The Student Room Group

Bad A Levels. What are my options now?

So this was my final year of A Levels...Overall these are the grades I got...

Chem - D
Human Bio - E
Psychology - D

Now a lot of things are going through my mind. Am emotionally just...Crap. I'd thought that some of the resits were good and I only expected Chem to be really bad, because I find that subject real challenging. I just hoped for at least a C in all my subjects, but in terms with being realistic, obviously am not going to get anywhere now. My mom is furious. Just feel like such a let down and angry at myself. It is my fault. I didn't give 100% but still definitely a lot more effort than last year!

But that's not my question on my mind. What is on my mind now is the fact, is there any kind of opportunity for me? I feel like "This is it. I have no where to go. Nowhere to turn to. I am just gonna end up getting a job and never going to Uni. For the future, I would like to do nursing. I just really want to know, is there any other options for me, despite my grades? Please help :frown:
I know this must feel like the world is collapsing for you, but it's not the end of the world I promise. There are lots and lots of people who don't achieve at A-level but find other things that they're very successful at - some even end up at university years later following resits/access courses.

Give yourself a bit of time to think and reflect and to research the options available to you :yep:
Reply 2
But now all of a sudden. My mom has said not to do a gap year and is making me go through clearing.
I haven't applied through UCAS though. Or does this matter at all?
Reply 3
That what I was asking my mom :s-smilie:

She's suddenly decided to take it into her own hands and apply me for clearing. Yet I am not sure how she can do that when I have not applied through UCAS before :/

All I'm asking is that even possible?
Reply 4
You can be a nurse with those grades.
Maybe join the army/ navy as a nurse, they will train and pay you.

I know a girl that done that, and now she is at uni of bham doing some degree.

Original post by MangaDreams

Chem - D
Human Bio - E
Psychology - D

Now a lot of things are going through my mind. Am emotionally just...Crap. I'd thought that some of the resits were good and I only expected Chem to be really bad, because I find that subject real challenging. I just hoped for at least a C in all my subjects, but in terms with being realistic, obviously am not going to get anywhere now. My mom is furious. Just feel like such a let down and angry at myself. It is my fault. I didn't give 100% but still definitely a lot more effort than last year!

But that's not my question on my mind. What is on my mind now is the fact, is there any kind of opportunity for me? I feel like "This is it. I have no where to go. Nowhere to turn to. I am just gonna end up getting a job and never going to Uni. For the future, I would like to do nursing. I just really want to know, is there any other options for me, despite my grades? Please help :frown:
Reply 5
That's what I thought too.

This is probably in the wrong area to talk about; but my mom is helping to get me through Uni, so she is going to pay the 9K. And I also feel like, because she didn't get the chance to go Uni, she's really pushing and pushing me to just get on with. Fair enough, because time is precious and I can get too relaxed. But yeah, I just need the backbone to tell her what plans I want to do. I mean we all hate disappointing our parents but I guess sometimes we just need them to realise that we are happy with whatever plans we make. Maybe I have been silly and not listened to her, but still can't help but feel slightly controlled.

I mean all I'd like to do is work with kids, nursing in fact. There is other options to get to Uni to do a nursing course right?

But thankyou for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by u0b2
You can be a nurse with those grades.
Maybe join the army/ navy as a nurse, they will train and pay you.

I know a girl that done that, and now she is at uni of bham doing some degree.

Thankyou ~

Will look into that :smile:
Reply 7
Trust me. It's not over for you and don't ever believe it is over. I got exactly the same results as you last August and I've started to repair some of the damage I did while in sixth-form. My E in Psychology got brought up to a C in one year. If you really want something you'll keep going until you achieve it.

You could look at resitting some of your modules as an external candidate or even what I did; which was restudy AS Psychology at evening college. There are options available to you. Just like EierVonSatan said; take a few days to reflect on things, research what your options properly and start from there.

Whatever you decide to do; if you want to become a nurse, don't give up that dream until you've achieved it :smile:
Reply 8
Oh man, that's not fair. But least you can say to yourself that you done what you wanted to do and you done it for yourself :biggrin:

Yeah, I now realise maybe it is just me. Just being a worry wart and being scared of doing anything for myself. I can do, but just so little. Had a proper chat with my mom; so now I am going to apply, go through clearing, phone up Uni's and at least try and ask. If not I have considered foundation or maybe BTEC; got some researching to do! But I want nothing more than to be a nurse and care for people. I am 100% of that! :smile: Just being positive now and for once trying to step up. If I do end up doing a gap year, there's options too for that like you said.

Thankyou so much! Feel a lot more pumped up for all this!

& Thankyou for everyone for the messages/advice :biggrin:
Reply 9

Chem - D
Human Bio - E
Psychology - D

Sorry to hear you're feeling so down. It isn't the end of the world and you do still have options and ways into nursing.

One is to look at entering through foundation degree courses. These last two years and then if you do well you continue onto the last two years of a full degree. This lets you enter a degree that would have required higher grades in the first place. It takes four, rather than three, years to complete the degree but the usual grants and loans are available for EU/home students. Read about the UWE Foundation in Health Professions to see how it works. This requires 120 UCAS points and you already have 160. This may be a better option for you than trying to get onto a nursing degree immediately which requires high grades and is very competitive. It also allows you to build up your confidence and people who enter vocational courses this way often do better in the end than those who take the shorter route! The funding system for nursing degrees is different and involves payment of the fees by the NHS and a bursary for living costs. It sounds as if you need to do a bit more research into how it all works and read some of the available courses and maybe talk over this option with your mum as she is being so supportive.

Good luck! You'll get there in the end one way or another.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Chem - D
Human Bio - E
Psychology - D

There are other ways you can get into university, for example you could apply to take a foundation course in something, and then eventually top it up with a 'top up' one year course which makes the foundation degree become a proper degree. The beauty of this is that foundation degrees are much lower grade requirements such as D's etc in order to be accepted. So maybe try looking on UCAS search again (clearing) to see what foundation degrees they have left?

If not that, maybe go back to college again and take subjects that will be easier to get C or above in, I tool nearly all 'Applied' subjects which means there is percentage wise more coursework than exams which may get you a better grade- it's less academically challenging (this suited me down to the ground!). :smile: If your college does do it try Applied Health and Social care because this will help with your Nursing career a lot. One friend of mine did BTEC Health and Social care and now she has been accepted on a Child Nursing course- just by doing this subject. So yeah try some BTEC subjects too.

Or simply go out and get some experience in nursing by maybe working as a Health care assistant, not only would you get paid but you will gain valuable practical experience that others at university doing nursing will lack. Then you can apply to some universities as they often accept people with years of experience over grades.

Whatever you decide I would advise you to go back to your college and ask to talk to a Career's adviser as they have experience with similar situations you are in currently in now. Don't fret you just have to remember you have to try harder next time, I speak from experience after doing 3 years at college.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by EierVonSatan
I know this must feel like the world is collapsing for you, but it's not the end of the world I promise. There are lots and lots of people who don't achieve at A-level but find other things that they're very successful at - some even end up at university years later following resits/access courses.

Give yourself a bit of time to think and reflect and to research the options available to you :yep:

This message if for everyone to see as well. Basically, at the moment, I haven't actually sent a completed application through UCAS. Like right now I am in the middle of filling it out kind of thing. It is possible to still be able to go through clearing and be on a waiting list etc. I already phoned 2 Universities - De Monford said that they are full anyways and there would be no chance if I tried to put an application now anyways and that's it's best for 2013 instead. Wolvo said the same thing that they had a deadline so wouldn't take me on.
Basically, I don't want to waste an application to apply for this year going through clearing. Is there chance or not? Shall I still phone up other Universities? I've seen my tutor and she says it's too late since I haven't done an application and there would no point in trying this year. My mom doesn't seem to understand this so she's still pushing me and pushing.
This message if for everyone to see as well. Basically, at the moment, I haven't actually sent a completed application through UCAS. Like right now I am in the middle of filling it out kind of thing. It is possible to still be able to go through clearing and be on a waiting list etc. I already phoned 2 Universities - De Monford said that they are full anyways and there would be no chance if I tried to put an application now anyways and that's it's best for 2013 instead. Wolvo said the same thing that they had a deadline so wouldn't take me on.

Basically, I don't want to waste an application to apply for this year going through clearing. Is there chance or not? Shall I still phone up other Universities? I've seen my tutor and she says it's too late since I haven't done an application and there would no point in trying this year. My mom doesn't seem to understand this so she's still pushing me and pushing.

You can still apply for 2012 entry via clearing, up until 20th September. However, the faster you can get this done the better since places are being taken every day :yes: You will need a reference or the details of someone willing to provide you with one quickly in order for this to work so bare that in mind :smile:

Personally, if I was you I would wait until the next cycle to apply, but you don't really lose anything for trying right now. You can simply reapply next year if you don't find what you are looking for (and I'd urge you not to just take the first thing that you are offered, even under pressure from your mom!) and you won't be disadvantaged. Hope that helps!
Reply 13
Original post by EierVonSatan
You can still apply for 2012 entry via clearing, up until 20th September. However, the faster you can get this done the better since places are being taken every day :yes: You will need a reference or the details of someone willing to provide you with one quickly in order for this to work so bare that in mind :smile:

Personally, if I was you I would wait until the next cycle to apply, but you don't really lose anything for trying right now. You can simply reapply next year if you don't find what you are looking for (and I'd urge you not to just take the first thing that you are offered, even under pressure from your mom!) and you won't be disadvantaged. Hope that helps!

But doesn't it cost to send a completed application through? That would mean I would waste an application.
I can try, but I feel like it's best for next year, the Universities I phoned and my mom phoned say that the nursing courses are full :/

But thanks for that! Least am clear about the application now :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest