The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accommodation for med students (details about raleigh park and university park)

hey guys, since my application still hasn't been processed, i hope it isnt wrong to assume that i can still change my preferences by contacting them.

so my question was - for med students (those going back and forth from the queens medical center building), which accommodation area do you suggest is best/closest to QMC/where the most med students are?

my top 2 preferences were univsersity park campus and raleigh park (which were the one of the few left when i applied) - do you guys possibly know which of them wud be better to join as a med student?

considering the meals - are the meal times in catered halls strict (i am anticipatin workin over hours.. so does that mean no food for me when i get to the cafeteria late)? also how much do you usually give out in the uk for food in the self-catered halls?

With food comes fitness - so I know that both campuses have gyms, but do they include weights, machines for someone who wants to train regularly? Also, how are the sport teams/facilities on each of those 2 campuses?

furthermore on recreation - wat are the options for musically active students? which campus offers practice rooms / musical groups?

and last but not least, when i would go to uni park, i would have to move out every holiday.. does anybody have experience with that? is it very bothersome - as in do you have to move everything out? reflection, anybody?

phew, that was a long starter... any help would be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by avade
hey guys, since my application still hasn't been processed, i hope it isnt wrong to assume that i can still change my preferences by contacting them.

so my question was - for med students (those going back and forth from the queens medical center building), which accommodation area do you suggest is best/closest to QMC/where the most med students are?

my top 2 preferences were univsersity park campus and raleigh park (which were the one of the few left when i applied) - do you guys possibly know which of them wud be better to join as a med student?

considering the meals - are the meal times in catered halls strict (i am anticipatin workin over hours.. so does that mean no food for me when i get to the cafeteria late)? also how much do you usually give out in the uk for food in the self-catered halls?

With food comes fitness - so I know that both campuses have gyms, but do they include weights, machines for someone who wants to train regularly? Also, how are the sport teams/facilities on each of those 2 campuses?

furthermore on recreation - wat are the options for musically active students? which campus offers practice rooms / musical groups?

and last but not least, when i would go to uni park, i would have to move out every holiday.. does anybody have experience with that? is it very bothersome - as in do you have to move everything out? reflection, anybody?

phew, that was a long starter... any help would be appreciated :biggrin:

I probably wouldn't judge it on number of medics; it's quite difficult to get statistics for those, but it's also good to mix with people from other courses etc; you'll see coursemates every day!

I would go for University Park accommodation though, for the simplicity of having meals provided at convenient times, leaves more time to get involved in the Students' Union, and the community atmosphere I experienced in first year :smile:

Meal times are relatively strict, but mainly that they don't start early, not so much they don't carry on later; we used to hang around in the dining room for a good hour after other had left, nibbling on bread and soup or whatever!

How much food in catered? To an extent, as much as you can eat. You get a fixed portion of say meat/main, but you can take as much carbs/veg/fruit/soup/bread/butter/drinks/yoghurts/whatever as you want. I took advantage of it when I was in halls :biggrin:

How much do we "give out" for self-catered? I'm not sure what you mean, can you rephrase? :smile:

QMC is right next to University Park, and that currently has a huge Students' Union and facilities presence. The gyms are well-equipped (if you want to know specific I would contact the sports department - details on their website), and in terms of sports, we have all these clubs in the Students' Union: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/getinvolved/sports/atoz/. With the exception of Edinburgh, we had more gold medal-winning Olympic athletes in London 2012 than any other Uni/SU! :biggrin:

In terms of music, we have a number of musical societies and the recital hall and practice rooms are very close to the QMC and the Students' Union. I've no idea how good they are, as I'm not a musical student!!

You do have to move everything out at the end of terms, but I never found it a problem really; it's amazing how much you can fit into a car and how easily you can pack things! That said, I do appreciate not having to do it now that I live in a shared house on a 52-week contract.. It's your call really; I didn't see it as an issue at all.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending