The Student Room Group

Warwick maths!!! But VERY bad AS results

I wanna go to Warwick to do maths, but I was in for a MASSIVE shock when I got my AS results today.

GCSE: 1A, 6B, 3C
AS: ABBE :frown:

I take Maths, Further Maths, English Literature and Eco.
I self-teach Further Maths.
I've self-taught AS Physics during the summer and will be completing the entire A-Level within a year, and will be joining the A2 class in September.

I'm doing a Maths based EPQ.
Have been doing my wider reading for maths.
Tutor GCSE and AS Maths.

If I'm predicted, say, A*A*Aa in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, with the addition of predicted A* in EPQ, is it possible I might recieve an offer?

I know that I can do WAYYYYYYY better than what I got for my AS'. I swear, I got incredibly unluckly. I can and will do much better.
Reply 1
Warwick give everyone an offer as long as they are predicted the grades.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by miml
Warwick give everyone an offer as long as they are predicted the grades.

What predicted grades would be the least offered for them to give an offer?
Reply 3
Whatever the standard offer on their site is.

Reply 4
I JUST GOT IN :biggrin:

And yeah, you should get an offer with that.

I got AAABC at AS and was predicted A*AA at A2 (which is lower than their standard offer) and I got an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by Tomcrease
I JUST GOT IN :biggrin:

And yeah, you should get an offer with that.

I got AAABC at AS and was predicted A*AA at A2 (which is lower than their standard offer) and I got an offer.

Congrats man.

Ah, thanks. Btw, do they specify which STEP paper to take? Or you can take any one?
Reply 6
Original post by J10
Congrats man.

Ah, thanks. Btw, do they specify which STEP paper to take? Or you can take any one?

For me it was any one. I imagine it will be the same next yet.
Reply 7
Does anybody else think I can recieve an offer from Warwick for Maths? Even with such terrible AS grades? (I can DEFINITELY do better)
Reply 8
Original post by J10
What predicted grades would be the least offered for them to give an offer?

Original post by miml
Whatever the standard offer on their site is.

It's actually even lower than that. Their policy is listed at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/faqs/#ansb1

You need to bear in mind, though that the hard part is actually meeting the offer. You might want to ask yourself if perhaps you were trying to do too much at once and perhaps by dropping some subjects you might be able to find time to work on getting the grades higher.
At AS I got ADD and now I've just got into Warwick with an A*AA even though the offer was higher so don't worry, they still consider you if you don't get the grades. If not they may still offer you a place on a similar course :smile:

Reply 10
The main thing that matters is the set of predicted grades that you are given. They make offers to anyone expecting to get A(maths) A(f. maths) B(any other subject) at A2. So, as long as your AS results won't affect the predicted grades your teachers give you it should be OK :smile:

I'm not sure that they even look at other factors, such as additional A-levels, EPQ, AS grades or personal statements, at this stage. They just make a blanket offer to everyone satisfying the above criteria.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 2^Oscar
The main thing that matters is the set of predicted grades that you are given. They make offers to anyone expecting to get A(maths) A(f. maths) B(any other subject) at A2. So, as long as your AS results won't affect the predicted grades your teachers give you it should be OK :smile:

I'm not sure that they even look at other factors, such as additional A-levels, EPQ, AS grades or personal statements, at this stage. They just make a blanket offer to everyone satisfying the above criteria.

I know now that they give out offers to anybody who is predicted AAB, but I've been so unlucky I just think that even if I'm predicted A*A*Aa and A* in EPQ I still wouldn't get an offer..
. I hope they give me an offer
Reply 12
Original post by J10
I know now that they give out offers to anybody who is predicted AAB, but I've been so unlucky I just think that even if I'm predicted A*A*Aa and A* in EPQ I still wouldn't get an offer..
. I hope they give me an offer

From what I saw last year, they gave offers out pretty easily. Go for it, you have 4 other uni places anyway
Original post by m.wilkinson1190
At AS I got ADD and now I've just got into Warwick with an A*AA even though the offer was higher so don't worry, they still consider you if you don't get the grades. If not they may still offer you a place on a similar course :smile:

If you dont mind me asking, what GCSES did you get and what course was it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest