The Student Room Group

Grads with Children starting 5 year Medicine Course

Are there any grads starting 5 year medicine degrees in 2012, with children? Have you managed to secure any funding / loans for childcare?

I have 2 young children and have been turned down for the Childcare Grant from SFE, because my partner is supposedly earning too much. We really struggle to make ends meet now as it is. We certainly can't afford to pay for full time childcare when I start my course next month.

I have contacted the HMRC and don't get help from them, either, as my partner and I both have to work 16 hrs / wk to qualify.

I'm exempt from everything except the maintenance loan, which will have to be used for my travel costs and tuition fees. I have even been turned down for the Parents Learning Allowance, although I have appealed.

I need to find a way to raise the money for childcare. Any help would be gratefully received.
Reply 1
Friends? Family?
Have you checked to see whether the university provides any childcare facilities?
Original post by gonnabadoc
Are there any grads starting 5 year medicine degrees in 2012, with children? Have you managed to secure any funding / loans for childcare?

I have 2 young children and have been turned down for the Childcare Grant from SFE, because my partner is supposedly earning too much. We really struggle to make ends meet now as it is. We certainly can't afford to pay for full time childcare when I start my course next month.

I have contacted the HMRC and don't get help from them, either, as my partner and I both have to work 16 hrs / wk to qualify.

I'm exempt from everything except the maintenance loan, which will have to be used for my travel costs and tuition fees. I have even been turned down for the Parents Learning Allowance, although I have appealed.

I need to find a way to raise the money for childcare. Any help would be gratefully received.

started last year and have a 3 y.o. He attends the uni nursery which is considerably cheaper than normal private ones. I didn't get tax credits either or any childcare grants but I applied for the hardship funds at uni and got half of the annual nursery fees paid. my partner has since changed his job and earns a lot less per year so can apply for a subsidy through the uni's court office. Also, as he turned 3 in jan, he gets 12.5 hours paid by the council during term-time only.
Reply 4
Thanks guys.

Well, we don’t have any friends or family who can help unfortunately. We also can’t make use of uni childcare as my uni’s 1.5 hours from home. It wouldn’t work for us to move nearer to uni as my partner’s job and eldest’s school are near home. We need local childcare.

I just can’t believe there’s so little help for graduate med students with kids on the 5 year course. My Year 1 costs alone are around £24k. So scary!

But, Sweetchilli, that’s very encouraging to hear about the hardship fund thanks for that info. I hope my uni's able to be as generous. And you’re right, I guess things will improve when my youngest turns 3. How are you finding juggling med school as a parent?
Thanks guys.

Well, we don’t have any friends or family who can help unfortunately. We also can’t make use of uni childcare as my uni’s 1.5 hours from home. It wouldn’t work for us to move nearer to uni as my partner’s job and eldest’s school are near home. We need local childcare.

I just can’t believe there’s so little help for graduate med students with kids on the 5 year course. My Year 1 costs alone are around £24k. So scary!

But, Sweetchilli, that’s very encouraging to hear about the hardship fund thanks for that info. I hope my uni's able to be as generous. And you’re right, I guess things will improve when my youngest turns 3. How are you finding juggling med school as a parent?

I think your best shot is to call the medical school. If you genuinely are finding that you can't afford things, perhaps they could arrange (for the first year at least) some sort of manageable payment plan?

Can I ask why you applied to a 5-year course? I know 4-year is more competitive but the cost difference is huge!
Thanks guys.

Forms are available at the start of term so as soon as you can get one and get it filled out and attach copies of all relevant info they require.

It can be tough as illness etc can put spanners in the works but overall, I think I have coped pretty well. It does require good scheduling/planning and work ethic so that you can spend at least some time with the family during the week and weekends. As a parent though, you are I'm sure used to juggling already so it is just another ball...

I'm sure you will get it sorted and manage eventually. if you need any more help, pm me.
Reply 7
Hi Matt,
I did call my uni finance bods & they said I should seriously re-consider whether or not to go there if I can't afford it - lol! But I am hoping they'll be more encouraging when I actually start. I did apply to both the 4 and 5 yr, but didn't make it onto the 4. To be honest though I'm on my dream course at my dream uni - I really wanted the 5 as my kids will see little enough of me as it is without losing me in the hols as well. Plus the shortened hols of 4 yr would've massively pushed up my childcare costs on the 4 year anyway. It did come as a shock that I would get so little funding though.

Sweetchilli, it's great to hear stories of other parents who are managing to juggle everything. Thanks, prob will ending up pm-ing you at some point.
Reply 8
Thanks guys.

If I were your next door neighbour, I'd sure help you look after them. But no playing whilst I'm reading my research papers lol :colondollar:
Reply 9
Lol - they'd be wanting to play with your research papers! That'd be much more fun than playing with their own toys!
Hi Matt,
I did call my uni finance bods & they said I should seriously re-consider whether or not to go there if I can't afford it - lol! But I am hoping they'll be more encouraging when I actually start. I did apply to both the 4 and 5 yr, but didn't make it onto the 4. To be honest though I'm on my dream course at my dream uni - I really wanted the 5 as my kids will see little enough of me as it is without losing me in the hols as well. Plus the shortened hols of 4 yr would've massively pushed up my childcare costs on the 4 year anyway. It did come as a shock that I would get so little funding though.

Sweetchilli, it's great to hear stories of other parents who are managing to juggle everything. Thanks, prob will ending up pm-ing you at some point.

I'll be really honest, the worst thing you could possibly do is undertake the course if you really doubt you can afford it. If you drop out then there's very little chance of readmission later on, and if you don't drop by force there's a chance the stress could impact your academic ability.

If you can't acquire the funding, I'd suggest pulling out and reapplying for GEM but I know it's not an easy call, I do! All the best, I hope you find the funding somewhere!

Have you tried trusts for bursaries? I get a £2000 grant at undergraduate from the Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust. It's very specific to the offspring of parents doing sales, or pharmacists. If that applies to you then you could apply :smile: I believe you can apply for up to £3000 per annum but you have to justify it to them -- which you could because you have children.
Reply 11
Yes, I'm hunting about for trusts & bursaries. I haven't had any luck yet, but I'm remaining hopeful :-)
Yes, I'm hunting about for trusts & bursaries. I haven't had any luck yet, but I'm remaining hopeful :-)

I'll assume you've already looked here, but this is the best website ever for medical students in financial ****. http://www.money4medstudents.org
This may be particularly useful: http://www.money4medstudents.org/list-of-charitable-trusts
Reply 13
Thanks, you're a diamond x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending