The Student Room Group

Accredited courses, what is their worth?

CMI, AIA, CIM, CIMA, PMI, CIPS, CIPD etc...

How are accredited degrees viewed upon compared to degrees without accreditation?

Is an accredited degree from a less prestigious institution going 'leapfrog' a non-accredited course from a more reputed university?

Accreditation bodies claim their approved programmes lead to a better career.

Everyone with an opinion is welcome to chime in.
Reply 1
If you know what you want to be when you grow up, then you can target the development of your qualification toward professional Chartered registration whether it is engineering, accountancy or whatever. The accredited degrees are usually just part of the picture with training and experience requirements. The course accreditation is not just about quality, it is about being a degree with the right content for the registration you seek.

Research the real meaning and take-up of the accreditation CIM, CIMA, CEng and whether it is a requirement to practice. In the case of engineering for example a Chartered Engineer in Canada or Australia must sign drawings and certify designs.

TBD
Reply 2
Right, accreditation isn't a requirement to practice, it's merely a 'bonus'.
Is an accredited programme the preferred choice over non-accredited course, generally speaking and irrespective of institutions offering them?
Reply 3
Professional registration or licensing may a requirement to practice if you are training to be a surgeon or even a financial advisor. It may be a prerequisite that you need to have followed an accredited course to obtain professional licensing or registration.

ipso facto audi quattro.

It is worth noting that protectionism is on the increase and registrations are a symptom of that. It may be a "bonus", or it may be highly desirable or even essential.

TBD

Original post by warlock
Right, accreditation isn't a requirement to practice, it's merely a 'bonus'.
Is an accredited programme the preferred choice over non-accredited course, generally speaking and irrespective of institutions offering them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
It depends on the topic. My BA in Accountancy was accredited for certain modules, which i definitely think is a bonus! My degree is not looked upon differently, seeing as most employers won't even know. Just having the two qualifications is enough.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I8160

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending