The Student Room Group

What are some of the courses in which the uni you go to does matter?

I know there are some courses in which the uni you go to doesn't matter on the completion too your course, such as medicine, nursing etc.

So what courses out there you need to be in a really good uni and why is that important?:smile:
Reply 1
Law and economics are big ones... Geography too I think. They're the only 3 that spring to mind...
Original post by Future_Dr
I know there are some courses in which the uni you go to doesn't matter on the completion too your course, such as medicine, nursing etc.

So what courses out there you need to be in a really good uni and why is that important?:smile:

Matter to whom? Unis where you wish to study masters? Employers at big firms? Employers at small firms? Your parents? Your friends?

As Muddy_Hands said, Law and Economics are important career-wise - the top firms are very elitist and pick and choose from the top 10 or so.
Almost all of them - essentially all but those which are funded by the NHS (because in those jobs, you're effectively guaranteed a career with clear progression afterwards).

Law is traditionally one of those ones where the uni you went to is very important.
Original post by Junaid96
As Muddy_Hands said, Law and Economics are important career-wise - the top firms are very elitist and pick and choose from the top 10 or so.

Top firms being who? Top employers? The large graduate schemes in places like banks, consultancies, professional services et cetera? Because they don't care what uni you went to for the vast majority of the jobs, as long as you got a 2.1. There are exceptions for the most sought-after positions (like investment banking amongst others) but the vast majority don't care. Look it up on their websites. And then go ask people who work there. Speaking from experience.

Mind you, I am not talking about law. Law could very well be more elitist - I wouldn't know.
law, if you want to pursue a career as a barrister/big corporate solicitor
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by logiadoevus
Matter to whom? Unis where you wish to study masters? Employers at big firms? Employers at small firms? Your parents? Your friends?

Yes matters if you want to study masters and carry on studying in the field. Also where you work to the employers. Not neccesarily to family or firends.

It is very hard to tell, even for a subject such as law. If you look at statistics for any subject and virtually any career (medicine excluded) there is a strong correlation between university attended and progression.

However, there is also a strong correlation between more able students and better universities.

So, is it the university or the student that makes the difference?

Obviously, it is a bit of both but how much of one and how much of the other?
Original post by logiadoevus
Top firms being who? Top employers? The large graduate schemes in places like banks, consultancies, professional services et cetera? Because they don't care what uni you went to for the vast majority of the jobs, as long as you got a 2.1. There are exceptions for the most sought-after positions (like investment banking amongst others) but the vast majority don't care. Look it up on their websites. And then go ask people who work there. Speaking from experience.

Mind you, I am not talking about law. Law could very well be more elitist - I wouldn't know.

I'm talking top law and banking firms for training contracts - yes, you have to get a 2.1 but you also need to come from at least a top 20 uni or they simply won't look at you, and this is from a talk I had with an employer at a magic circle firm
Original post by nulli tertius
It is very hard to tell, even for a subject such as law. If you look at statistics for any subject and virtually any career (medicine excluded) there is a strong correlation between university attended and progression.

However, there is also a strong correlation between more able students and better universities.

So, is it the university or the student that makes the difference?

Obviously, it is a bit of both but how much of one and how much of the other?

Thats a good point.:wink:
Original post by Junaid96
I'm talking top law and banking firms for training contracts - yes, you have to get a 2.1 but you also need to come from at least a top 20 uni or they simply won't look at you, and this is from a talk I had with an employer at a magic circle firm

Law firms are very different from banking and professional services firms. Law firms may well be elitist. Most others for the vast majority of jobs aren't - the 2.1 is a simple filter at first stage of application; from then on they don't really look at your education but look at you as an individual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending