The Student Room Group

Exeter Medical School Applicants 2013

*****THOSE WITH OFFERS JOING THIS GROUP*****

-https://www.facebook.com/groups/319549081490503/-
-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/319549081490503/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/319549081490503/

*************************************************************************************************
Thought I'd start a thread as none are up for this uni! Results are in so who's applying to exeter?!
Any fellow gap year applicants (4 rejections last year) applying? Discuss anything here! Good luck in your applications!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feel free to ask about any aspect of the course, location, teaching hospitals or social life. I am going to be going into my fourth year so I will be able to answer any of your questions.

Here is some information about the course.

About BMBS @ Exeter (Peninsula)

BMBS Programme
•Fully integrated (100 per cent integrated)
•Community-based programme (25 - 49 per cent of curriculum)
•Problem-based (75 - 99 per cent of curriculum used for student-activating learning and teaching methods)

Number of years of the programme which include clinical training: 5
Clinical training is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

Number of years of the programme which include time with real patients: 5
Time with patients is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

BMBS Course Overview

Exeter (Peninsula) Medical School’s approach to medical education is both innovative and progressive, with a strong focus on independent learning and innovative teaching methods. Learning at Exeter is primarily structured around fortnightly case units which underpin and springboard learning. Problem Based Learning (PBL) and Life Sciences Resource Centre (LSRC) sessions are the main tools which support the case units and facilitate learning. These are then integrated with clinical skills sessions, community placements and jigsaw sessions which help to develop clinical reasoning and functional medical knowledge.

Problem Based Learning

Problem Based Learning is a concept which has evolved a great deal since the 1980s when it was first introduced into UK Medical curriculum. It is now far more structured than it used to be.

The main misconception among applicants and some students is that PBL is a teaching method. This is not true.

- PBL is a tool used alongside other teaching methods to increase engagement with the content being learnt and enhance retention. It is not a stand alone tool. Even at the most PBL oriented schools (e.g - Manchester/Exeter/Plymouth etc.) it only makes up less than 30% of teaching time, the rest is more traditional large and small group didactic and interactive teaching.

PBL as a Teaching Method?

PBL on its own is useless.

It cannot be a standalone method for knowledge acquisition/teaching at the Pre-clinical level. Therefore, now no medical course uses PBL on its own, it is always complimented with other teaching methods.

Even at medical schools which have a highly PBL-based curriculum (e.g Manchester, Exeter, Plymouth, HYMS, UEA), it is not used on its own. A variety of other learning tools are also used in conjunction with PBL, i.e seminars, large group didactic teaching, small/large group interactive teaching and of course self-directed study.

Also the types of PBL used currently across the UK are a far cry from the original PBL models originally implemented. Originally PBL was intended to be a solely student oriented unstructured activity where students worked together through a series of clinical problems.

This is not the case now, PBL is now far more structured with clinicians facilitating the sessions, students are provided with a more structured study guide and a study guide/syllabus of the basic science content which should covered by lectures/seminars, tutorials and in self-study is available.

Is PBL and Advantage or a Disadvantage?

Within a format as described above and a well functioning group, PBL works fantastically well. Even within PBL groups which are awful with poor facilitation the other aspects of so called PBL-based courses provide a net to prevent a lack of learning.

The main disadvantage of PBL courses is that people can fall through the net, and easily get through (year 1 and 2) without learning a lot of the basics.

The Future of PBL?

This does not mean that PBL based courses are the way forward. However, the benefits PBL provides students in terms of team dynamics, adaptability, communications skills cannot be denied and not to mention the ability to find, select and use appropriate resources to acquire medical knowledge (pre-clinical and clinical) whilst evaluating the validity of those resources. (Wikipedia has its use but its is not an ideal resource and is rarely used as a standalone resource but merely a starting point)

For these reasons there has recently been an increase in structured small group learning across the majority of all UK medical schools, all you need to do is look at the new/updated course structures several medical schools have been implementing over the last few years. (UCL and Cardiff spring to mind)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by carcinoma
I wondered when one of these would turn up.

Feel free to ask about any aspect of the course, location, teaching hospitals or social life. I am about to begin my first clinical year (3rd year) so I will be able to answer any of your questions.

Here is some information about the course.

By any chance do you know how heavily they look at work experience and PS? I have the grades in hand this year so really want to make a PS that is tailored to the university so i can finally get a place. Exeter is such a nice place :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Doctor.
By any chance do you know how heavily they look at work experience and PS? I have the grades in hand this year so really want to make a PS that is tailored to the university so i can finally get a place. Exeter is such a nice place :smile:

since exeter and plymouth will use the same process as Peninsula this year, they don't really care much about your personal statement. Aslong as your grades meet the A*AA-AAA from what I remember reading, even your ukcat is disregarded and you are pretty much guaranteed an interview.

As a side note, this year the UKCAT cut off for PMS was 642.5 with cut offs in specific sub sections. So if they were to consider it, it'll be around that mark anyway. Goodluck!
Reply 4
Original post by hopes
since exeter and plymouth will use the same process as Peninsula this year, they don't really care much about your personal statement. Aslong as your grades meet the A*AA-AAA from what I remember reading, even your ukcat is disregarded and you are pretty much guaranteed an interview.

As a side note, this year the UKCAT cut off for PMS was 642.5 with cut offs in specific sub sections. So if they were to consider it, it'll be around that mark anyway. Goodluck!

Woah that's pretty awesome! Hopefully they will disregard the UKCAT (I am particularly weak on it). I've tried emailing Exeter but still got no response yet :frown: Jjust waiting I guess :/
Original post by hopes
since exeter and plymouth will use the same process as Peninsula this year, they don't really care much about your personal statement. Aslong as your grades meet the A*AA-AAA from what I remember reading, even your ukcat is disregarded and you are pretty much guaranteed an interview. As a side note, this year the UKCAT cut off for PMS was 642.5 with cut offs in specific sub sections. So if they were to consider it, it'll be around that mark anyway. Goodluck!

From the Peninsula admissions team... "As a guideline only: for 2012 entry the threshold was an overall score of 2570. The section scores were: VR: 530, QR: 570, AR: 560 and DA: 570."

Good luck to any other applicants. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by HarryMWilliams
From the Peninsula admissions team... "As a guideline only: for 2012 entry the threshold was an overall score of 2570. The section scores were: VR: 530, QR: 570, AR: 560 and DA: 570."

Good luck to any other applicants. :smile:

But that's just a threshold? Exeter have said they're not using it as a cut off, just as a guide of two candidates are very similar after interview. I'm not too sure now lol :tongue:. I'll have a look tomorrow morning :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Nevermind think I'm thinking of the wrong uni :frown:. I do t do too well in the UKCAT is the problem. Should I email them, asking about how much weight they put in each thing...PS, UKCAT, grades and referance?

Reply 8
Original post by Doctor.

Based on Previous PCMD application cycles, there is little weight on the Personal Statement. However, IIRC it is read.

Your personal statement should be largely based on your Work Experience/Volunteering. It should be a reflective text based on those experiences which portrays to the reader what you have learnt and how this will make you a better applicants/medical student in the future.

Of course, it also needs to include what makes you a well rounded person.
Reply 9
Original post by carcinoma
Based on Previous PCMD application cycles, there is little weight on the Personal Statement. However, IIRC it is read.

Your personal statement should be largely based on your Work Experience/Volunteering. It should be a reflective text based on those experiences which portrays to the reader what you have learnt and how this will make you a better applicants/medical student in the future.

Of course, it also needs to include what makes you a well rounded person.

Oh wow thank you for all that! Really do appreciate it :smile:
Reply 10
hey, does the exeter website have any sort of admissions policy or run through of their admission process because all I've found so far is pretty vague in terms of what they want from the UKCAT, GCSE's etc? x
Original post by madimoment
hey, does the exeter website have any sort of admissions policy or run through of their admission process because all I've found so far is pretty vague in terms of what they want from the UKCAT, GCSE's etc? x

They are following the same admissions process as Peninsula did last (this) year. So GCSE's aren't too looked at, if at all and there is a cut-off for your overall UKCAT score with individual cut-offs in the sub-tests.

Take a look... http://www.pcmd.ac.uk/medicine.php and check Resource Toolkit. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by HarryMWilliams
They are following the same admissions process as Peninsula did last (this) year. So GCSE's aren't too looked at, if at all and there is a cut-off for your overall UKCAT score with individual cut-offs in the sub-tests.

Take a look... http://www.pcmd.ac.uk/medicine.php and check Resource Toolkit. :smile:

Here is the Selection and Admissions Technical Manual for 2011/12 - Which will essentially be the same for 2013 entry. https://wombat.pcmd.ac.uk/document_manager/documents/files/registry/Selection__Admissions_Technical_Manual_2011-12.pdf

http://www.pcmd.ac.uk/admissions_bmbs.php then Admissions Policy.

But to sumarise

GCE A level
The typical offer is A*AA AAA at GCE A Level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics. A fourth subject must be achieved at a minimum of grade C at AS Level. If Biology is not offered at A Level, it must be achieved at a minimum of grade C at AS Level. General Studies at A/AS Level is not included within any offer.

GCSEs
Applicants need to achieve 7 GCSE passes at grades A-C which must include English Language, Mathematics and either GCSE Single and Additional Science, GCSE Extended Science or GCSE Biology.

UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT)
As part of our commitment to a fair and transparent admissions process, PCMD uses the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) in order to make more informed choices from amongst the many highly qualified applicants who apply for a place on the BM,BS programme. UKCAT test results will be used, alongside the academic information contained on your UCAS form to select direct school leavers for interview. You will be required to meet a minimum standard in each of the four subtests, plus meet an overall target score which is set and reviewed annually by the Admissions Advisory Panel.
Please Note: If you are re-applying for a second year with achieved grades, you will need to register and complete a new UKCAT test as part of your application.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Has anyone taken the UKCAT yet? :smile:

Reply 14
Thank you both! and I took my UKCAT yesterday :smile:
Reply 15
Thank you both! and I took my UKCAT yesterday :smile:

Oh how did you do? :smile:

Reply 16
Original post by Doctor.
Oh how did you do? :smile:

i got a 670 average :smile:

all the links don't mention the personal statement anywhere... does this mean they don't look at them or they just aren't heavily weighted? x
Reply 17

all the links don't mention the personal statement anywhere... does this mean they don't look at them or they just aren't heavily weighted? x

Woah well done! Any tips for me? :h:

I don't think they consider PS much really! Well maybe after interview, but getting the interview... Don't think so.

Reply 18
Original post by Doctor.
Woah well done! Any tips for me? :h:

I don't think they consider PS much really! Well maybe after interview, but getting the interview... Don't think so.

ermmmm... work out what you could work on the most then practice practice practice! my worst was QR because i wasnt good with the calculator so i did some random mental maths exercises to speed things up.

Good score! Well done. :smile:

I dont think personal statements are really looked at until you get to interview stage, although again I'm not too sure even at that point.

Quick Reply