Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Results Day and Beyond: The Official Unofficial Guide to Starting at Chester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lil2wkd
The info about the events of Fresher's Week is actually out of date as it was for Fresher's Week last year! They haven't released any of the information yet on what's happening, then it's been something similar for the past three years. Last year there was King Charles, the year before we had Rizzle Kicks, and he year before that I don't recall at all! As soon as there's any information though, I'll update it, it's usually early in August that we get the information. The SU is just the shorthand for the Student Union building, though normally people use it to refer to the bar there. You will no doubt get to now it very well as its possibly the cheapest drinks prices in Chester!

Ahh! Okay, thanks :smile:
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 21
Where can we find our freshers line up? I've heard it's meant to be out today :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keep checking the Students' Union website http://www.chestersu.com/ To keep up with all the latest news from the Students' union make sure you follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
Reply 23
Do Chester send out good luck cards in the post? I've received them from my insurance and other universities but not Chester and they're my firm! I don't know if i'm just panicking or it's a bad sign. Thanks!
We sent out "good luck in your exams" type emails in May, but not recently. Maybe something for us to think about next year! Hope everything's OK
Does this mean that classes only start during the 2nd week of Uni? I'm wondering when official studying will actually commence.
Original post by Jessilein17
Does this mean that classes only start during the 2nd week of Uni? I'm wondering when official studying will actually commence.

Hi, you will have some introductory sessions for your subject(s) during induction week, but your proper timetable will start during your second week. You should attend all of your induction sessions to make the most of your first week here. Hope this helps :smile:
Do we get any letter for the uni before we start like saying what times we have to come and where to go, or anything like this?
Original post by HappyHarpreet
Do we get any letter for the uni before we start like saying what times we have to come and where to go, or anything like this?

I think that info comes in our welcome pack :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by HappyHarpreet

Everything should arrive in the post a week or two beforehand. Your first week is just getting acclimatised to the place-I don't think things have changed since I started my course in 2010. My days might get a bit mixed up, but here goes..
Sunday-You arrive. You meet the people you're going to be living with for the next year and there's a big welcome ceremony where the Dean will turn up and so on. Mature students usually have a more casual meet and greet as well to meet other mature students. It's not a case of segregation, it's just be surrounded by people considerably younger (I was 27) can be scary as hell so it's nice to find a kindred spirit! Then the Fresher's events start up and so on and so forth.
Monday-Mostly paperwork. You get officially signed onto courses and stuff, pick up your student ID and council tax exemption certificates (I think) and that's pretty much it.
Tuesday/Thursday-Meet your course leaders. You get more of an idea on how you'll be assessed and so on, who you can talk to etc etc.
Wednesday/Friday-One of these days is the Fresher's Fair, the other is Sports and Society fair. The Fresher's fair is basically a load of local companies offering all sorts of random free stuff to you because you're a fresher-voucher booklets, pizza, stuff like that. The sports and so fair is where all the societies get you to see what they're about, give you a vague idea on what to expect in terms of fees and to convince you to come to sample sessions.

And obviously, much celebration of being Freshers!
Hi, i've applied to come to Chester this September, i will be applying for university accomodation, however i am from Liverpool so live around 30 miles away by car. It was originally mentioned that if you live around 30 miles away from the University then you probably won't get accomodation. If that is the case then i will have to go private and i am worried i will be left out meaning i will not make any friends. I was wondering how well people in private accomodation integrate with the rest of the students since they are so separate? :smile:
Original post by kahill18
Hi, i've applied to come to Chester this September, i will be applying for university accomodation, however i am from Liverpool so live around 30 miles away by car. It was originally mentioned that if you live around 30 miles away from the University then you probably won't get accomodation. If that is the case then i will have to go private and i am worried i will be left out meaning i will not make any friends. I was wondering how well people in private accomodation integrate with the rest of the students since they are so separate? :smile:

Hi, thanks for your message.

If you have selected Chester as either your firm or insurance choice, you can apply for university owned and partnership accommodation from the 30th March 2015.

You should soon be receiving information through the post about our online application process. As soon as you’ve received these details you can then start to apply online.

In answer to your question about location, we have never had a set distance, and at this stage it is impossible for us to provide a definite answer as distances to which we can allocate to changes year on year. But as we now have Tramways ( exciting new partnership accommodation http://you.chester.ac.uk/blog/new-accommodation-september-2015) on our portfolio we have more accommodation than ever before and are therefore able to allocate an additional 398 students to accommodation. Places will be allocated in line with our allocation policy, which can be found here. http://www.chester.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective-students/how-to-apply

Our aim at the University of Chester is to help all first year undergraduates find suitable accommodation either in University residences, our partnership accommodation or in the private sector. If for any reason we are unable to allocate you to university owned or partnership accommodation, firstly, don’t panic. If you are not offered University accommodation you will receive a web link providing the contact details of private sector landlords within the area who are advertising student properties. All the properties on the web site have been accredited or Student Stamped by Cheshire West and Chester Council and are close to the University. Once you receive the link you will need to contact the landlords directly to make appointments to view the properties. Please visit www.chesterstudentstamp.co.uk for further information.

With lots of welcome events and activities going on during Fresher's week, there's plenty of opportunity to make friends and meet new people so try not to worry. :smile:

Hopefully this info has helped, but just let me know if you have any other questions.

Please keep an eye on our website http://www.chester.ac.uk/accommodation and the Applicant Blog Space http://you.chester.ac.uk/ for further information.

Also, why not follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/uocaccommodationoffice for the latest information.

Have a good weekend
Soph
Accommodation Co-ordinator
Thank you, that has helped :smile:
I live 23 miles away (in Liverpool) and I seriously wouldn't be able to commute unless I took a bus and 2 trains...will I seriously have no chance at accommodation 😣
Reply 34
Original post by BekahMay
I live 23 miles away (in Liverpool) and I seriously wouldn't be able to commute unless I took a bus and 2 trains...will I seriously have no chance at accommodation 😣

I was in the same situation to you when I did my degree-it simply wasn't worth looking. Back then if I recall it was a 30 miles radius (5 years ago) which I think went out as far as Southport and the outer suburbs of Manchester. The best advice I can give is look around now for places to rent in the area. You don't miss anything out by not being in halls unless you choose to miss out on things, but definitely look closer. We're an awesome university, but most unis will act on the same policy as Chester, even if it is one hell of a commute :frown:
I'm due to be studying Prinary Education with QTS, I am aware it is a full on course compared to some others.

Anyone know roughly how many hours are involved of classes/lectures. I am a mature student and regardless of finance I still need to work alongside my degree.

Also DBS - when and how do I go about this? Had no letter about it?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending