The Student Room Group

Post Grad Medicine

Would i be able to study optometry and then enter a post grad course for medicine or is this course not suitable

is there any other courses which are of similar sort and provide a pathway into postgrad medicine
Reply 1
Original post by Brightbud
Would i be able to study optometry and then enter a post grad course for medicine or is this course not suitable

is there any other courses which are of similar sort and provide a pathway into postgrad medicine

Graduate entry medicine you mean. Postgrad medicine requires an undergraduate medicine degree (i.e. MB ChB etc).

But yeah, Optometry should be fine, you'll need a 2:1. I guess similar courses in that vein would be allied health degrees such as audiology, SALT etc?
Reply 2
Also interested in knowing the answer.
i am hoping to do the exact same thing :smile: And the course is very much suitable.
Reply 4
thanks for the reply and sorry yh what you said, just looking into this stuff.. im getting my As grades 2 days from now and weighing up my options on which course to do, doubt i will get into medicine this year

thinking of taking a gap year but came across the graduate entry!

Layladasilva, are you studying optometry at the moment

and another question because of the costs of the courses, and the graduate entry with medicine would mean atleast 8 years, that is like 72 grand debt,

is it really worth it?
Reply 5
thanks for the reply and sorry yh what you said, just looking into this stuff.. im getting my As grades 2 days from now and weighing up my options on which course to do, doubt i will get into medicine this year

and another question because of the costs of the courses, and the graduate entry with medicine would mean atleast 8 years, that is like 72 grand debt,

is it really worth it?

There is no way of knowing whether there will still be support from Student Finance for Graduate Entry courses by the time you'd be applying right now. Taking a gap year and applying/reapplying then rather than rushing to uni to do some other course really is a no-brainer.

is it really worth it?

Actually, I ended up studying Medicine for a year at an institution where the methods of learning did not suit me at all as well as having some personal issues of my own I dropped out. I hope to do optometry first because i think it's great and very specific and i will immensely enjoy it and graduate medicine thereafter (I would be more prepared etc).

In terms of funding, after you graduate, you can always become a optometrist part-time to fund your studies, (I know of a pharmacist who did this). I think the NHS also pays for the last 3 years of the graduate degree. It will be a great debt, however, if it something you really want and have a drive for i'm sure you will be able to figure something out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending