The Student Room Group

***official spring weeks 2013 thread***

go.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I think it's time

From last year thread :

Goldman Sachs: IBD, Securities

JP Morgan: Spring Week, Industry Impressions (Autumn)
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
Deutsche Bank
BNP Paribas
Credit Suisse
RBS: Divisional Spring Weeks
UBS
BarCap
Bank of America ML
Nomura
HSBC
Reply 2
Anyone been able to apply for UBS Insights? It says applications are opened but the search doesn't find anything?
Reply 3
Just narrowly missed my LSE offer, and ended up with AAB. Is there still any point applying for a spring week internship with these grades and attendance at a non-target University, or will my application get canned at the first round?
Reply 4
Original post by Thal
Just narrowly missed my LSE offer, and ended up with AAB. Is there still any point applying for a spring week internship with these grades and attendance at a non-target University, or will my application get canned at the first round?

Of course its still worth applying! What uni did you end up at?
Reply 5
International Business, Finance and Econ at Manchester. Still waiting on two remarked Biology modules in the hope of the extra 4 UMS I need but I'm not hopeful. Still a good school I know, I just know how good LSE's rep is with I-Banking and financial services. Thanks for the encouragement though.
Reply 6
Original post by Thal
International Business, Finance and Econ at Manchester. Still waiting on two remarked Biology modules in the hope of the extra 4 UMS I need but I'm not hopeful. Still a good school I know, I just know how good LSE's rep is with I-Banking and financial services. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Dude take a gap year and reapply! LSE is a big big difference from Manchester. Also even if you do not get an offer from the great uni's the gap year will allow you to gain work experience and travel. Something which will help you in the future, especially if you get into LSE or another top uni second time around.
Reply 7
Original post by Ram92
Dude take a gap year and reapply! LSE is a big big difference from Manchester. Also even if you do not get an offer from the great uni's the gap year will allow you to gain work experience and travel. Something which will help you in the future, especially if you get into LSE or another top uni second time around.

I've considered it, but it seems risky applying again after getting insufficient grades first time round. From the LSE website:

"Generally, our Admissions Tutors prefer applicants to have achieved their exam grades in the first sitting. Whilst you are welcome to re-apply again in the next Admissions cycle, you should note that your application may be at a disadvantage to those who have achieved their results in one examination year."

Hmmm some big decisions ahead.
Reply 8
Original post by Thal
I've considered it, but it seems risky applying again after getting insufficient grades first time round. From the LSE website:

"Generally, our Admissions Tutors prefer applicants to have achieved their exam grades in the first sitting. Whilst you are welcome to re-apply again in the next Admissions cycle, you should note that your application may be at a disadvantage to those who have achieved their results in one examination year."

True that, however there are other great unis such as Bristol. LSE is only one of your unis. If worse comes to worse you will end up at a uni on par with Manchester and have experience under your belt. For me it is worth the extra year and risk.

You can also maybe take another A-Level or something
Reply 9
Original post by Thal

I agree with Ram92..It is worth it IMO, you can put in Durham, LSE, Bristol, Notts etc. and pick up work experience within the year out.

Although I deffered my firm, I'm doing my Gap year to pick up experience.
Reply 10
Original post by Thal

With resits, investment banking target schools such as UCL and Warwick (depending on course) shouldn't be out of reach.

Try Warwick management, or UCL Information Management for Business
has anyone applied for spring weeks? Isn't it a bit too early?
However, I've got a question: is investment management less competitive than investment banking or securities?
Reply 12
Do I need any previous internships or anything to get a spring week internship as I have none lol. I'm going to Cambridge for Maths btw.
Original post by JustR
Anyone been able to apply for UBS Insights? It says applications are opened but the search doesn't find anything?

I can't seem to do anything either, I suppose it is just a case of wait and keep checking.

Daniel
Reply 14
Guys, how important are a- level grades when applying for spring weeks? I have no proper work exp, are most people in my situation, as I'm worried about being rejected having no prior work exp.
Thanks
To people asking about work experience. It'd be great if you already had some but for most people - spring weeks are the first foray into banking.

I'll probably be sending out applications ASAP.

I don't think I want a banking career but I want to try find out for sure :smile:
Reply 16
how important are a-level grades for these internships?
i got A*ABB. starting UCL this september for economics and business
Is the Ib insight more interesting than the technology one ? And is it easier to get into the technology one ? I am saying that because I am actually in an Electrical Engineering course . I probably think that it will be easier for me to try the tech insight .
Reply 18
Are people putting down their university address for preferred contact address?
Original post by Groat
Are people putting down their university address for preferred contact address?

I was putting my home address but I don't think it matters too much as most communication is done by email. Haven't sent it off yet so can still change. Perhaps just email HR and ask what would be best?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending