The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS reputation and experiences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mackers_ire
I am not an SOAS student, although I will be one next year (deferred unconditional entry). Hannah is correct that most London unis have a large international student population, although I believe SOAS toone of the highest numbers (in terms of percentages rather than total numbers)

That's kind of put me off tbh

If your a mature student, is it harder to get in. I will be 22 when i go, basically after i left school i worked as i didn't really want to go to uni.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by boateng
That's kind of put me off tbh

If your a mature student, is it harder to get in. I will be 22 when i go, basically after i left school i worked as i didn't really want to go to uni.

I'd say SOAS is easier to enter as a mture student with weak grades IF you show passion and dedication to your intended subjects, and write a good personal statement.

If a large international student population puts you off then I'd agree with the other poster here: London unis will not suit you :smile:
Reply 42
I'd say SOAS is easier to enter as a mture student with weak grades IF you show passion and dedication to your intended subjects, and write a good personal statement.

If a large international student population puts you off then I'd agree with the other poster here: London unis will not suit you :smile:

So i am predicted AAB/AAA

Will it be hard for me to get in?
Reply 43

I see. So if your a mature student with good grades is it harder to get in? Like if you get 3A's, and your 23, how hard is it to get a place?
Original post by 3mmz
So i am predicted AAB/AAA

Will it be hard for me to get in?

That depends on the course you're applying for and your personal statement and references, no one can categorically say if you'll get in our not, although obviously those are good grades and should help.
Original post by boateng
I see. So if your a mature student with good grades is it harder to get in? Like if you get 3A's, and your 23, how hard is it to get a place?

Actually good grades as a mature student will improve your chances as you won't need to explain or try to balance poor grades, and they're still relatively recent results for you. But remember to craft a good personal statement showing passion and interest in your subject to boost your chances :smile:
Hi

I am planning on applying to soas for masters in law. Is soas better than manchester for law? Keeping in mind the league table rankings?

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply