The Student Room Group

Irish Medical Schools?

Are there no such universities in Ireland as accepting of medical students as these universities in Eastern Europe? Even private universities in Ireland?

The language differences and such would not be so hard to bridge from the UK to Ireland?

When does the academic year begin in Ireland?
Reply 1
Original post by Jiggamanager
Are there no such universities in Ireland as accepting of medical students as these universities in Eastern Europe? Even private universities in Ireland?

The language differences and such would not be so hard to bridge from the UK to Ireland?

There are plenty of medical schools in Ireland which all teach in English. Compared to other European countries they don't charge that much but it is very competitive and living expenses are high, particularly if you are in Dublin.

Grades are the issue really. Although it no longer requires perfect points due to the introduction of the HPAT, realistically, you still need extremely high points (CAO Irish points) for your combined total. 4 A-levels are needed, A*A*A*A* preferably.

Er, there is no language difference. Legally, Irish is the first language of Ireland. In practice, you could go a long time in Ireland without hearing it.

Financially, fees are only €2000 a year, no tuition fees as that's just the registration fee. Dublin is still an expensive city though, even though it has improved a lot from what it was. You are paid for the internship in your final year, and you qualify for the grant once you are in Ireland 3 years, but that's it. Obviously working a part-time job like lots of students do is out of the question.
Reply 3
Does anyone know about graduate entry into Irish medicine? Do they still require all A*s at A level?

I have a 2.2 in Biochemistry.

The language issue at other European universities is not in the teaching of the course, it is for me in the clinical years when patients come in and you don't understand them.

:confused:
Reply 4
Does anyone know about graduate entry into Irish medicine? Do they still require all A*s at A level?

I have a 2.2 in Biochemistry.

The language issue at other European universities is not in the teaching of the course, it is for me in the clinical years when patients come in and you don't understand them.

:confused:

I don't believe 2.2. is enough for Ireland (feel free to prove me wrong otherwise). Malta seem to be your best option. But, you'll have to wait till winter as applications is now closed.

Thought about doing the gamsat?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I'd forgotten about Malta. GAMSAT is an option and I know people who have done it and gone through.

As I'm a graduate wouldn't Gamsat involve learning my entire A levels again? Do only St Georges take Gamsat?

Isn't it like if you take Gamsat next year it will be like 2015 entry?
Reply 6

Fortunately, Ireland hasn't yet given in to the commodification of medical education as some Eastern European and Italian medical schools have. As such you need to have a strong academic performance and be evaluated as having an appropriate personality and character to be admitted to a medical school there. So no, just wanting to be a doctor and being able to pay the fees isn't enough; you'll have to go to Eastern Europe for that.
Reply 7
As I'm a graduate wouldn't Gamsat involve learning my entire A levels again? Do only St Georges take Gamsat?

Reply 8
Original post by Rat_Bag
Fortunately, Ireland hasn't yet given in to the commodification of medical education as some Eastern European and Italian medical schools have. As such you need to have a strong academic performance and be evaluated as having an appropriate personality and character to be admitted to a medical school there. So no, just wanting to be a doctor and being able to pay the fees isn't enough; you'll have to go to Eastern Europe for that.

Technically for Irish medical schools all you need is very strong academics.
Reply 9
Original post by gozatron
Technically for Irish medical schools all you need is very strong academics.

Performance at interview will play a role in selection.

But the main point is that you need more than just money. Since our ex-communist friends in Eastern Europe have embraced capitalism, they have done so to a much greater extend in the case of Medical Education than in most of Western Europe. There you just need the money, hence the poor quality of many of their graduates
Reply 10
Original post by Rat_Bag
Performance at interview will play a role in selection.

But the main point is that you need more than just money. Since our ex-communist friends in Eastern Europe have embraced capitalism, they have done so to a much greater extend in the case of Medical Education than in most of Western Europe. There you just need the money, hence the poor quality of many of their graduates

There are no interviews bud...
Reply 11
I'm not sure you need just money, For somewhere popular with western students like Charles University in Prague there is an entrance test, I'm not sure about interview.

I think we underestimate the Eastern European schools.

Anyway, about GAMSAT ,as I'm a graduate wouldn't Gamsat involve learning my entire A levels again? Do only St Georges take Gamsat?

I can't see a future in the lab as a biochemist anymore. There is no enjoyment, satisfaction or progression.
Reply 12
Is it true that the Charles University entrance test is more difficult than GAMSAT?
Reply 13
Original post by 419
I don't believe 2.2. is enough for Ireland (feel free to prove me wrong otherwise). Malta seem to be your best option. But, you'll have to wait till winter as applications is now closed.

Thought about doing the gamsat?

No Irish University accepts a 2:2. Its the reason that I'm doing GEM in England.
Reply 14
I'm not sure you need just money, For somewhere popular with western students like Charles University in Prague there is an entrance test, I'm not sure about interview.

I think we underestimate the Eastern European schools.

Anyway, about GAMSAT ,as I'm a graduate wouldn't Gamsat involve learning my entire A levels again? Do only St Georges take Gamsat?

I can't see a future in the lab as a biochemist anymore. There is no enjoyment, satisfaction or progression.

SGUL and Nottingham take gamsat. They're also the only ones that'll take you with a 2.2.

No gamsat is also used for the same cycle application i.e. if you sit it on sept, you're score can be used for 2013 (and 2014) application but a caveat is that you don't know your score until november as in after you've submitted your ucas application.
Reply 15
Can someone please help me, is it necessary to put in individual module marks obtained in your degree or is your degree class enough? Surely the medical school will ask for a transcript if they want to see this?
Reply 16
So Gamsat can only be taken in September? I have been contacted by a final year student in Bucharest about a 6 year medical course there? Is it reputable?

It is starting next month only I think.
Reply 17
So Gamsat can only be taken in September? I have been contacted by a final year student in Bucharest about a 6 year medical course there? Is it reputable?

It is starting next month only I think.

In case you still need to know this, it can actually be taken in September and/or March. September's one is 'UK's' version whilst the March version is 'Ireland's' version. It doesn't matter which one you sit as either can be used to apply for ANY medical school that require GAMSAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending