The Student Room Group

***official spring weeks 2013 thread***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi everyone,

I don't really buy into this whole 'too early to apply' consensus. As it's a few weeks away from University, it seems logical to put your best efforts into great applications and not have to worry when there are the stresses of studies and the need to settle in well at University - you wouldn't want to become the hall hermit because you're polishing your psychometric testing and interview questions.

I've completed applications for all that are open - everything apart from JPM and BNPP - and I wouldn't say, contrary to the sometimes quite scalding remarks on here, that any are rushed or of a worse quality than if I'd have chosen to apply later on.

If anything, I'd say that next month - when I'm busy with my Society (Bath Finance), starting second year and looking for year abroad placements (modern languages student) - it would be harder to get 100% focus for an application with so much going on, let alone having 10 others to stress about.

I'm not particularly convinced by this idea of waiting for networking events either, in most cases. For the most cronyist sessions and fairs such as those at Oxbridge, LSE etc (and I'm not judging, I'd love to have the opportunities you guys do!), sure it might be worth waiting but it's worth remembering that people can still put a good word in internally once the applications are in, and I speak from experience.

I am attending the Bright Investment Banking Network on Monday (which I assume some of you are too) and rather than waiting until afterwards I have got on with it and highlighted this in the application. Putting "having spoken to your representatives at ____" and "this month I'm going to speak to your representatives at ____" seem synonymous to me, personally. As long as they know you're going, they'll assume you're going to network with their reps and by and large the reps will probably tell you the same 'unique' nuggets of information.

All I'm trying to say, I suppose, is that if you're looking through all these posts not knowing much about the SW process and you don't have that much to gain from waiting, it seems illogical to not apply when you've got tons of free time to perfect the applications. My position is fortunate because as a second year I've already been on an easter internship and got involved with things at University so I don't have to wait to find things to add, but I wouldn't wait for the sake of waiting because people on here seem desperate to make you feel bad about getting ahead.

Just my thoughts. I'm not stating this as fact so don't stone me! Any comments welcome.

Sources: A friend who is an MD in IBD at a BB bank who is involved in recruitment and every other representative I've spoken to at networking sessions always stress to apply early.

Background: 3A* (Maths, Econ, French), non-target uni (Bath), 1st class mark for first year, completed an Easter Internship at an accountancy firm and a Discovery Day at BP and on Committee of University Finance Society.
Original post by GeorgeV123
Hi everyone,

I don't really buy into this whole 'too early to apply' consensus. As it's a few weeks away from University, it seems logical to put your best efforts into great applications and not have to worry when there are the stresses of studies and the need to settle in well at University - you wouldn't want to become the hall hermit because you're polishing your psychometric testing and interview questions.

I've completed applications for all that are open - everything apart from JPM and BNPP - and I wouldn't say, contrary to the sometimes quite scalding remarks on here, that any are rushed or of a worse quality than if I'd have chosen to apply later on.

If anything, I'd say that next month - when I'm busy with my Society (Bath Finance), starting second year and looking for year abroad placements (modern languages student) - it would be harder to get 100% focus for an application with so much going on, let alone having 10 others to stress about.

I'm not particularly convinced by this idea of waiting for networking events either, in most cases. For the most cronyist sessions and fairs such as those at Oxbridge, LSE etc (and I'm not judging, I'd love to have the opportunities you guys do!), sure it might be worth waiting but it's worth remembering that people can still put a good word in internally once the applications are in, and I speak from experience.

I am attending the Bright Investment Banking Network on Monday (which I assume some of you are too) and rather than waiting until afterwards I have got on with it and highlighted this in the application. Putting "having spoken to your representatives at ____" and "this month I'm going to speak to your representatives at ____" seem synonymous to me, personally. As long as they know you're going, they'll assume you're going to network with their reps and by and large the reps will probably tell you the same 'unique' nuggets of information.

All I'm trying to say, I suppose, is that if you're looking through all these posts not knowing much about the SW process and you don't have that much to gain from waiting, it seems illogical to not apply when you've got tons of free time to perfect the applications. My position is fortunate because as a second year I've already been on an easter internship and got involved with things at University so I don't have to wait to find things to add, but I wouldn't wait for the sake of waiting because people on here seem desperate to make you feel bad about getting ahead.

Just my thoughts. I'm not stating this as fact so don't stone me! Any comments welcome.

Sources: A friend who is an MD in IBD at a BB bank who is involved in recruitment and every other representative I've spoken to at networking sessions always stress to apply early.

Background: 3A* (Maths, Econ, French), non-target uni (Bath), 1st class mark for first year, completed an Easter Internship at an accountancy firm and a Discovery Day at BP and on Committee of University Finance Society.

good post. I assume you're doing a four year MSc? of course you can't apply for spring weeks in your second year of a three year course.
For those of you that have already applied. Did you bother to include cover letters with your app? Or just stick to the resume?
Reply 83
Hi everyone,

The main difference is as a 2nd year on a 4 year degree, you have had the time to network, join societies and learn more about the industry for a year while someone who has just finished A Levels and confirmed their uni place obviously hasn't.

Given that, I would still recommend applying only in mid-October after attending a few campus events and understanding the different roles of bank/where your skill sets lie. If you've had a gap year and already got some exposure though, it makes sense to apply asap.
Reply 84
Original post by hockeyjoe
good post. I assume you're doing a four year MSc? of course you can't apply for spring weeks in your second year of a three year course.

I'm a languages student (BA), so mine is a four-year course with a year abroad. The KPMG Easter Internship last year was open to 1st- and 2nd-year students on a 4-year course, the only one to do so I think! Definitely worth a look for anybody who can't apply to the banking internships because they've got to wait for their second year.
Reply 85
Original post by xclaraxx
The main difference is as a 2nd year on a 4 year degree, you have had the time to network, join societies and learn more about the industry for a year while someone who has just finished A Levels and confirmed their uni place obviously hasn't.

Given that, I would still recommend applying only in mid-October after attending a few campus events and understanding the different roles of bank/where your skill sets lie. If you've had a gap year and already got some exposure though, it makes sense to apply asap.

I agree. I didn't mean to come across like I was against waiting in this scenario, apologies if I did. I just got the impression from reading through the thread that it was an absolute cardinal sin to apply when the programs opened, irrespective of circumstances. What I said applied to students who had nothing to gain from waiting and who already had a good idea of their career aspirations. If you're not in that position, it's a different story and gaining exposure is key to developing a genuine interest that will come through during the applications.
about all the bits like why would you like to do your chosen role, i havent done much research into the different roles really. is anyone able to give me a good starting point for this?
Reply 87
I agree. I didn't mean to come across like I was against waiting in this scenario, apologies if I did. I just got the impression from reading through the thread that it was an absolute cardinal sin to apply when the programs opened, irrespective of circumstances. What I said applied to students who had nothing to gain from waiting and who already had a good idea of their career aspirations. If you're not in that position, it's a different story and gaining exposure is key to developing a genuine interest that will come through during the applications.

Sensible approach and of course not a cardinal sin to apply early if you know what you are doing and are well informed about the banks you are applying to already, perhaps as you went to careers fairs and similar events last year.
Reply 88
Which banks have opened their application process?
Original post by toofaforu
about all the bits like why would you like to do your chosen role, i havent done much research into the different roles really. is anyone able to give me a good starting point for this?

Google different roles and then look at what you think sounds interesting - then research that one further. We're not gonna spoon feed you advice for beating us in applications :wink:
Already open:
BC
Citi
Credit Suisse
DB
GS
JP
Nomura
UBS
Anyone have a back-up?

I have a hilarious Spring Week back-up.
Original post by WalkerPrince
Anyone have a back-up?

I have a hilarious Spring Week back-up.

Nope not at all, though I am applying for summer internships outside of banking to try maximise experience in first year.

Go on then, what is it? :tongue:
Original post by Intriguing Alias
Nope not at all, though I am applying for summer internships outside of banking to try maximise experience in first year.

Go on then, what is it? :tongue:

Yes, I'm doing the same.

It's actually not that funny, it's just so un-IB. It's Unilever's Customer Management (Sales) program. Reason why it's a safer bet, no numerical and emphasis on CV/Cover.
Original post by just_simple
i dont know if im just blind at the moment or if something else is wrong but after clicking on "apply here" on the J.P. Morgan page I can't find the spring weeks on the job search page. How did you find it? i would be thankful for every reply!

Not started JP yet. Sorry
Reply 95
Original post by WalkerPrince
Yes, I'm doing the same.

It's actually not that funny, it's just so un-IB. It's Unilever's Customer Management (Sales) program. Reason why it's a safer bet, no numerical and emphasis on CV/Cover.

Does the Unilever summer program open to first year students?
Reply 96
when do interviews tend to happen?
Reply 97
Does anyone have the dates of the spring week for the different banks ?
I can't find the dates on the bank website.
I'm doing a four years course so I'll be in this position next year... All the best guys :smile:

Though I am thinking of applying for a few for the sake of experience (I've emailed a few places and they said that you can't apply for a second Spring Week in the second year so you can't follow on with an internship. Therefore, your chance of following onto a Graduate Programme there is more or less scuppered). Would you think it'd be valuable experience to apply to some banks (this is really hard to phrase, I don't want to say lesser but I guess that's what I am insinuating) that I don't wish to continue an internship at?
Reply 99
I've not applied to any SW events yet and don't know when I should. I don't know too much about the whole process. I went to the Bright Investment Banking Network event the other day and the general consensus seemed to be that applying early is the best thing to do as offers are made on a rolling basis. However, I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial to me to go to careers fairs at university first. Also, how many (and which) banks expect us to go into a specific division in spring week because I don't feel my knowledge is in depth enough right now to pick between S&T and IBD for example. Also, do most banks expect us to write a cover letter in addition to a CV. If it is required, how different should each cover letter be. At the networking event I attended they said that I should do research on how each firm differs in their culture etc but when I asked representatives they all came up with the same BS.

BTW my background is as follows:
University of Cambridge, Economics, first year
4A*s at A2 in Maths, FM, economics and Biology.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending