The Student Room Group

Bad As Results, Unsure where to go next.

I just received my AS results and I got

Biology - D
Photography - E ( 5 Ums off D in both coursework and exam so total 10 ums off DD)
English Lit and Lang - B
Physics - U

My photography work was not sent off for moderation so I think it was internally marked. The teacher that did mark it made sure to make me stay in for 8 hours in my study leave spread over 2 days to get it finished. I was told that the extra work I had done was equivilant to a D. This was obviously a lie. I may have it remarked, a friend of mine was told by the teacher that his work is a grade B and he recieved a C - He is also getting his remarked.

The college I am at requires 3 D's to continue onto A2. I spoke to the head of sixth form and he said that it would be probably the best option for me to leave but said that I could possibly continue onto A2 but I would be closely monitored.

I did not apply to any other colleges because I was sure I would make the grades.

What should I do?
(edited 11 years ago)
Maybe its best to repeat the year, you would not want to carry on A2 with D's or below as that either leaves you with

A) Many resits and a really heavy work load.
B) Less resits but a lower average.
Reply 2
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Maybe its best to repeat the year, you would not want to carry on A2 with D's or below as that either leaves you with

A) Many resits and a really heavy work load.
B) Less resits but a lower average.

The college will not allow me to retake AS at their college. This might sound cliché but in biology I have two teachers, One teaches GCSE science to Set 5's (Lowest set possible) and the other is new this year. In GCSE biology I had a completely different teacher ( I had the head of biology) and recieved an A*. However the Set 5 tutor is away on maternal leave so if I did carry on it would be without her. I'm not shifting the entire blame on them but the class average is a lot lower than it is with the other set who are of equal intelligence to us.
Repeat the year :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by MajonaZ
I just received my AS results and I got

Biology - D
Photography - E ( 5 Ums off D in both coursework and exam so total 10 ums off DD)
English Lit and Lang - B
Physics - U

My photography work was not sent off for moderation so I think it was internally marked. The teacher that did mark it made sure to make me stay in for 8 hours in my study leave spread over 2 days to get it finished. I was told that the extra work I had done was equivilant to a D. This was obviously a lie. I may have it remarked, a friend of mine was told by the teacher that his work is a grade B and he recieved a C - He is also getting his remarked.

The college I am at requires 3 D's to continue onto A2. I spoke to the head of sixth form and he said that it would be probably the best option for me to leave but said that I could possibly continue onto A2 but I would be closely monitored.

I did not apply to any other colleges because I was sure I would make the grades.

What should I do?
One of my sons was in a very similar situation after the first year of AS. He had an A, E, U. Disaster! He realised that however hard he worked he was not going to ever pull in an A or anything like it in the two poor subjects. Basically he had chosen the wrong AS's. He thought about what he had proved to be good at and chose three new subjects instead, carrying on to A2 with the one he HAD got an A in. This meant working at 4 A levels for the next year. He then stayed on an extra year and completed the next three. He got A*'s and A's across the board.

Its worth thinking whether a change of subjects and an extra year would work like this for you. Sometimes it just doesn't work for some subjects that you were good at at GCSE when it gets to A level. It looks like you are very strong in English for instance (well done!!) and Biology could easily pull up to a much better grade at A2 level if you are on a high D.

What would you like to do in the end after A levels, do you have an idea? If its a visual arts subject then the actual grades you obtain is much less important than getting together a good portfolio to get onto a foundation art course.

Your college sounds really unsupportive and crap to be honest. If there are other good colleges in the area I'd look at going to those. People literally enrol the day before a course starts so you're never too late. Just explain that you gained a really good grade in English but think you chose some of the wrong subjects at AS level and were not really happy at your other college. Of course your present college may also let you stay on if you change courses but with their attitude it may be best not to rely on them.

Don't worry, it will all get sorted out in the end.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending