The Student Room Group

Want to come back home fro clearing, but live an hour away from college....

*for
Is that a bad idea? I live an hour away from college but if I were to go through clearing, I'd have the options to do it at college or go home, I know I'd be a lot more comfortable at home, but is an hour too long of a time to wait? Would a lot of places be taken up by 9am?
What would you personally do in my position?

Thank you
(edited 11 years ago)
Your advisers are at college and if anything were to become complicated it would be easier to have them with in short distance rather an hour away. As for timing i don't know as i'm in year 12 :P
Reply 2
Yeah I suppose so
Original post by Minotauro
*from
Is that a bad idea? I live an hour away from college but if I were to go through clearing, I'd have the options to do it at college or go home, I know I'd be a lot more comfortable at home, but is an hour too long of a time to wait? Would a lot of places be taken up by 9am?
What would you personally do in my position?

Thank you

Hey,

Going home is a good idea if that's what you'd like to do - there you'll have chance to get online, have a think and get away from people who are celebrating. You can't actually add a clearing choice until 5pm even if you get an offer really early so you need to be calling lots of universities and weighing up your options so that you chose the right one. Whether you do that at home or at school doesn't really matter. Most people won't have their results at 9am and at 9 you might not even know the status of your application if you've missed your offer but your firm hasn't updated anything on track.

We'll be online from 6am here so school isn't your only option to get support. A lot of people prefer to go away and think about it rather than being pushed into things on the spot at school as you'll need to spend quite a bit of time looking through the clearing vacancies, doing some short lists and researching the courses before you even think about phoning universities.
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic
Hey,

Going home is a good idea if that's what you'd like to do - there you'll have chance to get online, have a think and get away from people who are celebrating. You can't actually add a clearing choice until 5pm even if you get an offer really early so you need to be calling lots of universities and weighing up your options so that you chose the right one. Whether you do that at home or at school doesn't really matter. Most people won't have their results at 9am and at 9 you might not even know the status of your application if you've missed your offer but your firm hasn't updated anything on track.

We'll be online from 6am here so school isn't your only option to get support. A lot of people prefer to go away and think about it rather than being pushed into things on the spot at school as you'll need to spend quite a bit of time looking through the clearing vacancies, doing some short lists and researching the courses before you even think about phoning universities.

Thank you, so much.
Original post by Minotauro
Thank you, so much.

That's ok :smile: hopefully the worry will be for no reason though - let us know how you get on.

Have you read all of the clearing/results day guides? They're linked to in the box on the right hand side of TSR.
Reply 6
Schools and colleges are usually misguided/trying to misguide you. TSR should be your first line of support for Clearing tbh!
Reply 7
Original post by oxymoronic
That's ok :smile: hopefully the worry will be for no reason though - let us know how you get on.

Have you read all of the clearing/results day guides? They're linked to in the box on the right hand side of TSR.

I hope so, but I've always been a 'prepare for the worst, hope for the best' type of person
Yep, I've made my way through quite a lot of the guides, the videos from London South Bank in particular were quite helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest