The Student Room Group

Got three points on my provisional license and I'm 17

Hello,

Got three points on my provisional for speeding and they also took my car, will this now send my insurance rocketing? When I do finally pass?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They generally don't care about 1 x SP30, I'd be more worried about getting another 3 points during your first 2 years after passing your test as you'll then get disqualified and have to retake your test.

EDIT: Yeah, no insurance. You're probs gonna be paying a fair amount.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Why did they take your car? It won't have just been for speeding?
No insurance I'm guessing ^^^^
Reply 4
Wouldn't no insurance be a crime?
Reply 5
Had no insurance but he said cause I've never been in trouble before he will do it for speeding but they took my car
This is the reason insurance is so high to begin with!
Your going to have to find someone with insurance on that car just to get it back.
You got one hell of a lucky break then, an IN10 would put you off the road for the next three years as insurers really do not like having to cover people who've driven with no insurance in the past. The chances are that you will not be able to find a provisional insurance policy that will cover you because, afaik, all stipulate that you must have a clean licence. After passing your test, expect to get shafted. Insurers do not like new drivers with points, one of my mates got an SP30 and his premium doubled overnight, and I'd imagine that having points from before you passed your test will load the premium even more. If you can get insurance at a sensible price then, for the love of god, don't take the piss because another three points and you will need to resit your test.
Reply 9
You are a ****ing idiot
Reply 10
How on earth did the supervising driver let you commit both offences? Or were you driving unsupervised?
That sounds like a load of **** tbh, if you get done for no insurance, thats 6 points and £200 fine minimum, so why did the office let you off for no insurance? Surely that cant be right? Your meant to get nine in total. This seems odd to me .. hmmm.
Reply 12
I had a friend who started looking for insurance when he started learning to drive; he was getting quotes for around £2k (he was driving a fairly modern car). Anyway, during the course of his learning to drive, he was caught speeding and issued with an SP30.

When he went to get new quotes, with the addition of the SP30 against his name, the company who had originally quoted the cheapest wouldn't even look at him, they said he was an 'uninsurable interest'. The few companies that would still offer him a quote were almost all over £4k. His premium, quite literally doubled in the space of 24 hours.

If you can manage without a car for the time being, until you're a bit older, it might be worth your while to wait.
Reply 13
Car insurance for 17 year olds are extremely expensive anyway, an SP30 on top of that will send it even higher.
Learning to drive: How not to do it
Reply 15
speeding in a learner car with no insurance unsupervised.. drivers like you make insurance go up for everyone. and no i doubt you will even pass your test with this attitude and i really hope you don't get on the road for the safety of everyone.
Original post by jimcatinnes
This is the reason insurance is so high to begin with!

So people not having insurance is the reason its so high? Ironically its because insurance is so high people take the risk of not having it. It pisses me off because although my insurance is fairly reasonable in price, I stand an increased chance of getting hit by an uninsured driver due to the extortionate price. I reckon a law should be passed that restricts the price of insurance for new drivers and people with clean licenses (I actually have an sp30 but still).
Reply 17
Original post by Laomedeia
So people not having insurance is the reason its so high? Ironically its because insurance is so high people take the risk of not having it. It pisses me off because although my insurance is fairly reasonable in price, I stand an increased chance of getting hit by an uninsured driver due to the extortionate price. I reckon a law should be passed that restricts the price of insurance for new drivers and people with clean licenses (I actually have an sp30 but still).

It's a vicious circle. Insurance is high enough to begin with so more young drivers are driving without it. When they get caught, their whole demographic is seen as high risk and therefore insurance increases even further.
Reply 18
Original post by benwilliamsuk
I had a friend who started looking for insurance when he started learning to drive; he was getting quotes for around £2k (he was driving a fairly modern car). Anyway, during the course of his learning to drive, he was caught speeding and issued with an SP30.

When he went to get new quotes, with the addition of the SP30 against his name, the company who had originally quoted the cheapest wouldn't even look at him, they said he was an 'uninsurable interest'. The few companies that would still offer him a quote were almost all over £4k. His premium, quite literally doubled in the space of 24 hours.

If you can manage without a car for the time being, until you're a bit older, it might be worth your while to wait.

2k is insane for provisional cover. He cant have looked very hard xD. When I was learning to drive I had access to a 2.0 litre 307 XSI Sport, faster than what most of my mates had access to at the time. I paid about 90 quid a month for Provisional cover and only needed it for several months.

A mate of mine drove his dads Audi S3 for not much more than me a month either. The insurance company I used tended to just go on the value of the car being less than 25 grand. Obv this changes when you pass your test though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Ryan_1993
2k is insane for provisional cover. He cant have looked very hard xD. When I was learning to drive I had access to a 2.0 litre 307 XSI Sport, faster than what most of my mates had access to at the time. I paid about 90 quid a month for Provisional cover and only needed it for several months.

A mate of mine drove his dads Audi S3 for not much more than me a month either. The insurance company I used tended to just go on the value of the car being less than 25 grand. Obv this changes when you pass your test though.

Yeah, I'm not sure how hard he look really - it was quite an expensive modern car though so I would imagine it would have been worth more than £25k... it was his dad's car. I can't remember exactly what, something Range Rover sized, but not a range rover...

Eitherway, he's passed his test now and is driving his VW Scirocco.. paying about £1600 a year for normal insurance :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest