The Student Room Group

Please tell me some positive Clearing stories

has anyone known anybody go through clearing and had a pleasant experience, coz i really dont want to have to ring loads of uni's

thankyou
There are a bunch of stories on the TSR website: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/2011_Clearing_Experiences (links at the bottom to earlier years)
Original post by katie182
has anyone known anybody go through clearing and had a pleasant experience, coz i really dont want to have to ring loads of uni's

thankyou

In my job as a sixth form tutor I've had the experience of seeing many students go through clearing successfully for many years. It usually works out pretty well. Please don't stress too much ahead of time.
Reply 3
Original post by carnationlilyrose
In my job as a sixth form tutor I've had the experience of seeing many students go through clearing successfully for many years. It usually works out pretty well. Please don't stress too much ahead of time.

thank you very much :smile:
I've been through clearing twice and overall I'd say both experiences were good. On both occasions I used clearing because I had left my applications too late and hadn't applied in the traditional way earlier in the year. I applied in 2003 for a degree course and succesfully completed that. I applied last year for another degree and am going into my second year this september. I have no regrets.

My only advise is to be as organised as possible. Check the vaccancies list when it becomes available tonight. Make a list of the universities you want to apply to and have all the relevant numbers and course details written down. Also make a note of when the clearing hotlines open for each uni as times can vary. That way you can make schedule of the order in which you will call the unis, or you can also base it on your preference. Have you results at hand and also be prepared to chase unis up. They get thousands of calls. You may have to wait for a long time before you get to speak to someone. If they tell you that you will be called back try and get a time frame on how long you can expect to wait and if they don't call back within that timeframe, call back. Good luck everyone. I'm sure you will be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by shanghaichica
I've been through clearing twice and overall I'd say both experiences were good. On both occasions I used clearing because I had left my applications too late and hadn't applied in the traditional way earlier in the year. I applied in 2003 for a degree course and succesfully completed that. I applied last year for another degree and am going into my second year this september. I have no regrets.

My only advise is to be as organised as possible. Check the vaccancies list when it becomes available tonight. Make a list of the universities you want to apply to and have all the relevant numbers and course details written down. Also make a note of when the clearing hotlines open for each uni as times can vary. That way you can make schedule of the order in which you will call the unis, or you can also base it on your preference. Have you results at hand and also be prepared to chase unis up. They get thousands of calls. You may have to wait for a long time before you get to speak to someone. If they tell you that you will be called back try and get a time frame on how long you can expect to wait and if they don't call back within that timeframe, call back. Good luck everyone. I'm sure you will be fine.

Where can you find the vacancy list tonight?
Reply 6
Original post by IceCool
Where can you find the vacancy list tonight?

ucas :smile:
Reply 7
I went through clearing in 2005, so a long time ago now, but it was pretty simple.
I missed my offer completely, so after calling to confirm I hadn't been successful - a mere 7 years ago didn't have the facilities at hand to check online etc. I then sat with the paper and looked at other courses available at other unis.
decided on a city I liked, then looked at the uni's there, found a course, phoned them and that was it. got accepted straight away.

Hardest thing I found was the slight panic about accomodation after, however even those students who got the grades often have to sort accomodation out after so don't panic.

If you think you are going to have to go through clearing ensure you have a-fully charged mobile b-all the numbers you might need (ucas, the uni, etc) c-be thinking about other courses you might be interested in d- be thinking about 'where' you might like to study as in city.
In my experience (4 different universities now!) the city makes a huge impact on how much fun/how you settle at uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending