The Student Room Group

US Summer Camp applicants 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blue_
Doesn't sound to bad then! :smile: Do you have childcare experience? Good luck for your interview! Did you get to decide where it is? or do you have to travel quite a way? I take it you have completed your application? Do you have any tips about the personal statement as i'm trying to do mine! :smile:

I have a bit, not much. I used to help out at a youth club that I used to go to myself, and I had to do work experience at a primary school when I went on my French exchange, but they were both like two years ago. Do you have any? And no, they find someone from your area and meet in a casual place (mine is at Caffe Nero). I would guess the only reason you'd have to travel is if you live in the middle of nowhere, you might have to go to the nearest city or something.

The personal statement took me ages haha, I hate writing those. I read through the example ones lots of times, then I copied the guide they give you and wrote my own bullet points under those and just went from there :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by shenanigan93
I have a bit, not much. I used to help out at a youth club that I used to go to myself, and I had to do work experience at a primary school when I went on my French exchange, but they were both like two years ago. Do you have any? And no, they find someone from your area and meet in a casual place (mine is at Caffe Nero). I would guess the only reason you'd have to travel is if you live in the middle of nowhere, you might have to go to the nearest city or something.

The personal statement took me ages haha, I hate writing those. I read through the example ones lots of times, then I copied the guide they give you and wrote my own bullet points under those and just went from there :smile:

At least you have some experience! I don't have a lot, babysitting and I have younger siblings. I also have some leadership experience I did at school but that was a while ago, haha. Thats good that its in a casual place and you don't have to travel far! :smile: You'll have to let me know how it goes!

I started my personal statement today, i've done about 200 words - I have a feeling its gonna take a while! When did you start you application?
Original post by qwerty7
BUNAC aren't doing it this year :frown: Found that out a couple of weeks ago.

My only question with camp america is this, they say on the website that they will provide the flight to the USA (to New York) and then the transport to the camp (where ever that could be), and will provide the flight back. HOWEVER, they won't provide the transport back from the camp to the New York Airport.

How are we meant to get from the camp (which could be anywhere in the USA) to New York cheaply? That could cost hundreds or thousands depending on where I'm placed. For example I can't imagine the cost if I was placed in a camp in Texas :s-smilie:

Am I overlooking a really important factor I've missed out? I know they give you time afterwards to travel the USA for 30 days, but I don't really have the money to do that, and I don't really want to travel alone either. Is there anyway you can get them to pay for your transport back to the airport since they pay for you to get there? It seems a little weird to leave you stranded alone somewhere?

Thanks for reading guys, hope someone can get back to me! x

There's no way to get them to pay for it - i guess you'd have to use your "pocket money" for that. They may be able to offer cheap travel deals though, check that out on the site (like camp america treks):smile:
Original post by blue_
At least you have some experience! I don't have a lot, babysitting and I have younger siblings. I also have some leadership experience I did at school but that was a while ago, haha. Thats good that its in a casual place and you don't have to travel far! :smile: You'll have to let me know how it goes!

I started my personal statement today, i've done about 200 words - I have a feeling its gonna take a while! When did you start you application?

I will :smile:

Um, I can't quite remember, I think it was about a month ago? There was quite a long gap between me actually opening the account and finishing the application, cos I wasn't 100% sure I was going to do it at first.

Do you know anyone who's worked at a camp before?
Reply 64
I will :smile:

Um, I can't quite remember, I think it was about a month ago? There was quite a long gap between me actually opening the account and finishing the application, cos I wasn't 100% sure I was going to do it at first.

Do you know anyone who's worked at a camp before?

I hope it goes well for you. Do you know how long it will be before you find out?
Yeah, my cousin has and absolutely loved it! :biggrin: do you?
Original post by blue_
I hope it goes well for you. Do you know how long it will be before you find out?
Yeah, my cousin has and absolutely loved it! :biggrin: do you?

I don't know, hopefully not too long though. There are about five people I went to school or college with who have been this summer, nobody I really talk to but I've seen all the Facebook photos and it looks amazing :smile: I'd already thought about it but seeing them all have such a good time was sort of what made me certain about going haha.
Reply 66
I spent 4 summers at camp in the states and ahd the best time ever! I loved it :smile: The first summer I went with BUNAC and they were really helpful and organised and then the rest with CCUSA, equally good, I went with them as my camp requested I did!

At my camp the kitchen and cleaning staff were often from countries where they didn't speak english, often eastern european, but this may have just been my camp!

I had the best summers ever and have life long friends, if I were able to I'd go again!
Reply 67
Original post by peedie pixie
There's no way to get them to pay for it - i guess you'd have to use your "pocket money" for that. They may be able to offer cheap travel deals though, check that out on the site (like camp america treks):smile:

Ahh okay! That defiantly puts me off applying for it. Traveling around america alone for 30 days with very little money and no planning just sounds scary to me!
Reply 68
Whats the difference between usa summer camp and camp leaders?? :s-smilie:
I think I might try wildpacks or americamp hard to decide. The only thing is the whole booking flights yourself. And as I want more of a support type job.
Reply 70
Who are you applying with? I had a telephone interview with Camp Leaders the other day if you want to know about that.

Hi I am also applying with Camp Leaders. Iv had my phone interview and now they are asking for £50 deposit. Have you paid this already? As I havent had an in person interview mentioned to me yet :/
Also my application went through USA Summer Camp website, which confused me slightly. It directed me to the Camp Leaders website where my profile etc is but im worried about it not being legit....
Original post by Lundy
Hi I am also applying with Camp Leaders. Iv had my phone interview and now they are asking for £50 deposit. Have you paid this already? As I havent had an in person interview mentioned to me yet :/
Also my application went through USA Summer Camp website, which confused me slightly. It directed me to the Camp Leaders website where my profile etc is but im worried about it not being legit....

I have, and you get it back if your next interview isn't successful :smile: I wouldn't worry about it not being legit, a couple of people I know went through Camp Leaders. I don't really know them well enough to ask them about their experiences, but I know they've had no problems.
I'm applying through Camp America, cus i feel that they're gonna be reliable since they've been doing it so long. I've completed my application, chosen my interviewer and now i'm just waiting for her to get back to me, and for my references :smile: woo!
Reply 73
Original post by qwerty7
BUNAC aren't doing it this year :frown: Found that out a couple of weeks ago.

My only question with camp america is this, they say on the website that they will provide the flight to the USA (to New York) and then the transport to the camp (where ever that could be), and will provide the flight back. HOWEVER, they won't provide the transport back from the camp to the New York Airport.

How are we meant to get from the camp (which could be anywhere in the USA) to New York cheaply? That could cost hundreds or thousands depending on where I'm placed. For example I can't imagine the cost if I was placed in a camp in Texas :s-smilie:

Am I overlooking a really important factor I've missed out? I know they give you time afterwards to travel the USA for 30 days, but I don't really have the money to do that, and I don't really want to travel alone either. Is there anyway you can get them to pay for your transport back to the airport since they pay for you to get there? It seems a little weird to leave you stranded alone somewhere?

Thanks for reading guys, hope someone can get back to me! x

If you are placed in Texas/far away from New York (which, by the way, is unlikely!) it's likely that you will not fly to JFK like everyone else. My friend got placed in a camp just outside san fran and it was organised for her to fly directly to san fran rather than JFK. They have to do this, otherwise it wouldn't really be fair for people who are a long way away from NYC...

Oh, and P.S., whilst the camp agency won't pay for you to get back to whichever airport you flew into, camps will often help you out with this. My camp is far out from NYC (in NH) and my camp paid for everyone to fly to the nearest airport after we'd flew into JFK, so you never know!

This is all a very unlikely situation though; a huge proportion of camps are situated in New England.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Lundy

Don't worry- Camp Leaders is better than Camp America (i've been through both). It costs less, you get paid more, they have higher placement rates, a highly organised support system (e.g. you get assigned to a 'team' that you can contact with enquiries and stuff), and a better application process (e.g. you can see which camp has your application and when).

I hope future prospective camp hopefuls take this advice on board! Camp America may be the best well known agency but it is definitely not the best one.
Reply 75
Original post by tillytots
OK so I know it's perhaps a little early to start this seeing as people are still in the US doing this years camps, but I thought we could start a thread for those considering it maybe?! Saves everyone creating a ton of them.

I'm really interested in doing the program, so far I have looked at CCUSA,Camp America,BUNAC,Camp Leaders and Americamp. I'm leaning towards Camp Leaders at the moment, although I hear really good things about BUNAC. To me, Camp America and CCUSA seem pretty expensive and don't give a decent wage return so they're my last options.

In terms of experience, I'm really hoping to get some more! I'm a horserider/owner, although I have only ever ridden English and mainly do hacks with a little bit of show jumping. I've taught kids basics before, taken them on walks and taught them how to trot,walk hold reins etc although I don't know if it will be enough for the camps and I don't really have any solid references from it as it's usually just helping out a day her and there. I've done loads with arts and crafts, like photography and I can develop black and white in a dark room. I can also do things like tie dye, collages and simple batik.

The other option I was considering was the camp support programs, but I think I'd really like to work with the children and get involved with the activities more rather than cleaning toilets and working in a sweaty kitchen, but it seems like better pay and more free hours to do what you want. Plus you don't need experience with children.

My only other worry is the fact that I have my erasmus year in September 2013 and I'm worried if something went wrong with my Erasmus application I wouldn't be able to fix it if I'm in the US. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

You're right about leaning towards Camp Leaders, they are deffo the best option IMO. Don't be too sad about BUNAC- they were cost effective but had low placement rate success.

My advice to you would be to not worry too much about general work experience with kids, but rather, to focus more on skills which you could teach. There are thousands of applicants with experience of babysitting etc, but not many who could actually teach something to kids. Horse riding instructors are VERY sought after. Even though you think you don't have much experience, camps with horse riding often operate different difficulty levels, so you could teach beginners??

Camp support is not what you necessarily think it is... maybe my camp is different, but at my camp in NH, the support staff were always involved in loads of different activities with the kids when they weren't in their designated roles. We were all like one big happy family, rather than counsellors and then support staff. So it could be an option for you :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by music788
If you are placed in Texas/far away from New York (which, by the way, is unlikely!) it's likely that you will not fly to JFK like everyone else. My friend got placed in a camp just outside san fran and it was organised for her to fly directly to san fran rather than JFK. They have to do this, otherwise it wouldn't really be fair for people who are a long way away from NYC...

Oh, and P.S., whilst the camp agency won't pay for you to get back to whichever airport you flew into, camps will often help you out with this. My camp is far out from NYC (in NH) and my camp paid for everyone to fly to the nearest airport after we'd flew into JFK, so you never know!

This is all a very unlikely situation though; a huge proportion of camps are situated in New England.

Ok thanks! Do you think I should just apply for it anyway?
I'm kinda worried about doing it all on my own :s-smilie: and how much money it might cost :s-smilie: x
Reply 77
Original post by qwerty7
Ok thanks! Do you think I should just apply for it anyway?
I'm kinda worried about doing it all on my own :s-smilie: and how much money it might cost :s-smilie: x

I would! You only live once and it's an incredible experience.

I did it on my own too... you'll get a huge amount of help from your agency, and your plane to the US will likely be full of people going to camp as well and you'll make friends right away! Everyone travelling to camp is alone pretty much :smile:

As for the money... you'll have to pay your agency something around the some of £500 for flights, insurance etc, then around £100 for your visa, and £50 or so for a CRB/Police check (I think? That could have changed though). Those are rough estimations. Whilst you're at camp, you'll probably get paid around $1000. So basically, if you weren't to spend ANY of your wages, you would break even- the wages would cover the money that you spent to go to camp in the first place. But obviously, not spending wages is very unrealistic! You'll probably spend a big proportion of your wages (if not all of them) on days off and nights out.

Long story short, you'll probably need around £700/800 pounds to go to camp, and then you can live off your wages whilst you're there, so no need to take spending money on top of that really.

Do you think you can afford it still? I would highly recommend picking up a part-time job to boost your funds or something as it's definitely worth it.
Do you need 3 references?
I haven't even had much work experience all I have is school and babysitting I wouldn't be able to get a 3rd.
(edited 11 years ago)
My application has been sent to Camp Echo in New York which looks amazing, need to have a phone interview with the camp Director now, quite nervous!

Quick Reply

Latest