The Student Room Group

Results Survival Guide: Day 5 and Counting....

Many of you are sorted or almost there now. For those of you who aren't:

I entered my Clearing Choice last week but the uni still hasn't accepted me
If Track doesn't update to show a Clearing Accept this morning, contact the uni and ask what's happening. Don't leave it.

I entered my Clearing Choice on Track like the uni told me to and I've been rejected
Contact the uni and ask why. If they don't say it was a mistake and agree to correct it at once, AND you have an email from the uni inviting you to enter the choice, AND you did it within the timescale they said, get on to UCAS as the uni should honour their offer.

I've accepted a Clearing Choice but I don't want it any more
Technically the only way out of this is to withdraw completely for this year. However, there does seem to be a surprising amount of traffic between unis, so you may be able to persuade your Clearing uni to release you back into Clearing so that you can have another look - but vacancies are reducing all the time, so this is a high risk strategy if you are determined to go to uni this year.

I am STILL waiting for my firm/insurance to make a decision about me
If you want out now, just get on to the uni and ask them to reject you today. UCAS will help you to get this done if the uni is being unhelpful/slow.

If you want to hang on in the hope that they do take you after all, a call today to remind them that you are still there and are still interested is probably worth making.

A uni made me an offer through Adjustment but nothing's appeared on my Track
Judging by some of the posts on here, some uni staff don't fully understand the process for Adjustment (ie they send the notification through; you don't do anything on Track at all). If nothing has appeared on your Track yet, ring the uni concerned TODAY (most people's Adjustment 'window' expires today) and find out what's happening.

My place was confirmed and now the uni says this was a mistake and I can't go after all
Unis shouldn't be doing this, so check you have all the paperwork and relevant email trail to hand, ring the uni first to find out what's going on, and then contact UCAS for advice.

As before, the Results Day
and Clearing FAQ threads contain information that is still relevant - see links below.

*************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE for the weekend

UCAS Helpline Opening Hours:

Saturday 18 August: 09.00-17.00
Sunday 20 August: 10.00-16.00

Many uni admissions offices will also be open, at least for Saturday morning. Check individual websites for details.

Otherwise, the advice for the weekend is pretty much the same as it was for Day 2. Use the time to visit unis if you can, and to think things through before making decisions next week.

Don't panic if something needs sorting out but it's too late to ring anyone: no-one else is going to be able to do anything either, so you won't lose out. There'll be very few issues with your uni choices or Track that can't be sorted out in a couple of phonecalls on Monday.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

OK so it's the morning after the day before. Some of you are still grappling with a Track that isn't updating when you expect/ed it to (or worse, keeps changing its mind about your status), the disappointment of not making your offer/s, and/or the hassle of getting into and out of Clearing. This thread is for you.

Do use the Results Day FAQ and Clearing threads as well, as much of the information in there continues to be relevant.

First of all, it's still important to keep your head, especially if you are making decisions about Clearing offers. Don't just jump at the first thing that comes your way, unless you are very sure that it is the right choice for you. People on here can make suggestions, provide information, and even advise but in the end it's your decision.

Problems with Track
Yesterday the UCAS system had some interesting issues - we were picking up reports from you of random changes of status or bizarre decisions appearing on Track. We were also hearing that some unis were experiencing difficulty in sending through decisions. No doubt UCAS will have been burning some midnight oil to try and resolve these problems, and we can only hope that the mopping up from yesterday doesn't take too long.

Call UCAS at once if: you haven't been able to enter a Clearing when you expected to be able to; you haven't been able to accept or decline a changed course offer; your status has changed when you didn't expect it to, especially if this means you have 'lost' your Clearing number and now can't enter a choice; you were expecting to see an Adjustment offer come up as the uni was definitely sending it through.

Call the university first if: your status hasn't changed since yesterday and a decision on one or both of your offers is outstanding; you are looking for a Clearing or Adjustment place and your status on Track is what you expect it to be.

Track is not letting me in
This has been happening quite a bit. When major updates are being done, the system will be inaccessible for a while. This does not mean that everything will be lost or that unis will change their minds about you. Just log out, go away, and do something else for a bit, and when you come back you will probably be able to get in and add that Clearing choice or accept that Changed Course offer, or see if your unis have finally made up their minds. If you are really worried that a uni will lose interest. send them an email explaining your problem, and keep them updated (but not every ten minutes!). From today onwards this should improve anyway.

My Track is still showing 'conditional' against my offer/s
If you haven't already been in touch with your uni/s, ring them TODAY to find out what's going on. It may be that a result has gone astray or that they are waiting to hear from you! So get on with it :smile:

If you have been in touch with them and are awaiting a decision, ring again today. Either you are wanting to show that you are still interested and committed, or you want them to get on with rejecting you so that you can go to your insurance/get in to Clearing. Whatever you do (unless you really don't care what happens!) don't just sit there and wait for the uni to get back to you.

NB - if this is your insurance that is still showing 'conditional' and your firm is 'unconditional', this does not apply!!!

My uni says it will make a decision 'next week' or 'in a day or two'
I personally think this is shameful, given how fast things move in Clearing. Even if you are really keen to get a place, and don't want to 'upset' them, it is worth ringing again today just to jolly them along. Remind them that Clearing places are going very quickly and you need to know where you stand. If you've decided that you just want to get on with Clearing, ring the uni up and ask them to reject you now. If they muck about, get UCAS on to them and it will get sorted out in 24 hours.

I've got a confirmed place at my insurance, but have put in for a priority re-mark to see if I can get to my firm after all
If the result of the re-mark is in your favour, and the uni is informed of this by 31 August, unis are expected to honour your place, and most will. It’s important to let both your firm and insurance unis know that you are seeking a re-mark, and keep them informed throughout.

I am getting a priority re-mark but in the meantime I'm in Clearing. What happens if I accept a Clearing offer, and then my remark comes back and I've met my original offer in time?
In this circumstance if your original choice is honouring your offer, you will be released from any Clearing offer that you might have accepted. Here's the expert:

PQ

You can accept the clearing offer officially but you MUST inform them that you are waiting on a priority remark and that if you meet your firm offer you would revert to your firm. It works the same as if you had been passed on to your insurance - the clearing or insurance uni will release you back into clearing (with UCAS help) and your firm will pick you back up again then (also with help from UCAS).

Unis tend to be a lot more responsive to people who have last minute switches because of remarks but you MUST keep both unis informed in writing and on the phone all along the way so that they know where they stand and can plan around the uncertainty.

I have Clearing offers but don't know what to choose

Depending on the deadlines you've been given, do try and get to visit the unis and see what suits you. However, unis may have much less flexibility than previously about giving you time to do this. While they don't want to see their drop-out rate spiralling out of control, getting their numbers right this year is going to be just as challenging if in a different way –as it was last year, so don't be surprised if you've been given some tight deadlines. If visiting isn't an option, make full use of the uni websites and the individual uni forums on TSR.

What if I put in a Clearing Choice and am accepted, and then another uni I'm talking to decides to make me an offer that I really want to take?
Sometimes the deadlines you will get from different universities won't sit together very comfortably, and you might be worried that if you don't enter uni A even though you are still waiting on uni B you'll miss out altogether. Strictly speaking, once your Clearing place is confirmed that's it, but it is possible for your Clearing uni to release you back into Clearing so that you can enter another choice. You will need to talk to UCAS, and your existing confirmed uni, and hope that between them they will do what's needed so that you will be able to meet your 'new' uni's deadline.

I can't find anything I want in Clearing
This year, we think that there is a good chance of new places being added to the Clearing lists as decisions about Adjustment and ‘near-misses’ come through, so it probably is worth continuing to look around until well into next week. However, if by Thursday or Friday next week you still haven’t found anything you want, it may be better just to say "OK, it's not going to be uni this year, let's see what I can find to do instead". There's little more demoralising than a succession of 'no, sorry' replies to your enquiries. If being more realistic about entry requirements or flexible about course choice doesn't get you a more positive response, then maybe it's time to call it quits and move on to thinking about a gap year and re-application. Whatever you do, don't just grasp at straws. It really isn't worth it. Dropping out a few weeks in is even more demoralising. Trust me.

I've got a Clearing offer I really want
Congratulations :biggrin: Enter the details as given to you by the uni on your Track and all should be confirmed very soon.

I'm trying to enter a Clearing choice on Track but I can't
Assuming that your UCAS status is that you are eligible for Clearing, this is likely be because the course is now closed to new Clearing applicants and the system 'knows' this so won't accept the course code as a result. Provided you have email confirmation from the uni that they have invited to enter them as a Clearing choice, start by contacting UCAS so that they can help you to get round this. If you don't have an email confirmation, contact the uni to explain your problem, and ask for advice. While you are about it, ask for that email!

If your Track is not showing you as eligible for Clearing, this will be because you either have a decision pending (from your firm and/or insurance unis, or a previously entered Clearing Choice) or a release from a confirmed place hasn't been put through yet. In those circumstances contacting the uni/s concerned is really the only way forward. Bear in mind that you are in a stronger position to insist on prompt action if it's an outstanding decision, rather than a release from your commitment, that you are waiting for.

I've entered my Clearing choice on Track but the uni hasn't responded yet
Give them a chance - the option to enter a choice only appeared on Track at 5pm last night. Normally the uni should respond within 24 hours.

A uni has made me an Adjustment offer but they're saying I need to enter the details - can't see how to do this?
You can't. Call the uni back and ask to speak to someone more senior if the call handler doesn't understand this.

My place is confirmed on Track - is there anything I need to do now?
Congratulations!

If this place is at a different from the uni you put on your Student Finance application, you will need to do a change of circumstance form. This is really important otherwise your loan could be delayed.

Otherwise, just sit back and wait for your AS12 from UCAS and that heap of paper your uni will no doubt be sending you over the next couple of weeks.

And finally.... a word for those who had a really stressful time of it yesterday, and were disappointed. You'll be amazed how often these disappointments can lead to better things, but it is what you make of the new situation that counts. There is no mileage whatever in hankering after what might have been; you need to gather yourself up and move down that different road. You may be very surprised - and pleased - to find what good things it will lead you to.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got my results yesterday and I called my firm choice uni about my decision. But they told me I need to keep refreshing the Ucas pages and the decision may be updated on Friday or Monday. I want to ask is this usual or unusual:frown:
Reply 2
I am in the same position right now.......
Same here :frown:
Reply 4
Same here. They said to me that they couldn't give me a time scale on when the decision will be made.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I called my uni to ask if I was successful they said yes, just hasnt updated on track yet.
Reply 6
Original post by Avery
I got my results yesterday and I called my firm choice uni about my decision. But they told me I need to keep refreshing the Ucas pages and the decision may be updated on Friday or Monday. I want to ask is this usual or unusual:frown:

Original post by a5a09
I am in the same position right now.......

Original post by teatimeallthetime
Same here :frown:

Original post by lizzzzie_
Same here. They said to me that they couldn't give me a time scale on when the decision will be made.

Original post by laurentommo
I called my uni to ask if I was successful they said yes, just hasnt updated on track yet.

See above, everyone!
Reply 7
Original post by lizzzzie_

jesus christ....................will the clearing system close at the end of August? What happens if the firm and insurance unis reject me on 30th Aug......
Reassuring to know that there are still others in this situation. There does not seem to be any joined up thinking within uni clearing/confirmation depts and in the mean time good placements are disappearing.:confused: Are some universities more guilty of this 'holding' than others? I am waiting for Manchester Met.
Reply 9
Original post by Minerva
See above, everyone!
:frown: I called uni for couple of times they said I need to wait and keep an eye on the Tracking system.....
(edited 11 years ago)
Minerva - forgot to say, you and the other advisors have been a god send over the past few days, - thank you. When this is over could you offer your services to UCAS then at least we know the same fiasco will not happen year on year?
Reply 11
Original post by Avery
jesus christ....................will the clearing system close at the end of August? What happens if the firm and insurance unis reject me on 30th Aug......
Clearing is open for ages yet. You can ring round some unis if you will in Clearing should your outstanding decision be 'unsuccessful' - you won't have your Clearing number but most unis will still talk to you. If you find something you'd rather have, you can ask to be rejected now so that you can enter a Clearing choice. Make sure the Clearing university really is ready to make you an offer though before burning your boats.
Reply 12
Original post by reallynearlythere
Reassuring to know that there are still others in this situation. There does not seem to be any joined up thinking within uni clearing/confirmation depts and in the mean time good placements are disappearing.:confused: Are some universities more guilty of this 'holding' than others? I am waiting for Manchester Met.
We've had reports of a number of unis taking their time this year - Bath and Edinburgh come to mind. To be fair to the unis, it is an even more complex picture this year than usual and the last place I'd want to be working this week is an admissions department :smile:

Minerva - forgot to say, you and the other advisors have been a god send over the past few days, - thank you. When this is over could you offer your services to UCAS then at least we know the same fiasco will not happen year on year?
Well thank you kindly :biggrin:

TSR takes over UCAS. Hmmmm...... there's a thought :tongue:
I have realised that one of the most frustrating things is not knowing if tracker has been updated by the uni. If I have understood things correctly the univs update approx every 4 hours but unless your own details change you don't know if this has happened. Assuming this is right can I assume that tracker will not change again until lunchtime? Manchester Met have stated that they will only use tracker to show progress even though they provide the info :angry:
Reply 14
i rang my insurance at 12.30 yesterday to release me but they told me to email their admissions my ucas no and course code i want to be released from
but i have had no reply from them what should i do as i need to accept my clearing offer by 12.30 today?

Excellent idea :smile:
And yes, thanks Minerva and the other advisors, you guys have been brilliant!
Reply 16
I have realised that one of the most frustrating things is not knowing if tracker has been updated by the uni. If I have understood things correctly the univs update approx every 4 hours but unless your own details change you don't know if this has happened. Assuming this is right can I assume that tracker will not change again until lunchtime? Manchester Met have stated that they will only use tracker to show progress even though they provide the info :angry:
They have to use Track as that is the official record. The frustration yesterday was the system wavered somewhat and unis were having difficulty getting the information through. Lets hope that the UCAS techies have been able to sort it out overnight and that things work better this morning.
So do you think it has been updated this morning and when do you think it will next happen please?
Just a quick question, if we know we have met the conditions for our offer, we can't be rejected right??
Ahh I'm getting really stressed with all this waiting! I just want my place confirmed :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by teatimeallthetime
Just a quick question, if we know we have met the conditions for our offer, we can't be rejected right??
Ahh I'm getting really stressed with all this waiting! I just want my place confirmed :frown:
No, you can't, as long as you have met the offer in every particular. If that is the case, it will sort itself out, and should do today. Keep in touch with the uni if necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending