The Student Room Group

Students that did well at school/college, but not university?

Why do some students at university tend to perform poorly/mediocrely than they did at school/college?

For example, I know a few people got very good GCSEs (As, Bs, some Cs) and A-levels (BBC), but got a 2.2/3rd.

Why do you think this is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well the obvs. answer is that the work is more advanced and therefore more difficult.

There's a lot of stuff that can balls it up for you. People can fail at managing their own time away from home, maybe depression or schizophrenia kicked in.

Etc.
Etc.
It's the opposite for me, I did well at school, not great in college during first year and gone back to doing well at uni. It's probably to do with either teaching quality or the difficulty progression. A-levels and GCSEs are mainly about information memorisation, but you can't do this for a degree and expect to still do well - you need to have your own ideas and use proper sources of info - no more Wikipedia!
Reply 3
Some people aren't suited to the requirements of university - independent research, independent thinking, increased workload etc.

Doing well at school isn't an indicator you'll do well at uni. I didn't get great A-levels but got a 2.1 in my first year
Reply 4
There's a major difference between A level and University. Often A level involves memorising knowledge - university is about interpretation. So you don't just read information and quote it back it, you compare it, you develop original ideas, conduct personal research and read widely. Over time you adapt to the new way of working. University is very different to college/sixth form - but don't worry. You are guided through it and provided you listen and take on board what you're told you will cope with no problem.
Original post by ancientone
There's a major difference between A level and University. Often A level involves memorising knowledge - university is about interpretation. So you don't just read information and quote it back it, you compare it, you develop original ideas, conduct personal research and read widely. Over time you adapt to the new way of working. University is very different to college/sixth form - but don't worry. You are guided through it and provided you listen and take on board what you're told you will cope with no problem.

I'm not worried because I've just completed my degree and got a 2:1. I'm just curious to know why some students tend not to perform as well.
Because they don't spoon feed you at Uni.
Reply 7
my friend got 5 A's at a level and has just left Cambridge with a 3rd in Maths....
A lot of people also dropped out of uni aswell
Reply 8
Some people probably get carried away with the independence of uni and prefer partying, staying out all night etc and forget the actual reason they are at uni in the first place, whereas at school/sixth form/college you have teachers on your back reminding you to hand in work, holding revision classes etc you don't get this at uni and have to learn things for yourself.
Reply 9
I hope to do a lot better at uni than I did in school and college :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
use proper sources of info - no more Wikipedia!

There are some degrees wiki is basically fine for:p:
(Maths and physics are the most obvious ones)

Original post by lcsurfer
my friend got 5 A's at a level and has just left Cambridge with a 3rd in Maths....
A lot of people also dropped out of uni aswell

In fairness, 5 As at A level is significantly easier than cam maths, so that's not so uncommon (that is, most people with 3rds will still have silly numbers of A levels).
Probably the 12 A*ers who can't cope without chivvying mark schemes.....sorry, is true!
Reply 12
uni is different. very different. I know someone who has straight A*s at GCSE and A Level and is now really struggling at Oxford. He works day and night, always has, but is scraping a 2.2 at the moment.
I have gradually getting worse, good in gcse, average in alevel, fail in uni
Reply 14
It's harder. The actual work but also the entire method of learning. I knew uni was going to be more independent before I started but I was really thrown off at how its ALL up to you entirely (no structured lessons, sheets, homework etc) for the first few weeks of starting. Of course I knew it was going to be like that, but it meant I couldn't use my old habits of learning and working that worked for me at alevel.

Also, sometimes the freedom of uni gets to people and people find life/studying/employment/friends harder to balance.
Reply 15
There are way, way more variables once you get to university. For instance, there are huge differences in how difficult a degree is between universities and between subjects. It's not so simple to say (as some have in this thread) that someone who gets A*A*A*A* + 1,1 in STEP and then gets a 2.2 at Cambridge in Maths is doing much worse than someone going to London Met doing a degree in Drama but getting a 2.1. Nothing is standardised like it is at A level making it impossible to compare.

Also, I'm not sure where people are getting things like 'you don't have to memorise stuff at uni'. There was a colossal amount of information I had to have in my memory for uni, at least 20 times the amount at A level. Not just that, but the exams were made up of not just bookwork memorisation, but of far tougher problem solving as well, which is why some people do well at A level and not so well at uni.
Reply 16
Original post by Slumpy
There are some degrees wiki is basically fine for:p:
(Maths and physics are the most obvious ones)

Computer Science, too.

I think it is good for all science subjects, because it contains hard facts with citations. I use it much more now than I ever did at school.
Reply 17
If you have a good memory you can effectivly get through GCSEs and A-levels without the need to work that hard or revise alot. At University some of these people will find that they have to start working and some people do not make the transition as well as others. Also for some subjects like Mathematics where you just reach a plateau in terms of your level of understanding. Some reach it at GCSE others at Further Maths, some in undergrad degree and some never. So you may be an A* A-level student but not able to understand 3rd year uni Maths to a 2.i standard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Memory in many subjects will get you a 2.2 or if you're lucky a low 2.1. Interpretation (which demands a mix of understanding, research and breadth of reading) will be your best bet of a 2.1 and is essential for a first. Memory will only get you so far, and not as far as at school/college. To achieve well demands much more organisation, and that's something else you need to do that used to be done for you - getting the balance between work and play is one of the most difficult things for many students to learn. In many, many subjects rely on memory alone and you are in for a big, big shock.
Original post by Fallen
Computer Science, too.

I think it is good for all science subjects, because it contains hard facts with citations. I use it much more now than I ever did at school.

As long as you don't reference it in your work you're okay, but at least where I go the lecturers look down on it and mark you down because it's not considered a reputable source. We all use it for quick info, though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending