The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've never had them knock my door but had their spam through my door for years. I wouldn't be very polite if they did and I've never paid for a licence.

If BBC don't have advertising to fund their paedophile ring I don't see why I should pay for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
i have been persecuted by these clowns for many years ( during which i have never owned or watched TV on the premises ). if they can somehow prove that i have done something which i have not done then good luck to them. i object to paying large amounts of money to a nest of paedophiles for third rate programming.
Original post by mfaxford

As for allowing them entry you only have to let them in if they have a warrant from the courts (at which point they'll probably have the police with them). To get a warrant they'de need to have some evidence you're watching live tv without a license.

Like the fantasy 'TV Detector Vans' they pretended to have for decades, scaring many an old age pensioner!
Reply 63
They legally can't search your house without a warrant.

All the letters they send are just a ruse to scare vulnerable/gullible people into buying a TV license even if they don't have one. They try to overcomplicate things to make it seem like they're a big and terrifying group when in reality they can't do much.

Last time they came to our flat and demanded to come in we told them to **** off and we didn't hear from them again.
Reply 64
dnt pay it
Reply 65
Original post by SpermOnAMission
The last time they knocked I told them I was revoking their implied right to access and the guy got really angry. Then they refused to listen to that so they come and knocked again.

The second time they knocked I opened the door straight away and looked back into the main room and shouted 'please grab daddy's shotgun' and the TV license man run away and fell over the hedge with his clipboard in the garden. I couldn't stop laughing about it all day and 2 of my flatmates were up in one of the bedroom windows watching it. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

The best thing is I dont have a child or a shotgun. I was just bluffing to scare the guy because he ignored my request and they kept turning up knocking which is basically harassment.

He then come back with a warrant and found I didn't have a television anyway. Sucks to be this guy.

:rofl:

That's awesome I wish you'd have filmed it. You didn't have to let them in because they had that warrant BTW. It's a civil warrant and to enter a property they need a criminal warrant.

It gets complicated and even some coppers miss it so you'd have to point it out if they are called.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by heidigirl
I just had someone from TV licensing knock on my door. I wouldn't have answered it if I'd known it was them to be honest. I refuse to deal with them out of principle; whilst their threatening letters are amusing, I find it despicable that they treat people as guilty until proving innocent and try and threaten and confuse people into buying a TV license they may not need.

I always reckoned I'd just tell them to go away, but he didn't reveal he was from TV licensing until after he'd asked me if I lived there (which is a weird thing to ask someone who's just answered the door, isn't it?) and it caught me off guard and I just stood there awkwardly saying I didn't want him to come in, while he kept acting as if it was quite reasonable to want to walk around my home to make sure I don't have a TV. He was starting to make me feel a bit silly for not wanting him to come in. :redface:

Anyone else had visits from TV licensing? What did you say/do to get them to leave?

You dont have to pay for it if you dont stream any current playing programs.
My cousin uses netflix and lovefilm as he doesnt watch daytime tv.
Reply 67
Yeah, had TV licensing try and harrass me.

I decided to pay for 3 months, but I'm going to cancel it afterwards, **** that ****.
Wrong. The law only requires you to have a tv licence if you WATCH tv, and only if you do it LIVE, i.e. as it is broadcasted. Say watching yesterdays films from iplayer does not count.
Say you do watch Live TV without a license in halls at university, can they pinpoint exactly which person/room is watching it?
Reply 70
Original post by Joshale
Say you do watch Live TV without a license in halls at university, can they pinpoint exactly which person/room is watching it?

Say you shoplift in a store without CCTV, can they still monitor it?

Watching live TV without a licence is breaking the law.
Reply 71
Original post by Joshale

Most halls tend to ban the company that checks from their grounds anyway. You may get a latter but they are sent to 99% of places without a TV licence.

But to answer your questions nope, they can only proof it by seeing you watching live TV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue

I never said I currently do it, or would do it. Was merely a question
Reply 74
Original post by Joshale
I never said I currently do it, or would do it. Was merely a question

Seemed like a loaded question.
Original post by Reue

What a pointless comment
Reply 76
Original post by manchesterunited15
What a pointless comment

What a pointless observation :smile:

As I said; It seemed like a very loaded question.
Original post by Reue
What a pointless observation :smile:

As I said; It seemed like a very loaded question.

If someone mentions weed to you do you say "possessing marijuana is against the law". He knows, there's no need to say.
Reply 78
Original post by manchesterunited15
If someone mentions weed to you do you say "possessing marijuana is against the law". He knows, there's no need to say.

If someone asks about the chances of getting caught with it, Yes.
Original post by Reue
If someone asks about the chances of getting caught with it, Yes.

But he already knows it's illegal, and therefore there is a chance.

Latest

Trending

Trending