The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2013 applicants

I'm thinking of applying here. From what I've heard the admissions process is a bit of a mystery. To what extent is the questionnaire used. Also where can I find a statement about the resit policy? I know I've read it before but I can't find it, has it been stopped?

I found this: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/documents/admissions-policy-201213.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Though about applying, but the mystery admissions process put me off :P
Reply 2
Please can somebody explain the resit policy?
Subbing in to enjoy the fun.

Re: resits, why not wait for the current post results madness to die down then give the course office a ring? AFAIK, it's still "you have to have applied to us in the previous cycle and you need extenuating circumstances." Unless you mean AS resits in which case they don't care.

Edit: Apparently this is no longer strictly correct, the current resits policy is no A2 resits and only one module per AS subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Subbing in to enjoy the fun.

Re: resits, why not wait for the current post results madness to die down then give the course office a ring? AFAIK, it's still "you have to have applied to us in the previous cycle and you need extenuating circumstances." Unless you mean AS resits in which case they don't care.

I mean resits within the two years. I thought they didn't allow any resits in your A2 year but I can't find it anymore on their website so I'm wondering if they've gotten rid of it because it was silly after all.

Oh and can you give me any advice about applying there?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hippokrates
I mean resits within the two years. I thought they didn't allow any resits in your A2 year but I can't find it anymore on their website so I'm wondering if they've gotten rid of it because it was silly after all.

Oh and can you give me any advice about applying there?

From the website: "While you are studying for your AS levels, we will accept one module re-sit in each AS level subject. We do not accept re-sits of any A2 modules. Once you have achieved a grade at A2 we will not accept any further re-sits. We assume that any adverse factors that may have occurred during your A-levels, including dyslexia, ill-health or bereavement, have been applied for by your school and is reflected in your final grades. "

Do you have any specific questions?
Reply 6
From the website: "While you are studying for your AS levels, we will accept one module re-sit in each AS level subject. We do not accept re-sits of any A2 modules. Once you have achieved a grade at A2 we will not accept any further re-sits. We assume that any adverse factors that may have occurred during your A-levels, including dyslexia, ill-health or bereavement, have been applied for by your school and is reflected in your final grades. "

Do you have any specific questions?

So If I have an A in A2 maths already but I resit (within the 2 years) an A2 module to bring it up to an A* will they still consider me?

What is Nottingham actually looking for in applicants? From what I've seen they don't have a UKCAT cut off, they don't ask for really high GCSEs. So is it mainly based on PS and the questionnaire?
So If I have an A in A2 maths already but I resit (within the 2 years) an A2 module to bring it up to an A* will they still consider me?

What is Nottingham actually looking for in applicants? From what I've seen they don't have a UKCAT cut off, they don't ask for really high GCSEs. So is it mainly based on PS and the questionnaire?

Why would you bother? The offer is AAA. I'd be tempted to take the policy on face value and say they wouldn't like it, though the only way to know for sure is to phone up and ask, seeing as resitting on an A is incredibly unusual.

Nottingham like all-rounders, I take the lack of a cut off and (relatively) low GCSE requirements to mean that you can mitigate against a weakness in one area by being stronger in another. The questionnaire is a bit of a mystery; I was convinced that it didn't matter, but I know a guy whose official reason for rejection had to do with it. Whether that was just a cop out on Nottingham's part, or whether he really ballsed it up, we will never know. What I can tell you, though, is that the questionnaire is not a big deal to fill in- it takes about half an hour to do and it's not particularly obvious, from my memory of it, where you'd manage to get it wrong so long as you remember that you're playing the admissions game.
Reply 8
Why would you bother? The offer is AAA. I'd be tempted to take the policy on face value and say they wouldn't like it, though the only way to know for sure is to phone up and ask, seeing as resitting on an A is incredibly unusual.

Nottingham like all-rounders, I take the lack of a cut off and (relatively) low GCSE requirements to mean that you can mitigate against a weakness in one area by being stronger in another. The questionnaire is a bit of a mystery; I was convinced that it didn't matter, but I know a guy whose official reason for rejection had to do with it. Whether that was just a cop out on Nottingham's part, or whether he really ballsed it up, we will never know. What I can tell you, though, is that the questionnaire is not a big deal to fill in- it takes about half an hour to do and it's not particularly obvious, from my memory of it, where you'd manage to get it wrong so long as you remember that you're playing the admissions game.

Thank you :smile:

In case I don't get in this time some medical schools give you more points on your application for having A*s like Barts/ Leicester. Is the questionnaire written answer questions or multiple choice?
Thank you :smile:

In case I don't get in this time some medical schools give you more points on your application for having A*s like Barts/ Leicester. Is the questionnaire written answer questions or multiple choice?

Both. I can't tell you about it, because a)it's unfair and b)it might have changed since 2009. It really is nothing to worry about, though.
Reply 10
Both. I can't tell you about it, because a)it's unfair and b)it might have changed since 2009. It really is nothing to worry about, though.

That's understandable thank you. :smile: Would you recommend Nottingham? Is there any PBL elements to the course?
That's understandable thank you. :smile: Would you recommend Nottingham? Is there any PBL elements to the course?

There is a very minor element of PBL in year 1, about 4 sessions leading to a presentation, then that's it. The vast majority of the preclinical years are spent in lectures and sessions like dissection and labs.

I'd absolutely recommend Nottingham; it's a lovely university with a lot going on, and the city is a great place to go out. The medical course is well run and the workload in years 1 and 2 is pretty fair, IMO. Pastoral care within the uni/medical school is also really good, from personal experience.
Reply 12
Does nottingham look at individual ukcat scores or overall average?
Reply 13
Original post by astrax
Does nottingham look at individual ukcat scores or overall average?

Hey Astrax, Nottingham says, "We use the four individual scores as part of our selection for interview.".

Check out this document, it answers alot of common questions. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/documents/frequently-asked-questions-for-a100(4).pdf
Reply 14
Hey everyone. I'm just linking this to the Index as the official 2013 thread. Good luck guys! :h:
Reply 15
Just got back from my UKCAT, and this was my score
VR - 590
QR- 730
AR- 790
DA - 720

Avg - 708

See, i want to apply to Nottingham, but the 590, will it hinder my chances, seeming as indivual scores are taken into account? I've got a good PS and grades (10 A* GCSE, 4 A's, Grd 8 violin, long voluntary, D of E) but i don't want to apply when i really don't have a chance...
Reply 16
Original post by monkey101
Just got back from my UKCAT, and this was my score
VR - 590
QR- 730
AR- 790
DA - 720

Avg - 708

See, i want to apply to Nottingham, but the 590, will it hinder my chances, seeming as indivual scores are taken into account? I've got a good PS and grades (10 A* GCSE, 4 A's, Grd 8 violin, long voluntary, D of E) but i don't want to apply when i really don't have a chance...

yh I've got the same problem. I got 550 in vr and my other sections were all above 700. I dont know whether to apply!!!
Reply 17
Yeahh i think i'll email them. I'll be sure to let you know what they say! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by monkey101
Yeahh i think i'll email them. I'll be sure to let you know what they say! :smile:

Yh let me now. Thanks
Reply 19
Did my ukcat:

VR: 640
QR:750
AR:660
DA:660

would this help my nottingham application, or hinder it? (as they assess all 4 sections :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending