The Student Room Group

Wrong Grade, stay or try and convince my firm choice?

So basically I got my A level grades this morning and I got BBB which meant I didn't get in to my firm choice (Nottingham) for Mechanical Engineering. The grade requirements are AAB with an A in mathematics. My insurance however is Leicester which I got in to.

It turns out one of my papers was incorrectly marked so my my grades were bumped up to ABB with the A in maths. Is it worth phoning Nottingham to see if they'll take me despite the fact I'm out by one grade?

I'm now questioning whether I'd rather be at Nottingham or Leicester because Leicester has a smaller, more modern campus. What should I do?
Reply 1
Its worth a phone call. Least you know you did everything you can and then will not regret not phoning them later.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by formanmark
Its worth a phone call. Least you know you did everything you can and then will not regret not phoning them later.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks, I decided to give it a go but they said no. It could be worse i guess, Leicester is still a good university.
Reply 3
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
So basically I got my A level grades this morning and I got BBB which meant I didn't get in to my firm choice (Nottingham) for Mechanical Engineering. The grade requirements are AAB with an A in mathematics. My insurance however is Leicester which I got in to.

It turns out one of my papers was incorrectly marked so my my grades were bumped up to ABB with the A in maths. Is it worth phoning Nottingham to see if they'll take me despite the fact I'm out by one grade?

I'm now questioning whether I'd rather be at Nottingham or Leicester because Leicester has a smaller, more modern campus. What should I do?

I don't know why they ended up rejecting you because my friend got into Nottingham for Mechanical Engineering BEng with ABB (A in Maths) even though his offer was AAB.
Original post by Jeid1
I don't know why they ended up rejecting you because my friend got into Nottingham for Mechanical Engineering BEng with ABB (A in Maths) even though his offer was AAB.

Simple reason, because if they took every retard who missed their offer then they'd have far too many students enrolled on the course.
Original post by officelinebacker
Simple reason, because if they took every retard who missed their offer then they'd have far too many students enrolled on the course.

Not retarded if you miss your offer.

Engineering can be a popular course and so quotas may be put on to engineering from other department, (depending on the universities), requiring them to take more students.
Original post by Jeid1

I can only guess that it was because by the time they found out about my grades being bumped up they had probably used all the spaces. It's rather frustrating.
Reply 7
I can only guess that it was because by the time they found out about my grades being bumped up they had probably used all the spaces. It's rather frustrating.

At least you'll be starting in September so the fun shall begin :pierre:
Can't wait!
Original post by a10
At least you'll be starting in September so the fun shall begin :pierre:
Can't wait!

Not really feeling much excitement about it at the moment. A little bit caught up with work at the moment. What uni did you end up putting as your firm?
Reply 9
Not really feeling much excitement about it at the moment. A little bit caught up with work at the moment. What uni did you end up putting as your firm?

going to an admission day after tomorrow @ Uni Of Sussex and if its as good as i think it is then im firming it. I just can't wait to be able to say "Im a first year mechanical engineering student" and start going on placements for a year or 6 months working for cool companies will be sweet. I'm kinda bored of college now but i need that B in physics :cry2:
Original post by a10
going to an admission day after tomorrow @ Uni Of Sussex and if its as good as i think it is then im firming it. I just can't wait to be able to say "Im a first year mechanical engineering student" and start going on placements for a year or 6 months working for cool companies will be sweet. I'm kinda bored of college now but i need that B in physics :cry2:

Sussex is a great uni, let me know how it goes. I'm also looking forward to that. Even though I've done a gap year I still want to do a year in industry. It's strange to think it's just 6 and a half months away. Can't quite get my head around it. It will probably kick in when its down to the last 2 or 3 months.
Reply 11
Sussex is a great uni, let me know how it goes. I'm also looking forward to that. Even though I've done a gap year I still want to do a year in industry. It's strange to think it's just 6 and a half months away. Can't quite get my head around it. It will probably kick in when its down to the last 2 or 3 months.

Was absolutely ace man! Got taught how to do some CAD drawings (what we'll learn in 2nd year) just an introduction to the basics and they also taught us something called "finite element analysis" as a taster. The department was aswomee the labs were good (some equipment looked a little old but they are replacing it with new ones anyway) we got to see a formula 1 race car that the engineering students in the 2nd year onwards do you work in a team of mixed engineers (electrical,mechanical,computer engineers,product designers) and you build a proper f1 racing car its a competition run by IMechE and you race it. Their car was ****ing insane it looked soo professional i thought to myself "how the **** did they build that" it was that good. The campus is beautiful and it just had a really warm friendly vibe about the place it wasn't intimidating you felt like you were at home the library is AMAZING top notch quality. They have amazing links with industry including Jaguar,Nissan,Rolls Royce,GE Aviation etc i was very impressed! It will be my firm choice.
Original post by a10
Was absolutely ace man! Got taught how to do some CAD drawings (what we'll learn in 2nd year) just an introduction to the basics and they also taught us something called "finite element analysis" as a taster. The department was aswomee the labs were good (some equipment looked a little old but they are replacing it with new ones anyway) we got to see a formula 1 race car that the engineering students in the 2nd year onwards do you work in a team of mixed engineers (electrical,mechanical,computer engineers,product designers) and you build a proper f1 racing car its a competition run by IMechE and you race it. Their car was ****ing insane it looked soo professional i thought to myself "how the **** did they build that" it was that good. The campus is beautiful and it just had a really warm friendly vibe about the place it wasn't intimidating you felt like you were at home the library is AMAZING top notch quality. They have amazing links with industry including Jaguar,Nissan,Rolls Royce,GE Aviation etc i was very impressed! It will be my firm choice.

Sounds awesome, glad to hear you've decided on your firm. I know what you mean, it's called formula student. I really want to take part in it if i get a chance. Key thing now is just focus on getting your grades.

Quick Reply

Latest