The Student Room Group

Help with a duty cycle please

Good day to all,

This is probably not the normal question you would get but should get the grey matter burning. Unfortunatly it has melted most of my sanity and I still cannot get a solution. But I am not a mathmatician. My Maths A-Level was in 1987!!! and I failed!!!

So help please.... here is the problem.

The current situation is I have 5 people who cover a 24/7 rosta. Each persons 12hr shift, cycles through; 7 days, then 7 nights then 21 off.

I am now to introduce a new post and a sixth person. The new post is to be covered during days only.

Could you please help devise a rosta that always has a bum on a seat, all persons cycle through all positions, time in work and off work are not fragmented, and the ratio of 2on/3off is not lessened.

I am at a loss!!

So to recap: 3 positions / 6 people / cycle ration not less than 2 on 3 off.

Good luck and thank you.

S
Reply 1
Original post by brightideer

So to recap: 3 positions / 6 people / cycle ration not less than 2 on 3 off.

You currently have 5 working full pelt. You are adding two-fifths of a person but a whole extra post.
if I understand correctly:smile:

which would make things difficult.
Reply 2
Yes it is a head ache. Best I have come up with so far is 1 wk days / 1wk nights / 21 off / 1wk 3rd post / 1wk off.

Then start the cycle again. There are gaps though. If i had another worker then it would work great. But i don't.

Maybe it just cannot be done with panache

Cheers

s
Reply 3
Your new worker works 2 weeks in 5 but your new post needs filling 5 weeks in 5.
so something has to give

Quick Reply

Latest