BCC/CCC)
Plymouth - psychology (ABB)
Hull - psychology with philosophy (BBC)
Keele - psychology and philosophy (BBB)

i really am looking at keele and hull, they are my favourites (the lecturer at hull was soooo yorkshian that it was amazing, his attitude was awesome :smile: ). keele is also really really nice and the head dude was soo funny during the welcome talk. he seemed so approachable :smile:

however, i am also looking at royal holloway... i really really want to go there. but also i only want one "AAB" option on my ucas application, so its either do psychology at roho or do psychology and philosophy at reading...
its a hard choice :/

who else is worried about results day?

EDIT: oh and yes, i too was looking at this forum quite alot waiting for someone to do a 2013 application thread!
Reply 3
Couldn't you organise a day to visit and be shown around one of the unis another day if you can only make one open day? I'm in Scotland so it might be different but I know you can do it up here :smile: I'd be surprised if you couldn't :smile: I'm looking to apply to Glasgow, dundee, Edinburgh (although I'll most likely not be accepted lol) and I'm not sure where else haha, can't decide :P
Yeah, I was surprised the thread wasn't started earlier tbh! I've been looking for it for ages haha :P

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Reply 4
Also what are you all wanting to do when you finish uni? Postgraduate stuff?

Original post by BeingCatherine
Also what are you all wanting to do when you finish uni? Postgraduate stuff?

Dont know about postgrad yet, as im not sure exactly how im going to enter the field.

Basically id like to work with children with disorders such as OCD etc... And help them overcome it. Im interested also in how development can affect mental disorders, and if a child can just 'grow out' of ocd...

My pipe dream is to help a deprived child, such as the case study of Genie. Id love to work n help someone like that, helping them through psychological trauma and helping them develop again :smile:

See some say thats clinical psychology, but it also could be developmental... Hmmmm.

What about you? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9001
Reply 6
Couldn't you organise a day to visit and be shown around one of the unis another day if you can only make one open day? I'm in Scotland so it might be different but I know you can do it up here :smile: I'd be surprised if you couldn't :smile: I'm looking to apply to Glasgow, dundee, Edinburgh (although I'll most likely not be accepted lol) and I'm not sure where else haha, can't decide :P
Yeah, I was surprised the thread wasn't started earlier tbh! I've been looking for it for ages haha :P

Yeah, but from what I understand you can only take a campus tour or something if you don't go on an open day, but you can see a lot more and talk to people during an open day. Besides I'm in England just for a few days, so I hope I can do two quick open day visits. It should take about 2 hours to get from Royal Holloway to Sussex or vice versa. It depends on when the open day starts and ends at Royal Holloway.

I don't really know yet what to do after graduating.
Original post by BIJ0U
Yeah, but from what I understand you can only take a campus tour or something if you don't go on an open day, but you can see a lot more and talk to people during an open day. Besides I'm in England just for a few days, so I hope I can do two quick open day visits. It should take about 2 hours to get from Royal Holloway to Sussex or vice versa. It depends on when the open day starts and ends at Royal Holloway.

Royal holloway do tours every wednesday. Call up the department you are interested in and ask if you can talk to one of the lecturers - they were happy to help :smile:

Reply 8
Hey !

Im going to be starting the combined honours psychology and criminology in September at UCLAN at the Burnley campus :smile: Anyone doing similar or going to the same Uni give us a shout :smile: My last experience at uni last year was so far from a student life i was on a course with just 5 other people all men and in their 40s !! ( not much mutual interests when your a 21 year old female ) So they kind of all mingled together. SOOO excited about starting this course this year and looking forward to meeting hopefully plenty of new people .

Best of luck to everyone hope you all enjoy your courses :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by megfashion
Dont know about postgrad yet, as im not sure exactly how im going to enter the field.

Basically id like to work with children with disorders such as OCD etc... And help them overcome it. Im interested also in how development can affect mental disorders, and if a child can just 'grow out' of ocd...

My pipe dream is to help a deprived child, such as the case study of Genie. Id love to work n help someone like that, helping them through psychological trauma and helping them develop again :smile:

See some say thats clinical psychology, but it also could be developmental... Hmmmm.

What about you? :smile:

Wow that's pretty much the same as me! I think for that you need postgradute stuff, I might try to get a master's in whatever field that would be :smile:
Original post by Samara2908
Hey !

Im going to be starting the combined honours psychology and criminology in September at UCLAN at the Burnley campus :smile: Anyone doing similar or going to the same Uni give us a shout :smile: My last experience at uni last year was so far from a student life i was on a course with just 5 other people all men and in their 40s !! ( not much mutual interests when your a 21 year old female ) So they kind of all mingled together. SOOO excited about starting this course this year and looking forward to meeting hopefully plenty of new people .

Best of luck to everyone hope you all enjoy your courses :smile:

Wow lol yeah that isn't the usual student life I don't think! :tongue: I used to want to do criminology stuff, I have so many books on it lol :colondollar:
Original post by BIJ0U

Ah okay, fair enough :smile:
Wow that's pretty much the same as me! I think for that you need postgradute stuff, I might try to get a master's in whatever field that would be :smile:

yes, as BPS rightly says, the undergraduate degree is but a stepping stone... it sucks because then thats another 3 or 4 years in education after the degree! i just want to help people already and do research about the brain etc...!

i dont like it how people think we psychologists are all going to go to clinical psychology... there are other fields too :P if someone asks about the degree they always say "oh so thats to be a clinical psychologist then?" its like... no... :P
yes, as BPS rightly says, the undergraduate degree is but a stepping stone... it sucks because then thats another 3 or 4 years in education after the degree! i just want to help people already and do research about the brain etc...!

i dont like it how people think we psychologists are all going to go to clinical psychology... there are other fields too :P if someone asks about the degree they always say "oh so thats to be a clinical psychologist then?" its like... no... :P

Haha I know! I used to say to people that I wanted to do forensic psychology" and they were like "...what's that...?" Lol it's like well the clue is in the name :P there are so many graduates who don't go into the field, I hope I get a psychology related job lol! But never in advertising!

Haha I know! I used to say to people that I wanted to do forensic psychology" and they were like "...what's that...?" Lol it's like well the clue is in the name :P there are so many graduates who don't go into the field, I hope I get a psychology related job lol! But never in advertising!

Yes same. Even if its just doing experiments.
God... If we decided teaching, thats psychology, postgrad n a pgce... Thats like 10 years!!!!

Hi! New here!

I've been hoping for this thread too! I'll definitely be applying for Psychology next year! My heart is firmly set on Royal Holloway, at the moment anyway :smile: I really like the idea of going into the forensic side postgrad - I find the law/criminal side of it fascinating! It's so hard to get jobs in that field though :frown: But I'm sure as hell going to try!
If you want to teach up to college level, you just need a degree and a PGCE or equivalent. Uni teaching will generally be done alongside a PhD and then after
Yes same. Even if its just doing experiments.
God... If we decided teaching, thats psychology, postgrad n a pgce... Thats like 10 years!!!!

I know! Aw it's gonna be tricky but it's gonna be worth it :biggrin:

Original post by TheRedHeadedOne
Hi! New here!

I've been hoping for this thread too! I'll definitely be applying for Psychology next year! My heart is firmly set on Royal Holloway, at the moment anyway :smile: I really like the idea of going into the forensic side postgrad - I find the law/criminal side of it fascinating! It's so hard to get jobs in that field though :frown: But I'm sure as hell going to try!

Aah I like forensic psychology :biggrin: it is apparently really tricky... something like 30 students training to be forensic psychologists or something in the UK :redface: but that could have changed :smile: aaand it shows that although not many people do it, it is possible :smile:

Also have any of you got much work experience? I can't seem to get anything other than what I already have :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest