The Student Room Group

Parents are angry at me about my university choice.

I got 5 offers for adult nursing (King's, Brighton, City of London, Herts and Middlesex), and I firmed Brighton and put City of London as my insurance. I really wanted to firm King's, but I wasn't confident I'd make the offer. King's and Brighton gave me the same offer for BBB. I phoned both admissions departments as I think I'm realistically going to go BBC or maybe BBD. King's said they wouldn't let me in if I got under the offer as they'd find someone else. Brighton said they'd probably still let me in if I got BBC or maybe BBD.

I did a diploma in Financial Studies (alternative to GS and CT and is looked on more favourably) which I'll definitely get a B or A in, so with my 3 real A-Levels Brighton said they'd probably let me in with BBC/D (English Lit, geography and biology) and a B or A in Finance, but King's said they wouldn't, so I firmed Brighton instead. I put City of London as my insurance for CCD because I wanted a reliable insurance.

My parents are angry that I didn't firm King's because it has a much better reputation, and they always watch TV shows like 24 Hours in A&E which is about KCL's hospital and keep telling me I should be there. They're very disappointed I didn't firm King's because it has higher employment prospects and better hospital links. They obviously want the best for me, and keep saying Brighton isn't good enough for me and the fact that I got an interview and offer from King's means I'm good enough to go there. When I try to explain King's wouldn't let me in if I don't meet the offer they don't listen and keep saying they must have liked me to give me an offer so if I get a grade under it won't matter, when I know it really will matter.

How can I convince my parents that Brighton is a good university for me to go to? Their nursing department has good hospital links and good employment prospects, but King's meant everything to my parents. My parents told me to phone up King's on results day to see if they'll still take me, which they probably won't since they probably won't have any spaces left at all. What can I tell my parents?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flyteryder
I got 5 offers for adult nursing (King's, Brighton, City of London, Herts and Middlesex), and I firmed Brighton and put City of London as my insurance. I really wanted to firm King's, but I wasn't confident I'd make the offer. King's and Brighton gave me the same offer for BBB. I phoned both admissions departments as I think I'm realistically going to go BBC or maybe BBD. King's said they wouldn't let me in if I got under the offer as they'd find someone else. Brighton said they'd probably still let me in if I got BBC or maybe BBD.

I did a diploma in Financial Studies (alternative to GS and CT and is looked on more favourably) which I'll definitely get a B or A in, so with my 3 real A-Levels Brighton said they'd probably let me in with BBC/D (English Lit, geography and biology) and a B or A in Finance, but King's said they wouldn't, so I firmed Brighton instead. I put City of London as my insurance for CCD because I wanted a reliable insurance.

My parents are angry that I didn't firm King's because it has a much better reputation, and they always watch TV shows like 24 Hours in A&E which is about KCL's hospital and keep telling me I should be there. They're very disappointed I didn't firm King's because it has higher employment prospects and better hospital links. They obviously want the best for me, and keep saying Brighton isn't good enough for me and the fact that I got an interview and offer from King's means I'm good enough to go there. When I try to explain King's wouldn't let me in if I don't meet the offer they don't listen and keep saying they must have liked me to give me an offer so if I get a grade under it won't matter, when I know it really will matter.

How can I convince my parents that Brighton is a good university for me to go to? Their nursing department has good hospital links and good employment prospects, but King's meant everything to my parents. My parents told me to phone up King's on results day to see if they'll still take me, which they probably won't since they probably won't have any spaces left at all. What can I tell my parents?

Well you won't convince them that Brighton is as good as King's because, well, it's not. What you can show them, however, is that you probably weren't going to get BBB and so firming King's would have been stupid. That said, you should have firmed King's and worked your socks off, and had something else as an insurance?
Reply 2
Original post by Junaid96
Well you won't convince them that Brighton is as good as King's because, well, it's not. What you can show them, however, is that you probably weren't going to get BBB and so firming King's would have been stupid. That said, you should have firmed King's and worked your socks off, and had something else as an insurance?

I really wanted to go to either King's or Brighton. Knowing I probably wouldn't get into King's even if I worked my socks off, which I did, I didn't want to give up my Brighton offer knowing I'd then have to go to my insurance. I wouldn't have gotten accommodation for my insurance because they only give accommodation to firmers, and I got accommodation for Brighton. I would have gotten accommodation for King's, but if I didn't get into King's I wouldn't have gotten accommodation at all and would have to had rent privately.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think you're lucky getting any position in the medical sector with BBB or below. Any uni to accept this in the world we live in today is pretty lucky tbh.

But just explain it's your choice you're not going to be happy studying where you don't want to be or pressurising yourself to grades you might not get...

:smile:

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice :smile: on the iPad/iPod app

Have they visited the uni and seen the prospectus and website? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BO'H
in my world you're pretty stupid. do i get to 'lord it' over you?

Of course you get to lord it over me if you like; I never said you couldn't. The difference between your world and mine is in mine I don't have to ask stupid questions to ask if I'm allowed to have an opinion.
Reply 6
It's nursing, I thought the job opportunities wouldn't be much different wherever you go? Maybe wrong though :dontknow:
Reply 7
If you're struggling to get them grades and you're not stupid you obviously didn't work hard enough. Working very hard at A level should result in something from A*A*A*A*-AAB if you aren't stupid. The fact that you didn't firm King's is probably a reflection of your lack of confidence in your ability to work hard to achieve your goals.
Reply 8
You've not picked very good universities in terms of university league tables for your specific course, and if you're looking down on people who are fat, stupid, and whatever else you choose to look down on people for I am sorry, but you're going to be a **** nurse. You can't even make your offers, and yet you're looking down on "stupid" people. You need to look at yourself in the mirror, and see where you're in society, and see if Nursing really is the course for you - because currently you do not come across as a good person at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Well the employment and continuing education rate for nursing at brighton is 90%, I don't think kings is realistically getting you much extra in that respect... Perhaps a few more kings nurses go on to do pg's. The employment rate average over all courses at a uni is pretty irrelevant since you, or anyone else is only going to do one course at a time.
Reply 10
Regardless, it's your choice and not your parents choice.

Biology A Level is hard. I took it and managed to get an A in it after being predicted a C. So kudos for managing to get offers!

KCL does have a fantabulous rep, but I've had first hand experience that some of the departments' student support services aren't as accessible as ought to be. There's pros and cons to every university! But for a vocational course like something in the Allied Healthcare Professions, you have to study the same content as every other student on your course at a different uni. From personal experience, when it comes to job applications, if you have a 1st from University of NotRedBrick, you're more likely to be drafted for an interview than someone with a 2.2 from PrestigiousUniversityLand.

I attended a former Polytechnic for University and my parents weren't happy at the beginning for location reasons, plus I lied to them about what way around my Firm and Insurance was. But if you have chosen one university over another, for whatever reason, it's probably what your heart most wants. Think hard - would you have still made that decision regardless of grades? Or would you have Firmed KCL? Just trying to get you to think openly rather than linear :rolleyes:

Either/or, it's your choice.

On a personal note, be careful of what you say when using social media sites and forums as a healthcare student. You're representing your profession, even as a student, and it's not uncommon for people to be penalised by their universities for stumbling onto random Forums thinking they have a certain degree of anonymity and being over opionated.
Well if your results are better than expected, why don't you go through adjustment? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by stefl14
If you're struggling to get them grades and you're not stupid you obviously didn't work hard enough. Working very hard at A level should result in something from A*A*A*A*-AAB if you aren't stupid. The fact that you didn't firm King's is probably a reflection of your lack of confidence in your ability to work hard to achieve your goals.

Get your head out of your own ass. Not being stupid does not mean A*A*A* - AAB. I worked hard and I'm proud of myself. Maybe BBC wouldn't be good enough for you, but it certainly is for me. Typical TSR view of if you don't go to a top 20 uni and you get less than AAB your life is over. Look outside for once.

Original post by earlysound
You've not picked very good universities in terms of university league tables for your specific course, and if you're looking down on people who are fat, stupid, and whatever else you choose to look down on people for I am sorry, but you're going to be a **** nurse. You can't even make your offers, and yet you're looking down on "stupid" people. You need to look at yourself in the mirror, and see where you're in society, and see if Nursing really is the course for you - because currently you do not come across as a good person at all.

Where was I supposed to apply? Edniburgh, Sheffield, Manchester? I want 3 years of being somewhere enjoyable rather than being miserable all the time. I obviously came across as a good person in the interviews or I wouldn't have gotten offers in the first place. I'm nice to everyone; of course I'm not actually going to tell patients they're fat or stupid, but I'm allowed to have opinions of them. Not every nurse is from a happy clappy middle class family and thinks every patient who walks through the door is totes amazeballs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Get your head out of your own ass. Not being stupid does not mean A*A*A* - AAB. I worked hard and I'm proud of myself. Maybe BBC wouldn't be good enough for you, but it certainly is for me. Typical TSR view of you don't go to a top 20 uni and get less than AAB your life is over. Look outside for once.

Where was I supposed to apply? Edniburgh, Sheffield, Manchester? I want 3 years of being somewhere enjoyable rather than being miserable all the time. I obviously come across as a good person in the interviews or I wouldn't have gotten offers in the first place. I'm nice to everyone, but I'm allowed to have opionions of them. Not every nurse is happy clappy and thinks everyone is an abosultely amazing person.

What is wrong with these places? If you're not a retard you can enjoy anywhere you go and find people you will enjoy hanging out with.
Reply 14
Your parents dont have to study there, therefore it isnt their decision

Some parents seem to think they should have the choice of where their child goes, when actually at the age of 18, its none of their business to decide for the child.

Dont they realise we dont even have to let them know if we dont want to. Seen way too many posts about parents trying to control peoples uni decisions recently.
You're really going to go back on my old posts and criticise me? I'll probably get ABC/D, because I find biology incredibly hard. I'll probably get an A in geography, but I won't be disappointed if I get a B. I'm far from stupid. Not everybody who isn't stupid gets a billion A grades.

You won't get ABC/D because your supposed 'A' is a Diploma. You will get BBC/D with a Diploma, two very different things.

You are very silly not firming King's College London, a top institute; Brighton shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
Reply 16
Original post by Meat is Murder
You won't get ABC/D because your supposed 'A' is a Diploma. You will get BBC/D with a Diploma, two very different things.

You are very silly not firming King's College London, a top institute; Brighton shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

Actually my A is probably going to be in geography with an A in the diploma thing as well, I'm not an idiot. My offer said I had to get BBB but I was predicted an A in geography and that's probably what I'm going to get. My predicted grades were AABB in disploma thing, geography, English and biology.
(edited 11 years ago)

Where was I supposed to apply? Edniburgh, Sheffield, Manchester?

Nope. You can't get into those uni's :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Meat is Murder
Nope. You can't get into those uni's :tongue:

With predicted grades of ABB I would have gotten interviews.

The reason you have an insurance is in case you miss your firm offer. From that perspective, your parents have a point. From the grade achievement perspective, you can't win. If there were other reasons for firming Brighton, I would emphasise those.

Ultimately, though, this choice makes minimal difference to your parents, but a great difference to you. They don't have the right to dictate your firm choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending