The Student Room Group

Failing 2nd year but in different circumstances! HELP

Hey people! Ok, basically I failed three modules out of the 7 I did in my second year. My retakes are in a couple of days but I wanted to redo the year so I could gain better knowledge on the modules and come 3rd year would be totally in a better position of understanding my course better.

However, I rang up my uni yesterday and explained my situation and she said that I am not able to redo the modules since I am using up all 60 of the resit credits! 2 modules = 15 credits each and other = 30 credit. She said my only option is to pass them, now I am really worried because if I don't they won't allow me to progress to 3rd year and instead will leave uni this year with a Diploma from higher education and not be able to get my Honours Degree!

The other 4 modules I passed I received four 2.1's in and also got a 2.1 first year without any resits, so I don't see the problem with them allowing me to just redo it again?! I'm scared i'm not going to pass and really want to finish my honours degree. How can I overcome this???

Please HELP!!!
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by uni_student123
Anyone?

Unfortunately if that's their system then they are unlikely to budge. It sounds as if you are a very able student. Are the failed units in a particularly difficult area for you or have you been experiencing illness or any other extenuating circumstances????

Hug,

:smile:
Reply 3
Yeah, pretty harsh system since others have had the chance to retake though :frown: Thank you, I've done well up until this point! I must admit I found areas hard but before I went into the exam I had grades of 74% and 67% before I failed, I just completely messed up the exams! Also I don't want to bring personal issues into this, I mean I've been travelling back and forth from uni because my mom is in a lot of financial difficulty and she was constantly depressed therefore having an impact on me, but I didn't want to feel like that was an excuse so haven't filled out the mitigating circumstances form.. I'll seriously consider doing it though if it means not progressing to year 3 or retaking year 2.. but will it be too late?!

Thank you for your help!
Reply 4
Anyone with any similar experience or knowledge on the matter please get in touch! Thanks
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
I do not see how bumping will help

As has been said ... if that is their system then you are stuck

Why did you only just ring ... please say that you have revised for these retakes
Reply 7
Sorry about the bumping, just could really do with some help, guidance, advice etc!

To be honest, I don't know why I only just rang, that's my fault! I was just putting it off and consequently has put me off in a bad position!

No I didn't revise for them because I thought I was able to defer them having previously rang someone else at the uni so now I'm in a tight situation!
Reply 8
Sorry about the bumping, just could really do with some help, guidance, advice etc!

To be honest, I don't know why I only just rang, that's my fault! I was just putting it off and consequently has put me off in a bad position!

No I didn't revise for them because I thought I was able to defer them having previously rang someone else at the uni so now I'm in a tight situation!

Its a really busy day today on TSR so sorry haven't been back to you for a while. I know how worried you are. Can you get to talk to your tutor? You do have mitigating circumstances here and though you are reluctant to put this forward I think you should. They can't give you any leeway at all unless they know the strain you have been under due to family circumstances.

Don't be proud about this. Cry... make sure you get over just how tough this has been and how you didn't even realise the system as you have been so distracted and worried, unable to sleep etc

Basically its time to ask outright for help IMHO.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by catoswyn
Its a really busy day today on TSR so sorry haven't been back to you for a while. I know how worried you are. Can you get to talk to your tutor? You do have mitigating circumstances here and though you are reluctant to put this forward I think you should. They can't give you any leeway at all unless they know the strain you have been under due to family circumstances.

Don't be proud about this. Cry... make sure you get over just how tough this has been and how you didn't even realise the system as you have been so distracted and worried, unable to sleep etc

Basically its time to ask outright for help IMHO.

It's fine lol! I've emailed my personal tutor twice but she hasn't replied back, probably still on her holidays.

That's the thing, I've always tried to be strong and go through the process normally. However, I honestly have to agree with you because I don't think there is any alternative! I will have to book a meeting with one of the programme leaders and discuss my situation. Is it a good idea to fill out the mitigating circumstances form, get a doctors note and also write a letter to let them know of my situation? What do you reckon, or should I not write a letter and explain it to them myself in person? I just really really hope they give me a second chance, I'm a hard-worker and it's not like I didn't attend class or I received poor results, just a couple of slip-ups!

Seriously, thanks for your help and support! Means a lot :smile:
Right, I've explained my situation and the doctor has provided a medical note for me. However, I have emailed my personal tutor who is also my programme leader to book an appointment with but she is still on her holiday with my exam's starting monday. I guess I will have to go to the exams and try my best but would still like to redo the year! How should I come about this with my personal tutor? Any suggestions peeps?
Reply 11
Right, I've explained my situation and the doctor has provided a medical note for me. However, I have emailed my personal tutor who is also my programme leader to book an appointment with but she is still on her holiday with my exam's starting monday. I guess I will have to go to the exams and try my best but would still like to redo the year! How should I come about this with my personal tutor? Any suggestions peeps?

Arghhh... I missed yesterday's reply and questions because for some reason the thing that shows you have a reply just isn't working on my account. Anyway, well done for getting the ball rolling, that's great about the doctor's note. as regards yesterday's questions... yes, make it as official as possible and put it all in writing to as many people as needed.

Its terrible you can't contact anyone. Do you have to sit the exam if you're ill? Worse comes to worse you now have a note immediately prior to these re-takes showing you were ill at the time of re-taking them.

Go see someone at student services when you get back... a counsellor, an advocate, someone like that. Your aim now is to get things on record and get support for your position.

I'd just be honest with your tutor. Tell her the situation and ask outright about re-taking the whole year. You are entitled to four years funding altogether and so technically can do this.. however as Student finances have paid already for the second year contact them and check the position first... You may have to also plead extenuating circumstances with them.

If you can't negotiate a whole year then negotiate a progression to the third year with re-takes in the units at a date that suits you much better.

Good luck!!!

Original post by catoswyn
Arghhh... I missed yesterday's reply and questions because for some reason the thing that shows you have a reply just isn't working on my account. Anyway, well done for getting the ball rolling, that's great about the doctor's note. as regards yesterday's questions... yes, make it as official as possible and put it all in writing to as many people as needed.

Its terrible you can't contact anyone. Do you have to sit the exam if you're ill? Worse comes to worse you now have a note immediately prior to these re-takes showing you were ill at the time of re-taking them.

Go see someone at student services when you get back... a counsellor, an advocate, someone like that. Your aim now is to get things on record and get support for your position.

I'd just be honest with your tutor. Tell her the situation and ask outright about re-taking the whole year. You are entitled to four years funding altogether and so technically can do this.. however as Student finances have paid already for the second year contact them and check the position first... You may have to also plead extenuating circumstances with them.

If you can't negotiate a whole year then negotiate a progression to the third year with re-takes in the units at a date that suits you much better.

Good luck!!!

Don't worry about it, i'm late myself, too busy trying to revise lol! :smile: Yeah i'm glad too, I quickly needed to get something sorted for the worst-case scenario so at least I have some evidence. I'm not sure about taking the exam whilst ill but just in case I'm going to go to them, cannot risk losing this degree!

Yeah that's a good idea, I'll get on the case asap and try and get it as official as possible. I'm going to be completely honest with my tutor so she has a clear understanding of everything and hopefully she understands. Yeah I was aware of the student finance funding for four years, so hopefully they should be fine with it also!

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending