The Student Room Group

Is taking a combined honours degree in CompSci and Management at University of Edinbu

I'm thinking about taking a combined degree, but I'm worried that I won't get a good enough education in either and that compromising will be too much. So can I get a good enough education so that I can do either later on?
And can I do a Masters in CompSci after?
You should be able to do a masters in CompSci after this degree. Doing a joint honours is probably fine if you are doing it at a respected university (like Edinburgh) although you will of course be getting a less detailed study than if you did a single honours. In my opinion, it is best to do what you want to most - if you would rather do this degree then go for it.
Reply 2
Remember that you will need a min of 2:1 to normally get on a masters however I'm sure you will. Personally if I was you look into what kind of jobs are available through these subjects. If you see something that you really want (I know a lot of consulting companies like these sort of degrees for the less technical consultants they hire), then go for it and you shouldn't need to worry too much about a masters.

However if you want to go down a really technical route, it might be better just doing CompSci as it will give you much more in terms of theory (from my understanding).
Reply 3
I was hoping that taking a combined degree and then taking a masters will allow me to get any job in computer scinece as I would with a regular degree, and leaving enough room for advancement for a management position in IT.
Is that possible?
Reply 4
From what I've seen you still have to work up. Having business won't help you out straight away. You will need the personal skills more than business/management. Obviously it will help when you get down to the last stages of promotion. If you feel it is right then give it a go, your might shoot up through a business or at least have a head start. This would however be based on the company itself, if it tends to need managers with extra business skills then you will have an advantage. If it is a business like I work in right now, each department have non techie business management. So in the latter your degree won't really help as they have their non techy who does all the management you get taught. Then project managers (on the same level) who are techie and dictate how the direction of the technology.

As I said it might work and give you the added skills, however it might be irrelevant for the company you go to work in. Guess it's really a risk, but on the other hand having more business knowledge could give you better reasoning behind your ideas etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending