The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings College London Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

hey! would love some advice on whether king's would be a good choice for me

GCSEs: 8A*'s and 3A's
AS Levels: AABC (Bio, Eng Lit, Chem, German plus an A in general studies)
UKCAT: 707.5

I was told my AS levels would ruin my chances! Any opinions (good or bad!) would really be appreciated x
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
does anyone know if when kings come to make decisions after interviews if they look at everything e.g interview preformance, gces's uckat when they decide to give u an offer or if they just look at how well you did in interview
Reply 42
AS Level: 4 A's all very high UMS
UKCAT: 762.5
GCSES: 6A*s 6A's
Predicted: 3A*'s

Any ideas on how good my chances areee?
Reply 43
Original post by blueeyedgirl
hey! would love some advice on whether king's would be a good choice for me

GCSEs: 8A*'s and 3A's
AS Levels: AABC (Bio, Eng Lit, Chem, German plus an A in general studies)
UKCAT: 707.5

I was told my AS levels would ruin my chances! Any opinions (good or bad!) would really be appreciated x

As far as I'm aware, only Cambridge see your AS grades. Only your predictions will show, which are probably 3As, right?
Considering your GCSEs and UKCAT are so good you should be fine academically, so it's down to the rest of your application.
Reply 44
I did well at GCSE (all A*s) but unfortunately I only got AABB at AS; I also got 657.5 in the UKCAT, which isn't particularly outstanding. Is it worth applying to Kings?? I really really want to go there, and my fifth choice is Biomedical Sciences at Kings too.... I hope my AS and UKCAT are good enough.... Do you think my GCSEs would balance it out a bit?
Reply 45
Hey everyone. I'm an currently a year 12 A Level student studying Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics. I achieved 6A*s, 5As and 1B at GCSE. I'm really leaning towards aiming for medicine and want to start building up my extra curriculars and work experience for med school. What type of things do King's look for in your application? I'm reading the medicine applicants threads and I feel like I don't stand a chance next to those people who have so many good extra curricular activities etc. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 46
I am* ...typo!

Reply 47
Do Kings care about short courses at GCSEs?
I have 9 1/2 A* at GCSE if you count the half, but it's always been regarded as 10A*, 1A and 1B the B is in Drama.
AS I got 4B's and a C in General Studies but I hear it doesn't count so should be fine.
I'm predicted 3A's and a B at A2, but the B prediction in physics may be going up to an A.
UKCAT I have an average of 643.
Both my reference and personal statement follow what kings want in terms of tonnes of extra curricular, 4 weeks work experience, a research project for 4 week etc. Just wondering if people think I have a good chance, becoming slightly fixated with Kings but don't want to let myself if it's not possible!
Reply 48
Original post by Naadirah21
Hey everyone. I'm an currently a year 12 A Level student studying Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics. I achieved 6A*s, 5As and 1B at GCSE. I'm really leaning towards aiming for medicine and want to start building up my extra curriculars and work experience for med school. What type of things do King's look for in your application? I'm reading the medicine applicants threads and I feel like I don't stand a chance next to those people who have so many good extra curricular activities etc. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Try looking on their website, they make it pretty obvious what they're looking for. But to summarise:
- Shadowing a doctor/ surgeon
- Work in a care home/ long term volunteering is better
- All medical schools love sport and music. To show you don't spend all day reading A level textbooks.
- King's say scholastic activities, so debating is good.
- Any other interests really, try to get a balance.
- Strong grades and UKCAT are really important obviously, so work hard this year.
Reply 49
Hi, your GCSE grades are excellent so I wouldn't worry. If you feel you need to do extra stuff, give it a go. I think as long as you can show you are passionate about what you want to do you will get there.:smile:

Can you help me?..........

I've just started my AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, physics, Religious Studies and General studies. I want to do medicine. I am studying them at a different sixth form to my secondary school, so the teachers have only known me for about 3 weeks. Today they gave me my predicted grade for chemistry and she said it was a C. I'm really worried now, I cant do medicine with a C. What can I do?:frown:
Reply 50
Original post by Pafeetus
Try looking on their website, they make it pretty obvious what they're looking for. But to summarise:
- Shadowing a doctor/ surgeon
- Work in a care home/ long term volunteering is better
- All medical schools love sport and music. To show you don't spend all day reading A level textbooks.
- King's say scholastic activities, so debating is good.
- Any other interests really, try to get a balance.
- Strong grades and UKCAT are really important obviously, so work hard this year.

Thank you!! :-)

Reply 51
Hi there!

Got 10A*s, all A's at AS level and 643 UKCAT. I am also prediced all A* at A-Level.
How much of a chance do I have getting into Kings? Other there any oter medical schools I should consider with his profile? (People have already advised Birmingham).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by haka777
Hi there!

Got 10A*s, all A's at AS level and 643 UKCAT. I am also prediced all A* at A-Level.
How much of a chance do I have getting into Kings? Other there any oter medical schools I should consider with his profile? (People have already advised Birmingham).

Your UKCAT isn't great but I think your GCSE's might balance this out a bit (presuming the rest of your application is good :smile:) And I agree that Birmingham would be a really good choice for you!
I was wondering, with 662.5 on my ukcat (vr 570, qr 750, ar 650, da 680), 9 A*s & 1A at GCSE, 4 A s at AS (ums of all above 85%) and predicted 2 A*s and 2As what are my chances like with applying to kings? :s-smilie:
Reply 54
Hey, im really unsure bout applying to kings....

Gcse 5A*, 5.5A
A-levels achieved 4A
Ukcat 707.5

Do you guys think i have a good chance of an interview? If its gonna be risky, i might just apply somewhere else :/
sorry for the hassle guys but help me out will you i didnt get in last year and want to know if im wasting my times with kings
gcses: 7a*s 1a and 1b
AS: AAAA in bio, chem, maths and geography
A levels: 3 A*s in bio chem and maths
ukcat: 730

will my gcses let me down...everyone seems to get like 10a*s here! help please
Reply 56
Original post by oli_G
Also, according the the guy the average of a successful applicant was 660 in last years cycle. Although, the way it works is that they take in all the scores and rank applicants, choosing the top quarter to interview.

Just thought I'd let you know this is wrong they only interview the top quarter of graduate entry not undergrad!
Reply 57
Hi sorry to bother everyone but I just called up Kings to find out how my GCSEs would be looked at because I have one short course GCSE but it's an A* and apparently they won't count it.
So I've gone from 9.5A* 1A and 1B at GCSE too 9A* 1B 1A I'm just wondering if this will have a large effect on my application and will it still compensate for my ukcat score of 643? Thanks and does anyone have any idea of how the Kings sliding scale works so how low can your GCSEs be to compensate a UKCAT score or how high can your GCSEs be to compensate a low UKCAT score. Also I've heard that kings look at %A* anyone have any insight into this?
Original post by NaimR
Hey I feel the same way King's is so grand it'd be an honour to be accepted :biggrin:

I don't know if I can get in though what with their sliding scale :/

Does anyone know if Kings look at AS levels and use that in their selection?

Cause I got 6A*s and 5A's and my UKCAT score was 675, would that be sufficient based on their sliding scale to be considered for interview? I also got 4A's for my AS levels, would that improve my chances of being considered for interview?

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks :smile:

Hello :smile: You're UKCAT score seems fine; I've got exactly the same score. But my friend got 630 but she has 12A*s and she still got in I think the only thing disadvantaging you are you GCSEs. But as long as you have a smashing PS/done lots of WEX you should still be offered an interview, but maybe later on. x
Original post by whatif?
Hi sorry to bother everyone but I just called up Kings to find out how my GCSEs would be looked at because I have one short course GCSE but it's an A* and apparently they won't count it.
So I've gone from 9.5A* 1A and 1B at GCSE too 9A* 1B 1A I'm just wondering if this will have a large effect on my application and will it still compensate for my ukcat score of 643? Thanks and does anyone have any idea of how the Kings sliding scale works so how low can your GCSEs be to compensate a UKCAT score or how high can your GCSEs be to compensate a low UKCAT score. Also I've heard that kings look at %A* anyone have any insight into this?

Well if they're looking at % of A*s then you stand a pretty good chance since 9/11 is fantastic. And I personally think they regard anything above 9A*s as "high-achieving"

Quick Reply

Latest