The Student Room Group

Which of the 2 looks more like Hogwarts?

Any particular colleges from either? Does the city of Oxford make it more modern and less classic?
Reply 1
Given they filmed parts in Christ Church, probably there.

Just to make it clear, as good as Oxbridge are, you will not be able to learn expelliarmus there.
Reply 2
Yup the Christ Church Hall is pretty much the great hall from Hogwarts
Reply 3
Well...

infirmary1.jpg
Divinity School - Oxford

Infirmerie.jpg
Hospital Wing - Hogwarts

5386981331_8d79278e8a.jpg
Duke Humphrey's Library - Oxford

tumblr_m43axd6iI81rs1k1xo1_1280.jpg
Restricted Section, Library - Hogwarts

newcollege2.jpg
New College Cloisters - Oxford

tumblr_lh56lqNUWt1qckjzao1_500.jpg
Gardens - Hogwarts

christchurch-great_hall.jpg
Christ Church Hall - Oxford

HarryPotter6-Hall.jpg
Great Hall - Hogwarts
Reply 4
Original post by roh
...Just to make it clear, as good as Oxbridge are, you will not be able to learn expelliarmus there.

On the plus side, Quidditch is increasingly popular at Oxford as a competitive college sport :yes:
Original post by Mellete
Well...

infirmary1.jpg
Divinity School - Oxford

Infirmerie.jpg
Hospital Wing - Hogwarts

5386981331_8d79278e8a.jpg
Duke Humphrey's Library - Oxford

tumblr_m43axd6iI81rs1k1xo1_1280.jpg
Restricted Section, Library - Hogwarts

newcollege2.jpg
New College Cloisters - Oxford

tumblr_lh56lqNUWt1qckjzao1_500.jpg
Gardens - Hogwarts

christchurch-great_hall.jpg
Christ Church Hall - Oxford

HarryPotter6-Hall.jpg
Great Hall - Hogwarts

The Divinity School is not the same building as the Hospital Wing.
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
The Divinity School is not the same building as the Hospital Wing.

Hmm...it looks suspiciously similar. The Bod also claims it is...are you sure? :confused:
Original post by Mellete
Hmm...it looks suspiciously similar. The Bod also claims it is...are you sure? :confused:

I don't doubt they did film the Hospital Wing there in at least one of the films; but

1 Look at the ceilings. One is fan vaulted, the other is rib vaulted.

2 Look at the window tracery. The tracery in the Divinity School consists of two principal and between them, three subsidiary mullions creating six light windows. At Hogwarts, there is a central mullion creating two light windows.

3 Look at the heads of the windows. The Perpendicular windows in the Divinity School have a flat ogee point. The windows at Hogwarts are much more pointed in an Early English style.

Hogwarts looks 200 years older than the Divinity School (assuming it isn't Victorian repro)
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius
I don't doubt they did film the Hospital Wing there in at least one of the films; but

1 Look at the ceilings. One is fan vaulted, the other is rib vaulted.

2 Look at the window tracery. The tracery in the Divinity School consists of two principal and between them, three subsidiary mullions creating six light windows. At Hogwarts, there is a central mullion creating two light windows.

3 Look at the heads of the windows. The Perpendicular windows in the Divinity School have a flat ogee point. The windows at Hogwarts are much more pointed in an Early English style.

Hogwarts looks 200 years older than the Divinity School (assuming it isn't Victorian repro)

Maybe the set was made based on the Divinity School, as the Great Hall was based off of Christ Church's hall, but not actually shot there?
Original post by shoshin
On the plus side, Quidditch is increasingly popular at Oxford as a competitive college sport :yes:

I just repped you and it gave you +2. Maybe your comment was just that remarkable! :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
I just repped you and it gave you +2. Maybe your comment was just that remarkable! :rolleyes:

Looks like my Geminio worked a treat! :cool:

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Yes It really a dream for me to go to oxford since i was a child because of hogwarts and harry potter but it's very hard :/
Original post by Mellete
Maybe the set was made based on the Divinity School, as the Great Hall was based off of Christ Church's hall, but not actually shot there?

That sounds very plausible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending