The Student Room Group

Number of Students applying for Medicine decrease?

Do you think the number of Students applying for Medicine will decrease in 2012 because of the increased University fee's?
I think if anything they will stay the same and maybe even increase at certain Universities, most competetive courses won't see much difference and might increase, mainly because people would rather spend that much money on a course which is respected and will eventually give them a better degree at the end of it.
I doubt it. given that you can be earning £50k+ by the age of 30 as a doctor, who is going to be put off by a few fees?
Reply 3
There might have been a slight decrease, as people who had the option of a gap year last year choosing not to and just applying straight away. But I would expect the decrease to be smaller that what some other courses have experienced.
Reply 4
The number of applicants has decreased from 2011 to 2012 for medicine and dentistry:

2010 - 93,390 aplicants

2011 - 97,409 applicants

2012 - 94,374 applicants

Notice though that there are more applicants in 2012 than in 2010.

These figures are from the UCAS website.
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume
I doubt it. given that you can be earning £50k+ by the age of 30 as a doctor, who is going to be put off by a few fees?

That's ignoring that people do tend to have some interest in a particular subject other than medicine. Moreover, if money is what is motivating people then they ought to be applying to petroleum or chemical engineering for an easier life and more salary.

With that said, I do think the number of applicants to professional degrees will rise. It'll be down to the view that if someone goes to university they now have to turn it into a career and so professional degrees will see a higher number of applicants whereas applicants to courses such as philosophy will fall.
Applications decreased slightly this year, but I expect them to grow again this year now the shock of the fees has near enough subsided. It's worth noting that even if you have 94k applicants instead of 97k, this represents a tiny portion of the competition for each place. It's just going to be as hard as ever to get in!
Original post by Zedd
That's ignoring that people do tend to have some interest in a particular subject other than medicine. Moreover, if money is what is motivating people then they ought to be applying to petroleum or chemical engineering for an easier life and more salary.

What I meant was that people would not be put off due to high fees. I never said that more people will take it because they want money. Just that money does not concern medicine applicants.
Reply 8
I think it's one of those things that we can speculate about - i.e. less people because of the fees, the same because nothing has changed, or more people because it's a "steady paying job" but I think we will just have to wait and see next year for any change.
Reply 9
Interesting figures, anybody know what proportion of the 94k that applied actually got offers or made their offers?
Reply 10
Original post by Yasmeenc
Do you think the number of Students applying for Medicine will decrease in 2012 because of the increased University fee's?

No, why would it? It's not as if students were paying money upfront when it was £3000.

The only significant decrease will be graduates applying to 5 year courses.
I doubt it'll vary that much, yes maybe by a small amount downwards I can believe, but it'll still remain incredibly competitive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending