The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lawz-
I couldnt really care about the liberties point. I dont think it will affect my life one iota.

What I DO care about is the cost.

I agree.
Reply 61
What information will the card hold? Name, address, date and place of birth and a biometric scan. Anything else?
Reply 62
lots and this is just to start

Personal information

* full name

* other names by which person is or has been known

* date of birth

* place of birth

* address of principal place of residence in the United Kingdom

* the address of every other place in the United Kingdom where person has a place of residence.

Identifying information

* a photograph of head and shoulders

* signature

* fingerprints

* other biometric information

Residential status

* nationality

* entitlement to remain in the United Kingdom where that entitlement derives from a grant of leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom, the terms and conditions of that leave
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4630045.stm
Reply 63
Originally Posted by Lawz-
"I couldnt really care about the liberties point. I dont think it will affect my life one iota.

What I DO care about is the cost."

*shakes head in disgust*

If you have no freedoms, you have nothing.
I would love to place SSS in Iraq with a union jack flag, so he could show everyone his freedoms. Then, an iraqi millitant could see him..... and bye bye to any freedoms he may have. Idiot.
SFC_FOREVER!
I would love to place SSS in Iraq with a union jack flag, so he could show everyone his freedoms. Then, an iraqi millitant could see him..... and bye bye to any freedoms he may have. Idiot.

What.... has that got to do with ANYTHING? He's entirely correct.

I'm not sure what's actually stored on the card - it could merely be a single number. This could then be used by whatever's swiping the card to access your record in the database - if this is the method used, they could literally add whatever they wanted to it, whenever they wanted.
Reply 66
I think the card will store name, dob and the usual stuff, but will also include biometric data such as iris and finger scans.

It would not suprise me if they threw in some RFID chips also, so they can track your where abouts....those dam chips are in everything these days, from bank notes to police badges.
Reply 67
SSS
I think the card will store name, dob and the usual stuff, but will also include biometric data such as iris and finger scans.

It would not suprise me if they threw in some RFID chips also, so they can track your where abouts....those dam chips are in everything these days, from bank notes to police badges.

Im pretty sure those chips arent in banknotes.....

Edit: Oh wait its Stransky, have you managed to escape the institution again?
Reply 68
rpotter
Im pretty sure those chips arent in banknotes.....

Go find some Euro banknotes, made after 2004 (or 2003, not sure), and put them in the microwave.

Logically, anything metal will fizz and spark...but that shouldn't happen, cos its just paper, right?

You will get a tiny hole burned out at different locations on different denominations where the RFID chip is located, because it fries as soon as it gets bombarded with microwaves, since it contains metal.

EDIT: http://www.prisonplanet.com/022904rfidtagsexplode.html

Sorry, i made i mistake, it was 2005 for Euronotes. And i just learnt that dollar bills have them now too...
Reply 69
SSS
Go find some Euro banknotes, made after 2004 (or 2003, not sure), and put them in the microwave.

Logically, anything metal will fizz and spark...but that shouldn't happen, cos its just paper, right?

You will get a tiny hole burned out at different locations on different denominations where the RFID chip is located, because it fries as soon as it gets bombarded with microwaves, since it contains metal.

Sorry, i made i mistake, it was 2005 for Euronotes. And i just learnt that dollar bills have them now too...

Errrr is there any evidence that they contain those chips other than the exploding, because that only means that they contain small amounts of metal which lots of banknotes do as they are part of the effort to prevent forgery.
Reply 70
Adam83
lots and this is just to start

Personal information

* full name

* other names by which person is or has been known

* date of birth

* place of birth

* address of principal place of residence in the United Kingdom

* the address of every other place in the United Kingdom where person has a place of residence.

Identifying information

* a photograph of head and shoulders

* signature

* fingerprints

* other biometric information

Residential status

* nationality

* entitlement to remain in the United Kingdom where that entitlement derives from a grant of leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom, the terms and conditions of that leave
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4630045.stm

So, it's a passport with fingerprints and biometric info?
Reply 71
SSS

WTF are you talking about?

The Euro, like almost every other banknote, contains a thin metallic STRIP as a security feature, not a metallic CHIP. Perhaps you're confused over the phonetics? This is a security feature not because it allows EuroPol to track the carrier's every breath, rather, because it's incredibly difficult to counterfeit.

RFID "chips" also cost a fortune. Are you honestly telling me that the cost of making these banknotes is perhaps as much as 50 times more than their face value? I'm not much of an economist, but I really think that would be financially impossible..
Reply 72
*sighs*. The establishment even SAID they would do this, its no conspiracy;

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20011219S0016

And RFID chips are not expensive at all. They require no batteries, and draw there power from radio waves used to extract the data required.

Also, if you actually LOOKED at the page i linked to before, you would see that its not the strip which has ignited, but a very small circular area, where a chip is present.

You can't deny this one, because they said looooong ago they were going to do this, because apparently it helps them track large amounts of cash in robberies etc.
SSS
*sighs*. The establishment even SAID they would do this, its no conspiracy;

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20011219S0016

And RFID chips are not expensive at all. They require no batteries, and draw there power from radio waves used to extract the data required.

Also, if you actually LOOKED at the page i linked to before, you would see that its not the strip which has ignited, but a very small circular area, where a chip is present.

You can't deny this one, because they said looooong ago they were going to do this, because apparently it helps them track large amounts of cash in robberies etc.

SSS is actually right on this one! However, having said that, if they are just normal RFID chips, they'll be no use for finding stolen money - they can only be read up to 3 foot away (as far as i know)
Reply 74
Apagg
So, it's a passport with fingerprints and biometric info?

yep, its essentially a replacement for a passport. But becasue of the database what the card contains can be altered at any time so it can store all kinds of information.

Latest