The Student Room Group

AS Geology - what is it like?

Anybody who's done Geology at AS, please share your thoughts on what the subject is like.
Is it that much of a step-up from GCSE (if you took it at that level)?
How many field-trips do you get?
Is it a difficult subject and is the information difficult to learn?
Lastly, is it enjoyable? :colondollar:

Share your experiences! :smile:

I hope to take this at AS and possibly A2.
I didn't take it for GCSE (WJEC) but I had a look at some past papers while revising, and it doesn't look like much of a step up at all!
I really enjoyed the AS year, partly because I liked the style of learning - lots of diagrams and stuff to colour in :biggrin: - and also because its new and interesting, and also quite easy.
I have to say, it depends on who your teacher is as to how interesting it is-we had two, one boring lecturey man and another dynamic man who made it really fun!
Some of the topics got boring towards the end of the year, where we studied hazards and civil engineering stuff, but its not a long topic!
The information is easy to learn, especially if you already have geology/geog GCSE or are doing geog AS as a lot of it crosses over.
Field trips depend on your college - we had one museum trip then two field trips to the local countryside after the exams to go fossil hunting! In second year, we have a compulsory residential fieldtrip for coursework, plus an optional geog+geol trip to Iceland (sooooo excited!)
Basically - go for it if you enjoyed the GCSE:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending