The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Leodis and/or James Baillie seems to be what you're looking for in terms of the above factors (apart from maybe price).
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
cheers... any one got any info on lupton ,oxley or bodington?wot are they like socially? and how far away are they? thanks xx
Bodington is furthest away but has over 1000 people so very sociable. It's known for being so.

Oxley is next furthest, but not very sociable in comparison. On the other hand, it's cheap for ensuite and internet access, and in a really pretty location.

Lupton is in Headingley so better for the shops, but for social stuff I haven't heard it being boasted about.
Reply 4
hmmm... i think bodington is sounding the best...wots the area its in like? is it in headingley?
It's a few miles away from the main Headingley area with all the bars/shops, like a 10 minute bus journey. That's the main bad thing about it, but since it's the biggest Leeds accomodation, they must be doing something right.. it also has its own bus, the 95, which is really regular and runs till late.
Reply 6
lupton is great just a bit far out, jbp you should avoid mainly because of the price. dev is ok but the stereotypes are true. i'd go to leodis or saint marks i think if i could start again. o but JBP does have incredible blue sofas which i mention every time i come in this damn, um 'room'. haha.
Reply 7
hmm i gotta check out these amazing blue sofas!grrr trouble is wit bod i dnt wanna move there cuz its cheap n end up spending lots money on transport....i mite as wel pay 4 sumwhere everything is in walkin distance....
Reply 8
i def would go for the walking distance option, although saying that it does get incredibly monotonous walking down the one straight road from halls to uni to town - it makes the city seem claustrophobically linear. maybe it would bo a good idea to venture out to the outskirts a bit. asdas near bodington too, which is definitly a massive plus point.
Reply 9
if you want to save money dont go to jbp, go to lupton. everyone ive met there has great friendly flats and parties. lots and lots of parties.
Reply 10
ya know what it partly depends on? how far you think walking distance is! I walk most days from lupton to uni but other people wouldn't dream of it and get the bus all the time haha
go to lupton, its cheap and afterall, all you really need is a bed, kitchen and bathroom! (and internet if you're me!) The rest is up to you, how sociable a place is depends on you!
ive applied to oxley. the distance is a bit of a bummer but my boyf stopped there in his first yr and swears by it. he made loadsa friends compared to people he knows who stopped in CD and even Boddington. but then again i suppose that was years ago... lol. i think with oxley and bod ppl tend to bond over the kinda isolated feeling! ah who knows!xx
Reply 12
No one ever applies to monty b! its the same distance as leodis, and its cheaper and just fine, well its done me fine! x
Reply 13
hmmm m.b looks a bit quiet....im thinking lupton looks pretty good at the mo
I can't find my goddam number..........
Reply 15
This was some info I did from a presentation a while back:

Look at the facilities in each room (? wash basin, ensuit)
How would you feel about sharing a room (cheaper!)
On the campus (near to lectures/tutorials/city centre) vs away from campus (not at uni *all* of the time, good community, maybe only 20 mins from uni, more independance, nearer to pubs)
Would you have to get a bus into uni/how long will it take?
Contemporary (ie new) vs traditional

Different residences have different facilities:
Internet access
Launderettes
Parking spaces
Squash/tennis courts
Pool tables
Common room (?Sky tv)
Shops
Music practice rooms
Computer clusters
BAR!!

Is there a Hall committee (JCR - junior common room)?
Organises hall/flat activities - balls, parties, quizes etc.
Music society
Performance society
Balls
Trips e.g. Alton Towers
Provide facilities e.g. Sky TV, pool room, shop
Sports teams

Flats vs. Halls
Flats (self-catered)
Own kitchen
Sharing one flat with between 4 and 10 people
Arrghh I can’t cook!
More independent (can eat whenever)
Can come and go as please
40 week contract (theerfore can leave stuff there over holidays)
Pay for bills (ie only pay for what use)
On average: cheaper

Halls (catered)
Meals (breakfast and evening meal) provided
Some provide small kitchen for snacks
Restricted by meal times (ie have to be back at a certain time)
How nice is the food? - especially if picky or have a special diet
30 week contract (theerfore have to move out during holidays - annoying!)
No bills (everything's averaged therefore may pay more/less than use)
Cost: on average more expensive

Some accomodation caters for special needs:
Diet
Disability
Jewish house
Students with families
Mature students
Postgraduates
International students

To find out more
www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation
Ask students!
Reply 16
What are the devonshire stereotypes like? I really wanna apply there but i don't think I could stand it if it was full of Rahs
WAMS, that's a really useful checklist. Can I just update you on a few of the things that have changed over the last couple of years:

Shared rooms - none (for people getting a normal offer) in 06/07. Unless someone contacts us to say that they desperately want to share and have someone (friend, sister etc) to share with, in which case we'll see what we can do. And some people coming through clearing may have to share for a few weeks.

Bills in self-catered accommodation - gas and electricity now included in the rent by popular demand (you know up front what you're paying and there's no squabbles between flatmates about people using more than others)

Contract length in catered - now 39 weeks (covers Xmas and Easter) at Ellerslie, Lyddon and Charlie Mo. Still 31 weeks at Bod and Dev.

I'm sure everyone will find your list really helpful in making a decision. The other thing is that anyone who can should try and get here for the Viewing Day on 6 May, more details on the website in the next couple of weeks.
Reply 18
I really wanna apply to Lupton but its quite far away and seeing as i'll be having 9am lectures....ugh. I like montague burton but is it true theres not much of a social atmosphere there?
Reply 19
accomoffice
WAMS, that's a really useful checklist. Can I just update you on a few of the things that have changed over the last couple of years

Thanks accom office! It was 5 years ago that I was in first year!!:rolleyes:

It's execllent that university staff get on these boards - you can get to a lot more people that way and it'll maybe it'll reduce the amaount of phone calls and emails!

If you want to use (and/or adapt) the checklist and put it on the accomodation website you're welcome to it.

I would recommend the viewing day... I couldn't go to mine and had to go on my own visit on a bank holiday, but there were no students around and could only look from the outside.

Latest