The Student Room Group

How did everyone do in AQA Lit B?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
WOW! The passion in these replies is indicative of students who also have a passion for their subject.
I am a bewildered parent.
I also know that the subject teacher is confused by the results of this exam. The results of the entire cohort are being challenged.
I have read extensively about how the marking scheme is applied, but unlike a "right answer" Exam like Maths or Science, English requires discriminatory marking. It would appear that in times past (recent marking of same exam in different years) some markers are less than fully competant in their application of the marking scheme and inflexible if a student writes about the narrative in a way that had not been considered on the check list of the examiner. There seems to be little room for flexibility.

Thank you to those who have challenged the successful candidate in his/her high tower, but (s)he has none the less, succeeded in playing the system rather better than the entire 70+ candidature at my own child's school.

As in many other cases reported on the web over the years since the inception of this course, for no apparent reason and perhaps without REAL justification the hopes and aspirations of many of our young people are dashed by AQA. It seems the usual course of redress is to remark, or to resit.
In my child's case, a reasonable overall mark for the AS year has been acheived, but it will mean a longer and harder haul to acheive the higher grades at A2. For other students at the same examination centre, it will also act as a deterrant and for those most able students, it may also dash their university plans and challenge their self worth so they may not acheive their true potential in the academic world. :mad:
Reply 41
Original post by Groat
Actually, I am intrigued to get my script back as maybe my answer was too esoteric. I'm not always talking about myself personally here, either.

I am arguing with you because you are taking the classic: "I did well in an exam and everything I say is right". Have fun at university.

Would there be any chance of you letting us know how you get on with the remark? :smile:

And same to anyone else who has done worse this year and is getting a remark?
Reply 42
Original post by Groat
Are you all remarking? :console:

Yeah, we've filled in request forms for a remark and we're getting the scripts back. Thankfully my university took pity on me or something and let me in anyway despite missing my offer because of this. I still feel disappointed with the grade though because I worked so hard and didn't deserve a D.
Reply 43
Original post by dormiens
Would there be any chance of you letting us know how you get on with the remark? :smile:

And same to anyone else who has done worse this year and is getting a remark?

I haven't handed in the form yet, but will let you know!
Reply 44
Original post by CRIKEY12
WOW! The passion in these replies is indicative of students who also have a passion for their subject.
I am a bewildered parent.
I also know that the subject teacher is confused by the results of this exam. The results of the entire cohort are being challenged.
I have read extensively about how the marking scheme is applied, but unlike a "right answer" Exam like Maths or Science, English requires discriminatory marking. It would appear that in times past (recent marking of same exam in different years) some markers are less than fully competant in their application of the marking scheme and inflexible if a student writes about the narrative in a way that had not been considered on the check list of the examiner. There seems to be little room for flexibility.

Thank you to those who have challenged the successful candidate in his/her high tower, but (s)he has none the less, succeeded in playing the system rather better than the entire 70+ candidature at my own child's school.

As in many other cases reported on the web over the years since the inception of this course, for no apparent reason and perhaps without REAL justification the hopes and aspirations of many of our young people are dashed by AQA. It seems the usual course of redress is to remark, or to resit.
In my child's case, a reasonable overall mark for the AS year has been acheived, but it will mean a longer and harder haul to acheive the higher grades at A2. For other students at the same examination centre, it will also act as a deterrant and for those most able students, it may also dash their university plans and challenge their self worth so they may not acheive their true potential in the academic world. :mad:
Believe me, my mum knows how you're feeling. We were both in tears over my D when I've never received anything lower than an A in English. It has always been my forté and favourite subject to study. Level 7 for my SATS, A*'s in Lit and Language at GCSE and straight A's in my AS exam and in my AS and A2 coursework. To plummet that dramatically doesn't make sense to me. I mean, even if I had received a B - I would have still received a high A overall. We both feel cheated and to see so many other students raising questions about AQA's marking (especially in the LITB3 paper), it's only bolstered our scepticism. Mum's forked out £55 for a remark (which is an extortionate amount of money to pay, to be frank), so we'll see. I'm really hoping my grade does go up, not only because it will benefit me but to just prove that something's not right. I know they've applied much harsher marking this year, but this seems utterly preposterous.

If I honestly performed poorly in that paper, I will accept that and will opt to resit. The only slight concern is that they're taking Paradise Lost off off the syllabus so I'll have to learn another text. ;/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Leeshur
Believe me, my mum knows how you're feeling. We were both in tears over my D when I've never received anything lower than an A in English. It has always been my forté and favourite subject to study. Level 7 for my SATS, A*'s in Lit and Language at GCSE and straight A's in my AS exam and in my AS and A2 coursework. To plummet that dramatically doesn't make sense to me. I mean, even if I had received a B - I would have still received a high A overall. We both feel cheated and to see so many other students raising questions about AQA's marking (especially in the LITB3 paper), it's only bolstered our scepticism. Mum's forked out £55 for a remark (which is an extortionate amount of money to pay, to be frank), so we'll see. I'm really hoping my grade does go up, not only because it will benefit me but to just prove that something's not right. I know they've applied much harsher marking this year, but this seems utterly preposterous.

If I honestly performed poorly in that paper, I will accept that and will opt to resit. The only slight concern is that they're taking Paradise Lost off off the syllabus so I'll have to learn another text. ;/

£55 for a remark is definitely expensive. Especially when the original marks are available to see for the senior examiner, so there is already an element of conformational bias!
Reply 46
Original post by Groat
I haven't handed in the form yet, but will let you know!

Thanks! :h:
Reply 47
"If I honestly performed poorly in that paper, I will accept that and will opt to resit. The only slight concern is that they're taking Paradise Lost off off the syllabus so I'll have to learn another text. ;/

Is this true?

Surely AQA must allow a resit using the same texts?

Who know the answer?:confused:
Reply 48

Is this true?

Surely AQA must allow a resit using the same texts?

Who know the answer?:confused:

They won't. You'll just have to learn a new text. :s-smilie:
Reply 49
THIS WHOLE THING GETS CRAZIER BY THE MINUTE.
Have they run out of questions for Paradise Lost?
Is this the same for other texts?

Surely this IS the most ridiculous system. Were there a finite source of texts, and if one is looking at reputedly well written texts, there would soon come a time when all texts were exhausted, what then? The end of the A Levels?

Are we in fact living in a nightmare that mirrors literature so closely where the absurd has become the norm? Everyone seems so accepting of this madness, why?
How can a situation occur when during the span of a course the texts may change?
What is the purpose of this and how does everyone keep up with it?
I accept that texts may change, but NOT within the same course that is re examined?
Is there no room in life for error? Do we only strive for perfection?

No wonder the working life of an English Teacher may be becoming shorter. I wonder they do not lose the will to continue, or lose their minds in the process
Reply 50
Oh ye of little faith.
Old UMS 67
New UMS 89

A B rather than a D and an A grade overall.
Good luck to others in the remark situation.:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 51
Oh ye of little faith.
Old UMS 67
New UMS 89

Wow! Was this a priority remark? I think mine went in for a regular remark as my university accepted me anyway. Do you know how long mine will take?

Congratulations by the way. Well done! :smile: I knew there must have been something wrong.
Reply 52
The school paid for a priority remark and may encourage the others in the cohort to go for a remark. I believe the results of their small sample was an increase in grades overall. I don't think they put 10% in tho
Reply 53
:smile: Ahhh, I'm going to go to my college in September and ask about it when they're open. It's disgusting that this sort of thing can happen. You should not have had to go through this and it should have been done correctly the first time! Hoping for the grade I truly deserve.
Reply 54
It is distressing for those who are incorrectly marked. However, there is nothing malicious about the work of the examiner.
The fault lies in a system which vests SO MUCH emphasis on so few marks. What has changed from yesterday til today?
Maybe somone added up incorrectly, input the wrong figure, etc etc.
I can only say if you are sure that you did your very best, and worked your socks off, and did not "wing it" and you feel you underachieved in the marking, or something did go wrong AND you are prepared to take the chance of those marks GOING DOWN as well as up, then maybe question the result.
If though, in your heart you know that you could have done more, could have tried out more past papers and timed essays etc could have better represented what you ARE capable of, then go for a resit and apply all these things next time around.

I will be thinking about you all.
(As a concerned mum.)
Reply 55
Oh ye of little faith.
Old UMS 67
New UMS 89

Great news. So far I've seen various AQA English Literature scripts change. Some have only gone up by a couple of UMS, and others have gone up by 22 and 29 UMS! I always wonder how many students don't submit a remark with dodgy grades. :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by Groat
Great news. So far I've seen various AQA English Literature scripts change. Some have only gone up by a couple of UMS, and others have gone up by 22 and 29 UMS! I always wonder how many students don't submit a remark with dodgy grades. :s-smilie:

UMS went from 67 - 89
Raw grade 29 -42
(edited 11 years ago)
I got an A*. Really surprised but pleased. :smile:
Reply 58
UMS went from 67 - 89
Raw grade 29 -42

A friend went up 27 raw marks last year! I'm still waiting for my remark to come back.

Did you get the script back also?
Reply 59
No. I don't know if the teacher has requested the script though, which is possible. It almost seems as though one whole question was not counted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending